A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi Code Scanner

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Code Scanner

Hi Guys,
What is the best Audi code scanner for under $100? I want the scanner to be able to scan my Toyoda and Honda too. I used to have the $50 Equus scanner, but I want something a little better with more feature. My kid damage it, and I need a replacement.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Best scan tool for VAG cars is VAG–COM, which ...

does everything that the OEM VAG scan tool, which dealers use, does. The adaptor and software are available from Ross–Tech for about $220. If you only want to scan OBD II codes, then any generic scan tool will do that. But an OBD II scanner is only able to check the basic emission DTCs, nothing else.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Or you can buy $20 Ebay Cable and use the free version of the Vag Com Software and do basic stuff....

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=15401625

Works great gets most stuff done..
Old 06-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I heard a lot about the windows based VAG–COM. What are the major advantages of VAG–COM over the generic scan tool? Can it work on my Japanese vehicles too?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

VAG-COM is strictly for VAG (Volkswagen AG) cars, which includes VW, Audi, SEAT, and Skoda. Ot will also operate as a generic OBD II scan tool. Here is a description from their website (http://www.ross-tech.com/):

"What's the difference between VAG-COM and an OBD-II Scan-Tool?

OBD-II is a government mandated diagnostic protocol that is primarily aimed at diagnosing emissions-related problems. An OBD-II scan tool will work in many different brands of cars. VAG-COM uses VW's proprietary diagnostic protocol and will only work in VW/Audi vehicles. Although you can use an OBD-II Scan Tool in an OBD-II compliant (1996 or newer) VW or Audi, an OBD-II Scan Tool can only talk to the engine, not the numerous other "intelligent" systems in the car. Want to reprogram your central locks or your Radio? Diagnose a problem with your ABS, Airbags, or Automatic Transmission? Re-align your Immobilizer after swapping ECU's? Reset your Service Reminder Indicators? Communicate with a pre-1996 model (not OBD-II compliant) car? An OBD-II Scan-Tool can't do any of these things. Please see our OBD-II Page for information on using the Generic OBD-II function in our Interface. Want some reasons to choose VAG-COM over a generic OBD-II scan tool? See this Real World Comparison.

Our latest version of VAG-COM adds Generic OBD-II functionality, see the Download Page for more info."
Old 06-20-2009, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you don't buy their adapter and become registered, you won't receive any support form them. For the small price difference, it is worth it to buy the real thing, not a cheap knock–off.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:36 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I have both VAG-COM and a generic scanner. I bought a small, palm sized scanner at NAPA for less than $100. It's easy to use on all the cars.

But I also have VAG-COM for more involved diagnotics on the Audi. VAG-COM connects to all systems in the car, and is super useful.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I never own the windows based scanner tool. I know that VAG-COM included more codes on the Audi/VW, but do it included more diagnostic information, such as (point us to the problem area and potential fixes)?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by new04quest
I never own the windows based scanner tool. I know that VAG-COM included more codes on the Audi/VW, but do it included more diagnostic information, such as (point us to the problem area and potential fixes)?
That's what the internet and good ole fashion diagnostics are for.

VAG-COM goes far beyond simply pulling codes. Measuring blocks and output tests are great for tracking issues, and logging is a great feature for sporatic problems.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Guru

Not to mention that the free version is bare bones.

Quick Reply: Audi Code Scanner