A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

C5 3.0L quattro muffler delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 3.0L quattro muffler delete

just recently did a muffler delete to see how it sounds because it seems that no one gives the 3.0 any love! it sounds great and was only cost me $75 and about 4 hours of work. the design I came up with is a clamp on so the stock mufflers can be put back on in 10 minutes. if anyone else is contemplating this DIY project, I highly recommend it. I bought some pipes at the local auto store, used a flux feed welder to put it all together, and welded on some bent 1/2 rebar to use the stock rubber mounts. looks stock, and sounds great!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by franczakma
just recently did a muffler delete to see how it sounds because it seems that no one gives the 3.0 any love! it sounds great and was only cost me $75 and about 4 hours of work. the design I came up with is a clamp on so the stock mufflers can be put back on in 10 minutes. if anyone else is contemplating this DIY project, I highly recommend it. I bought some pipes at the local auto store, used a flux feed welder to put it all together, and welded on some bent 1/2 rebar to use the stock rubber mounts. looks stock, and sounds great!
It's the back pressure that the exhaust valves need, but the resonator and cats might have enough without muffs. The 3.0 uses the same diameter pipe as the 4.2 so the flow is very sufficient, probably sounds way better then a rice "fart cannon" high rev Honda giving a tad bit of snappy pull too!
Old 07-02-2015, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default TPIUWA

This post is useless without audio.

Also, depending on where you live, the requirement(s) for emissions, safety inspections, etc., the lack of muffler(s) is a #fail. It's one thing to put in glass pack mufflers or other aftermarkets but generally a muffler delete is also a moving violation/ticket depending on the LEO's attitude (and yours!).

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 07-02-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
This post is useless without audio.

Also, depending on where you live, the requirement(s) for emissions, safety inspections, etc., the lack of muffler(s) is a #fail. It's one thing to put in glass pack mufflers or other aftermarkets but generally a muffler delete is also a moving violation/ticket depending on the LEO's attitude (and yours!).

I'm working on that audio file, I'm new to this so its a learning process. I live in Ohio and I've only been confronted by a police officer once. I politely made the point that my car is not nearly as loud as a Harley and he let me go without even a warning. I also ran an OBD scan and the only code I got was the front passenger O2 sensor (sensor was bad long before the exhaust project)
Old 07-07-2015, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default So the Ohio cop bought the argument that others are worse than you?

I'm working on that audio file, I'm new to this so its a learning process. I live in Ohio and I've only been confronted by a police officer once. I politely made the point that my car is not nearly as loud as a Harley and he let me go without even a warning. I also ran an OBD scan and the only code I got was the front passenger O2 sensor (sensor was bad long before the exhaust project)
Wow….I wonder if that works for speeding…Harleys are going faster than I was! LOL..good for you.
I can't even play the race card, but in DC/MD/NOVA they don't buy that line even for white guys.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audio?

Any progress on the audio aspect of this? I also have a 3.0L C5 A6 and Im considering this mod because I do want my car to sound better. Please post a link ASAP
Old 08-28-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

i'm thinking of this mod , well ,, because my muffler fell off...