A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

.? About Audi A6 Quattro.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .? About Audi A6 Quattro.

Hi I'm new to the audi world looking into buying a 98 a6 Quattro I was just a little confused the fellow says it's a 2.8 v6 5 spd I was under the impression quattros only came with the v8 or the bi turbo 2.7 also any common problems with these cars.?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

The C5 came in three engine types :

2.8 v6
2.7 turbo v6
4.2 v8

Common problems: automatic transmissions, CEL/MIL, suspension, brakes, hardware.

Things that last a long time if maintained properly: engine, body (slow to rust).

If you buy an Audi, do yourself a favor and buy a VCDS from Ross Tech. It will almost surely pay for itself the first time you avoid a trip to a mechanic/dealer.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get it looked at by a competent independent Audi shop, and get an estimate of whatever "catch-up" maintenance it needs.
Cheap Audis are expensive.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeb944

2.8 v6
2.7 turbo v6
4.2 v8

Common problems: automatic transmissions, CEL/MIL, suspension, brakes, hardware.

Things that last a long time if maintained properly: engine, body (slow to rust).

If you buy an Audi, do yourself a favor and buy a VCDS from Ross Tech. It will almost surely pay for itself the first time you avoid a trip to a mechanic/dealer.
The 3.0 v6 was in the C5 from mid 02 to 04 replacing the base 2.8.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944

2.8 v6
2.7 turbo v6
4.2 v8

Thanks for the tips I will be purchasing one of those if i do end up trading my Silverado for it what specifically common goes on the auto trans.? What style suspension setup do these have.? I'm fairly mechanically inclined I've almost always owned gm aside from a few bmws and Yotas. I've built a few mini trucks too..also are most of the bolts metric?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Get it looked at by a competent independent Audi shop, and get an estimate of whatever "catch-up" maintenance it needs.
Cheap Audis are expensive.
Will do thank you I have a really good mechanic he's not specifically Audi but he deals with a lot of German vehicles also he said he just had all the fluids flushed serviced and aligned this month anything common problems with the Quattro.?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All bolts are metric, many are star (triple square) or Torx.
Suspension is a-arms, but with separate front and rear bars instead of a one piece A-arm. Bushings and ballpoints.
Front bushings like to fail (40K to 80K miles). Most are steel springs some are air.
Most fluids are specific, but you don't need VAG (VwAudiGroup), as many German OEMs sell equivalent fluids.
Most common problems with Quatro is lack of fluid maintenance. Rear seal on center diff likes to leak after 100K and 12 or so years.
Front diff has no drain, and fill to 1/2" below plug instead of at plug. Other diffs are normal, fill to plug edge.
Transmissions tend not to get serviced. Audi said "lifetime" or 100K (lots of arguments).
ZF (Trans OEM) says 40K first fill 80K after, but in different literature says 40k to 80K depending on type of service.
Some mechanics say if you didn't keep up on trans fluid, then don't start. I (and ZF) say old wife's tale, new fluid will not hurt a good transmission and old fluid will not help worn out one.
Timing belts are critical.
Drive and have fun.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

All bolts are metric, many are star (triple square) or Torx.
Suspension is a-arms, but with separate front and rear bars instead of a one piece A-arm. Bushings and ballpoints.
Front bushings like to fail (40K to 80K miles). Most are steel springs some are air.
Most fluids are specific, but you don't need VAG (VwAudiGroup), as many German OEMs sell equivalent fluids.
Most common problems with Quatro is lack of fluid maintenance. Rear seal on center diff likes to leak after 100K and 12 or so years.
Front diff has no drain, and fill to 1/2" below plug instead of at plug. Other diffs are normal, fill to plug edge.
Transmissions tend not to get serviced. Audi said "lifetime" or 100K (lots of arguments).
ZF (Trans OEM) says 40K first fill 80K after, but in different literature says 40k to 80K depending on type of service.
Some mechanics say if you didn't keep up on trans fluid, then don't start. I (and ZF) say old wife's tale, new fluid will not hurt a good transmission and old fluid will not help worn out one.
Timing belts are critical.
Drive and have fun.
Awesome very much appreciated..he never told me the km just said it was low also has receipts it just got a complete fluid change abesoutly everything but I don't know I feel like there has to be something wrong cause he wants 4 grand for his car and I was asking $2500 for my truck or 3 grand with my 22" wheels and he offered to trade and bending backwards it seems just trying to make this deal happen. I'm probably going to do it even if there is something wrong I know people interested in these cars and I have other vehicles to drive also. If I don't end up trading it(I want everything lol) I'll defiantly lower it you have any experience with lowering theses.?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, stock is plenty low.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, stock is plenty low.
I can't do that lol I'm a lowrider kinda guy my s10 is bagged my Tahoe is lowered 6" ..so these have coil overs.?

Quick Reply: .? About Audi A6 Quattro.