A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Broke down and replaced radio on 02' S6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 676 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Broke down and replaced radio on 02' S6 Avant

I finally broke down and ordered a replacement radio for my 2002 S6 Avant to replace the stock Symphony II w/ Bose. I'll keep you posted on the replacement progress but here is an outline of my use case.

I wanted to retain the stock appearance, however, after years of driving and battling my Sirius XM wires hanging off of the dashboard and devices plugged into my cigarette lighter, it dawned on me that be keeping 'stock' appearance, my driving experience was suffering. My two primary radio uses are XM radio and listening to Podcasts which I have to do from my phone and I can never get the volume adjusted correctly. I actually appreciate rental cars when I can use blue tooth to listen to my podcasts. As for XM, I am so tired of listening to a ball game and having to adjust the FM radio station for the FM blast connection because my Symphony II does not have an AUX port. Beyond all of this if I could get a Navigation solution which mitigated my using my phone and dealing with that safety debacle, that would be fantastic. At the end of the day phones are better communications devices than navigators. I looked at buying a used RSN-E and at what that would entail, however, it would not solve the XM issue or even the blue tooth without my much loathed wires still sliding around on the dashboard.

So I broke down and used a lot of the advice on this forum and purchased Pioneer AVIC 8200NEX with all of the wiring harness and adapters from Enfig (Talk to Christian). Finally, I decided if I am going to go this route, I may as well add the reverse camera that the head unit is already set up for, so I purchased the Pioneer rearview camera. Here is the rundown. I'll post a review next week.

Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX In Dash Double Din DVD CD Navigation Receiver with 7" Touchscreen
SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit for Satellite Radio
PIONEER ND-BC8 Universal Rearview Camera
Enfig SRWH-AUD2-HILO Enfig SRWH-AUD2-HILO
Enfig AVIC-8200NEX (PNP-PIO0236) Enfig PNP Plug and Play Adapters for aftermarket radios (Ensure that you select your NEW radio.)
Enfig AAA-VWAUD2 Enfig AAA-VWAUD2
Enfig RMK15-A6 Enfig RMK15-A6
RMK Cage Brackets
Enfig - RMK-CAGE
RMK15-A6 (frame)
ENFIG RMK-TRIM-UNI-BLACK
Enfig MIC-UNI1 Enfig MIC-UNI1
Enfig 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male adapter
Enfig MIC-UNI1

Last edited by A4 Phil; 10-18-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Waste of time but knock yourself out.

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
I finally broke down and ordered a replacement radio for my 2002 S6 Avant to replace the stock Symphony II w/ Bose. I'll keep you posted on the replacement progress but here is an outline of my use case.

I wanted to retain the stock appearance, however, after years of driving and battling my Sirius XM wires hanging off of the dashboard and devices plugged into my cigarette lighter, it dawned on me that be keeping 'stock' appearance, my driving experience was suffering. My two primary radio uses are XM radio and listening to Podcasts which I have to do from my phone and I can never get the volume adjusted correctly. I actually appreciate rental cars when I can use blue tooth to listen to my podcasts. As for XM, I am so tired of listening to a ball game and having to adjust the FM radio station for the FM blast connection because my Symphony II does not have an AUX port. Beyond all of this if I could get a Navigation solution which mitigated my using my phone and dealing with that safety debacle, that would be fantastic. At the end of the day phones are better communications devices than navigators. I looked at buying a used RSN-E and at what that would entail, however, it would not solve the XM issue or even the blue tooth without my much loathed wires still sliding around on the dashboard.

So I broke down and used a lot of the advice on this forum and purchased Pioneer AVIC 8200NEX with all of the wiring harness and adapters from Enfig (Talk to Christian). Finally, I decided if I am going to go this route, I may as well add the reverse camera that the head unit is already set up for, so I purchased the Pioneer rearview camera. Here is the rundown. I'll post a review next week.

Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX In Dash Double Din DVD CD Navigation Receiver with 7" Touchscreen
SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit for Satellite Radio
PIONEER ND-BC8 Universal Rearview Camera
Enfig SRWH-AUD2-HILO Enfig SRWH-AUD2-HILO
Enfig AVIC-8200NEX (PNP-PIO0236) Enfig PNP Plug and Play Adapters for aftermarket radios (Ensure that you select your NEW radio.)
Enfig AAA-VWAUD2 Enfig AAA-VWAUD2
Enfig RMK15-A6 Enfig RMK15-A6
RMK Cage Brackets
Enfig - RMK-CAGE
RMK15-A6 (frame)
ENFIG RMK-TRIM-UNI-BLACK
Enfig MIC-UNI1 Enfig MIC-UNI1
Enfig 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male adapter
Enfig MIC-UNI1
A DICE interface to the OEM CDC output coupled with a $15 Bluetooth adaptor gives you the Bluetooth capability.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
A DICE interface to the OEM CDC output coupled with a $15 Bluetooth adaptor gives you the Bluetooth capability.
Yes, Thank you. You mentioned this in another thread and I researched it. This would not solve my nest of SiriusXM wires on my dash board and only exacerbate that point. If Blue Tooth was my only issue, I think that this might be the solution.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Bottom line is that I should have done this years ago. Any misgivings I had about losing the stock look have completely evaporated. This particular head looks amazing installed and it clears up my rats nest of extraneous XM cables and other nonsense. Oh and as a shocking aside, my awful stereo speaker popping issues are completely gone with the Enfig wiring harness. The speakers sound amazing.

Photos follow:
Attached Thumbnails Broke down and replaced radio on 02' S6 Avant-wp_20161024_12_20_34_rich.jpg   Broke down and replaced radio on 02' S6 Avant-wp_20161024_12_19_10_rich.jpg   Broke down and replaced radio on 02' S6 Avant-wp_20161025_07_27_16_rich.jpg   Broke down and replaced radio on 02' S6 Avant-wp_20161025_07_39_41_rich.jpg   Broke down and replaced radio on 02' S6 Avant-wp_20161025_07_28_17_rich.jpg  

Broke down and replaced radio on 02' S6 Avant-wp_20161025_07_28_02_rich.jpg  
Old 03-31-2017, 12:33 AM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks clean, wow. :-) Kudos.

~Tanya
Old 06-17-2017, 11:16 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great.
I too, after years of contemplating replacing the stereo just ordered the Kenwood DDX9703S with apple car play and backup camera. It's supposed to arrive Monday.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX...S.html?tp=5684