A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ABS module and dash display

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS module and dash display

Hi,

I have a 2001 A6 Quattro 2.8. My ABS/emergency brake light go on and flash when I start the car (most of the time). Sometimes it will go off while driving and I can feel the ABS engage again. I did some research and found that this is a common problem. I've found two options and was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this a successfully fixed it. I saw there is a website (Cheap-ABS) that you can send in your ABS module and they repair it. The other option I was considering was purchasing a new one online and taking it to a mechanic to replace it. I think the mechanic quoted the repair at $1300 and I'm not sure if that included a new part. I'm not even sure if I understand if the old one can be repaired.

Also, I can't read the warning on the center display because it is faded. I've read about people replacing the LCD screen or fixing the connection (ribbons) behind it. Trying to figure out my options with this as well.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Nichole
Old 08-19-2015, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default $1300 is unsane. Get it repaired.

Originally Posted by Nichole77
Hi,

I have a 2001 A6 Quattro 2.8. My ABS/emergency brake light go on and flash when I start the car (most of the time). Sometimes it will go off while driving and I can feel the ABS engage again. I did some research and found that this is a common problem. I've found two options and was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this a successfully fixed it. I saw there is a website (Cheap-ABS) that you can send in your ABS module and they repair it. The other option I was considering was purchasing a new one online and taking it to a mechanic to replace it. I think the mechanic quoted the repair at $1300 and I'm not sure if that included a new part. I'm not even sure if I understand if the old one can be repaired.

Also, I can't read the warning on the center display because it is faded. I've read about people replacing the LCD screen or fixing the connection (ribbons) behind it. Trying to figure out my options with this as well.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Nichole
It's trivial to remove it from the ABS pump assembly, wrap the ABS pump interface in tinfoil and rubber band it (and you can then drive w/o ABS but be careful of rear brake bias) and send the module to module master or similar…I had bought a used module on eBay (if you do this get the eXACT model number) and it worked fine but I sent my old one in to get it repaired anyway (Sorry, it's a 2K4.2A6Q ABS module). Well, it's kind of irritating to remove the left front wheel well liner to get to the bottom two screws on the ABS module...

Similarly the instrument cluster can be removed and sent to a cluster repair/overhaul facility (in the US at least) for LCD replacement. If your car doesn't have an immobilizer circuit you can even still drive the car although without instrumentation. We were able to drive the 2K4.2A6 w/o the cluster in.

I used ModuleMaster
Old 08-20-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

lol I saw the "trivial" comment and was going to post , but I saw your added comment about that pain in the *** fender liner to get to two damn screws .. too true ...

even to read the number off is a PITA , if they had just put the sticker in a different location ..