A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 4.2 transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A6 4.2 transmission issues

I have a 2000 Audi A6 4.2 automatic with transmission issues. The "foot" symbol near the shifter for the shift lock solenoid is constantly clicking and flashing. I have a cheap Chinese cable off of E-Bay and VCDS Lite shareware but I am unable to get into "Auto Trans" controller. I am able to get into Engine(01) controller, ABS, Xenon, and etc. If I am able to get into Engine, shouwld I be abel to get into Auto Trans?

The dash does not have CEL and the PRND432 are not all lit up and it does show the gear the you are shifting into. When I press the brake pedal, the clicking of the solenoid is a little faster and my brake lights do come on. When I am in "D", I need to rev up the engine to get up to speed and it seems like that I only have 3rd gear. I have also opened up the TCM under the passenger side carpet and it is dry. Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Get the real cable and...

Get the real cable for starters. You get what you pay for here. If you suspect tranny, need to see those codes, and you won't see them without accessing TCU. Rip off junk typically doesn't even begin to get into many of the modules. Or, try to find a friend or local connection to get access to one.

Consider too if your brake light (pedal) switch is the issue. Solenoid needs to know if foot is on brake to allow you to shift to park and reverse. Sounds from a distance (guess) like maybe that is acting up on you. Cheap part, but cheap cable probably won't tell you that possible easy fix either.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Some chinese cables work just fine. Also there is no "real" cable for VCDS lite. Try and find someone in your area that also has VCDS and have them try as well. If they also can't get in I suspect it is being caused by the problem you are having. Very well could be the brake switch. Do you know if your brake lights flash in addition to the "apply brake" light on the shifter? If so replace the brake switch.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you MP4.2+6.0 and the_duke for responding. I took my car to a European import used cars sales/repair shop specializing in Audi and BMW's. The mechanic has not heard of my shift lock solenoid clicking issue and he tried to connect to the TCM with his expensive/professional scanner and it also was not ale to connect to the TCM. The mechanic also said to check all the fuses near the driver side door. All fuses have been checked and have continuity.

I think my transmission issue is baffling everyone. I even called couple of repair shops in Ohio and NH with no luck. People even said that sometimes when there is water in the TCM, the scanner would still communicate with the TCM and obtain fault codes.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Aldrich67
Thank you MP4.2+6.0 and the_duke for responding. I took my car to a European import used cars sales/repair shop specializing in Audi and BMW's. The mechanic has not heard of my shift lock solenoid clicking issue and he tried to connect to the TCM with his expensive/professional scanner and it also was not ale to connect to the TCM. The mechanic also said to check all the fuses near the driver side door. All fuses have been checked and have continuity.

I think my transmission issue is baffling everyone. I even called couple of repair shops in Ohio and NH with no luck. People even said that sometimes when there is water in the TCM, the scanner would still communicate with the TCM and obtain fault codes.
If you cannot connect to the TCM it's the (1) cable to the TCM (2) connections to the cable/TCM (3) TCM. I'm surprised the technician apparently doesn't know this.

Try a known good TCM.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Any chance you have an aftermarket stereo? Plus...

It was an issue with some shop equipment, at least for a while. I saw it at one point first person in some operator documentation at a shop. I had an RNS in mine (Euro CD based nav) and four or five years ago shop could not make a connection to OBDII during a routine smog check, even though I could reliably with VCDS. Later smog checks had no similar issue connecting.

Brake light switch failure is pretty common on some Audis, and obviously shift solenoid needs a signal from somewhere that foot is on brake to disable shift lockout.

Also, has your TCU been swimming? As in, problem with the under hood plenum cover where water runs down through the HVAC filter and often out the back floor heater vent outlet, which then heads forward to the front carpet if the car is sloped downward and with the TCU stupidly beneath that front carpet. If tranny is shifting normally though and no SAFE mode, I would look more at the solenoid set up proper, including the brake switch trigger.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-10-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just wanted to let everyone know how my issue was resolved. Bought a used TCM with exact same part number from a junkyard. Replaced the broken one(plug and play) and the TCM is communicating and with no errors. The clicking and blinking light from the shift lock solenoid also went away.

Not sure why the TCM fried all of a sudden in the first place but everything is back to normal.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aldrich67
Just wanted to let everyone know how my issue was resolved. Bought a used TCM with exact same part number from a junkyard. Replaced the broken one(plug and play) and the TCM is communicating and with no errors. The clicking and blinking light from the shift lock solenoid also went away.

Not sure why the TCM fried all of a sudden in the first place but everything is back to normal.
Good to hear that! No water in the TCM?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

No water in the TCM. Bone dry and no sign of oxidation or corrosion as I took off the aluminum covers to check the internal circuit board.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be plenty of "real" licensed ross techs up your way. Just do the regular scan.

Quick Reply: A6 4.2 transmission issues