A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cat Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
No Indy or repair shop is going to hang their rear out on this subject, it's a Federal EPA mandate enforced by state EPA agency's and some states take it up a step further...flash hacking can cause other problems so why take the chance on what some kiddies are doing with old VW's or Audi's on their last leg of milking the ride out.
Depends on where you live as to what a repair shop will do for you. They know what is ok in your area and what is not ok. The EPA has mandated cats for decades. And some people have been removing them for decades. Do your own research and make your own decision.

Us "kiddies" like to modify our rides and increase performance. Sometimes that means removing emissions devices on our "old" rides on their "last legs". I'm 40 years old by the way. And my Audi is 11 years old, in pristine condition with about 90k on the odometer.
The following 2 users liked this post by the_duke:
Cassisjo1970 (12-06-2022), Planckscale (01-29-2023)
Old 01-21-2015, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Depends on where you live as to what a repair shop will do for you. They know what is ok in your area and what is not ok. The EPA has mandated cats for decades. And some people have been removing them for decades. Do your own research and make your own decision.

Us "kiddies" like to modify our rides and increase performance. Sometimes that means removing emissions devices on our "old" rides on their "last legs". I'm 40 years old by the way. And my Audi is 11 years old, in pristine condition with about 90k on the odometer.
Your missing the point...and the kiddie's comment was not directed at you, but if you feel that you're in that category being responsible to the law spares no age group including big kids like me too...Give fellow members "good" advice that adheres to the guideline ethics of the forum.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

it is not "OKAY" in any area to delete a cat, you are breaking the law wherever you go ...

just coz "its been done for decades" does not make it correct, lawfull, or should be promoted here.

To be honest you might be 40 but you sound like my teenage son '"all the other kids are doing it "

Im sure you words are correct, you will find a place and it has been done, but please dont promote it here.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Airbag
it is not "OKAY" in any area to delete a cat, you are breaking the law wherever you go ...

just coz "its been done for decades" does not make it correct, lawfull, or should be promoted here.

To be honest you might be 40 but you sound like my teenage son '"all the other kids are doing it "

Im sure you words are correct, you will find a place and it has been done, but please dont promote it here.
Really? So none of the vendors on this forum sell catless down pipes? Or performance tunes that change emissions output? If such items are offered for sale i'm sure none of the members would ever buy them as they would violate the law. Besides they might make someone exceed the speed limit occasionally which is definitely against the law. I'm not advising this guy to go rob a bank to buy parts. Lighten up a little and realize there are some gray areas. If removing a cat violates the ethics of the forum you are going to have to cut many of your vendors that advertise as they sell products for that purpose. Of course they are for "off road use only" and no one ever uses them on a street car.

Finally my advise to the OP is do some research and make your own decision. Is it against the law? Technically yes. But so is speeding. There are laws and then there are laws.
The following users liked this post:
Cassisjo1970 (12-06-2022)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its not even as much about the law of it, than just knowing some people for no good reason remove the biggest emissions device on the car. Pollution is real you know, air quality is a real thing. Drive a car a few miles with a working emissions system, then park it in your garage and close the door while its running, you could be in there awhile before starting to feel sick. Take the cat off the same car, do the same thing, you wont last even a minute before its overwhelmingly full of unburned fuel stinging your eyes. To me its selfish for some people to decide not to follow something rather obviously good. An unblocked working cat creates almost no resistance in the exhaust, you get no performance benefit for removing a good cat.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Its not even as much about the law of it, than just knowing some people for no good reason remove the biggest emissions device on the car. Pollution is real you know, air quality is a real thing. Drive a car a few miles with a working emissions system, then park it in your garage and close the door while its running, you could be in there awhile before starting to feel sick. Take the cat off the same car, do the same thing, you wont last even a minute before its overwhelmingly full of unburned fuel stinging your eyes. To me its selfish for some people to decide not to follow something rather obviously good. An unblocked working cat creates almost no resistance in the exhaust, you get no performance benefit for removing a good cat.
could not agree more on all these points. why remove something that actually helps the environment, doesn't negatively impact your car, and won't cause you or others around your car to be sick - while it's running.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
could not agree more on all these points. why remove something that actually helps the environment, doesn't negatively impact your car, and won't cause you or others around your car to be sick - while it's running.
Agreed and the consensus in this forum is overwhelmingly for this and respects the law that enforces it, any adverse opinion these days is like swearing at a Amish picnic with a beer in hand....not appropriate.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Prospeeder

This is completely untrue. First, cat or no cat, suggesting that someone run their car in a closed garage is one of the most immoral statements I have read in a long time. Wow. Just wow. Also if you have that much unburned fuel coming out of the exhaust there is something seriously wrong with your car. Second while it is less of an issue on the NA motors the cats on turbo cars are way too small and seriously hinder performance. Now if we were talking about a newer vehicle it would be a different story. Manufacturers have finally learned to install adequately sized cats as to not hinder performance. Lastly I will agree that pollution is real. We should ban China immediately as they are dumping more pollution every day than our entire country does in a year. Regardless of how many of us delete our cats.
The following users liked this post:
Cassisjo1970 (12-06-2022)
Old 01-24-2015, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jcman
Agreed and the consensus in this forum is overwhelmingly for this and respects the law that enforces it, any adverse opinion these days is like swearing at a Amish picnic with a beer in hand....not appropriate.
So three people are a consensus? That's like saying gun control advocates are right and more gun laws will stop gun violence. Go read some posts concerning topics other than fixing issues. Read some of the topics about performance modifications. Search the word "piggy". You might find that considerably more people are concerned about removing their perfectly functioning cats. As far as the Amish picnic goes, there are Amish people and there are Amish people. Some are a little less orthodox than others.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitely agree

This is completely untrue. First, cat or no cat, suggesting that someone run their car in a closed garage is one of the most immoral statements I have read in a long time. Wow. Just wow. Also if you have that much unburned fuel coming out of the exhaust there is something seriously wrong with your car. Second while it is less of an issue on the NA motors the cats on turbo cars are way too small and seriously hinder performance. Now if we were talking about a newer vehicle it would be a different story. Manufacturers have finally learned to install adequately sized cats as to not hinder performance. Lastly I will agree that pollution is real. We should ban China immediately as they are dumping more pollution every day than our entire country does in a year. Regardless of how many of us delete our cats.
Definitely agree with what you said and you really seem to know what your talking about so I have a question? I just bought a 2011 audi a6 with the 3.0 supercharged v6 pushing 300hp but the cats are smelling burnt. Should I just delete them???

Quick Reply: Cat Delete?