A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Broken Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
I just did valve covers on my 2.7t and that was a pain in the ***. Although not nearly as bad as my 4.2 in the A8. I can't imagine getting the exhaust manifold/turbo loose while the engine is still in the car. Seems like it would just be easier to drop the motor.
Good point but we don't know what engine the OP has yet and that's a game changer.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a follow up on this post for any one who might be interested. I ordered the inspection camera as stated before, took the spark plugs out the valves appeared to seated. There was none of the carbon buildup gone like the valves impacted on the pistons in any of the cylinders. After this I took a chance on just buying a camshaft instead of the head. I put everything back together and turned the motor over and the car cranked and was running. It was making skipping noise so I thought they were bent. I let everything sit for the weekend thinking I was about to have to remove the motor. I gave everything another look and found that the egr vavle was not seated all the way the metal line that bolts to the bottom hole of the egr valve had got in between the egr and the cylinder head which was causing an exhaust leak fixed that and now everything is running fine no skip motor sounds and runs good I must have got lucky.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats on having one go your way! Good catch on the noise, EGR.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What year and engine?

Originally Posted by jc1113
This is a follow up on this post for any one who might be interested. I ordered the inspection camera as stated before, took the spark plugs out the valves appeared to seated. There was none of the carbon buildup gone like the valves impacted on the pistons in any of the cylinders. After this I took a chance on just buying a camshaft instead of the head. I put everything back together and turned the motor over and the car cranked and was running. It was making skipping noise so I thought they were bent. I let everything sit for the weekend thinking I was about to have to remove the motor. I gave everything another look and found that the egr vavle was not seated all the way the metal line that bolts to the bottom hole of the egr valve had got in between the egr and the cylinder head which was causing an exhaust leak fixed that and now everything is running fine no skip motor sounds and runs good I must have got lucky.
Good to hear but no C5 engine I know has a EGR valve??
Old 07-16-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default He probably meant to say what Audi calls Kombi valve.

Originally Posted by jcman
Good to hear but no C5 engine I know has a EGR valve??
which is really a secondary air injection system into exhaust.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok I changed the wording I'm no ASE mechanic just a DIY. Also, the engine is the Audi 2.7t for anyone interested. I just wanted to reply to the thread that the issue was resolved. The main reason is because most of the articles and threads I read said the valves would most likely be bent. One even said 100% of the time if something happened with the timing. So maybe just a high percentage because mine seems to be OK. Thanks to all for posting.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default My mantra is they either get loctite or antiseize.

For anyone that has to remove the camshafts and reinstall them, I recommend putting a small amount of blue locktite on cap bolts. I torqued them down and rechecked them and they vibrated loose on the exhast cam for some reason on one side. Better safe than sorry.
Unless the new bolts have some type of anaerobic adhesive or locking compound on them from the factory. Many new bolts from Audi have a brown substance/stripe on them and are effectively the same as loctite. If I reuse one of these bolts I generally use blue loctite. I've even used red loctite on relatively small bolts, they're just slightly more difficult to remove. Never had to use heat on red loctite bolts.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I changed the wording I'm no ASE mechanic just a DIY. Also, the engine is the Audi 2.7t for anyone interested. I just wanted to reply to the thread that the issue was resolved. The main reason is because most of the articles and threads I read said the valves would most likely be bent. One even said 100% of the time if something happened with the timing. So maybe just a high percentage because mine seems to be OK. Thanks to all for posting.
There is a big difference between a broken timing belt/chain and what happened to you.
How many cylinders were not turning from the break? My guess is probably one, and if that one had both valves closed (most likely resting position) then they would not get bent.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

All cylinders were turning the cam broke not the crank. The exhaust cam broke just after the first lobe the exhaust cam is turning the intake cam via chain so only one valve was working on the passenger side so 14 were not working. My best guess is that after it broke all 14 slammed shut. To my best recollection there is a position where they are all shut. Must have got lucky. When it broke I was getting on an interstate so I was about 3/4 throttle and about 60mph when it broke.

Last edited by jc1113; 07-17-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

there is not a position where they are all shut in a complete cam .. however that is a possibility when the cam is broken that could happen. you would have to look at the cam profile in both halfs. regardless you got very lucky.

Quick Reply: Broken Camshaft