A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Exhaust flex pipe replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tester123
I got an appointment with a midas shop tomorrow that also does custom exhaust work and will see what they say.

When you cut them and had them weld, how were you able to make sure that curve of the pipe was accurate? Or it doesn't matter?

I marked them with long, straight lines (in 3 dimension) before I cut off the badly rusted flex joints (or whatever was left). It can be a little bit off, with the flex joint the main cats have a little room to move around but the overall length of the downpipes can't be too short or too long in order to connect back to the cat-back system.

I decided to have them welded off-the-car instead of going to the exhaust shop (they do it in-car here). The reason was: I wanted to remove the pre-cats to make piggie pipes. While I had the catalytic converter separated I also attempted to "re-activate" the catalyst with Oxalic and Citric Acid. I'm not sure how successful it was but a lot of dirty stuff came out. See attached PDF if you're interested to read on. Good luck!
Attached Files
Old 04-21-2015, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Metronet
I marked them with long, straight lines (in 3 dimension) before I cut off the badly rusted flex joints (or whatever was left). It can be a little bit off, with the flex joint the main cats have a little room to move around but the overall length of the downpipes can't be too short or too long in order to connect back to the cat-back system.

I decided to have them welded off-the-car instead of going to the exhaust shop (they do it in-car here). The reason was: I wanted to remove the pre-cats to make piggie pipes. While I had the catalytic converter separated I also attempted to "re-activate" the catalyst with Oxalic and Citric Acid. I'm not sure how successful it was but a lot of dirty stuff came out. See attached PDF if you're interested to read on. Good luck!
That makes sense. What was your total cost? Although I could do this, I don't have access to lift so, I checked out another exhaust specific shop and he quoted $165 per side including the flex pipe (which is not the main cost anyway). I am thinking if $300 for both sides, it might be worth it...?
Old 04-21-2015, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default $300 both sides is pretty good.

Originally Posted by tester123
That makes sense. What was your total cost? Although I could do this, I don't have access to lift so, I checked out another exhaust specific shop and he quoted $165 per side including the flex pipe (which is not the main cost anyway). I am thinking if $300 for both sides, it might be worth it...?
The flex pipes went on my 02S6 and Audi just replaced the entire cat pipe. One was under the 10/100 warranty (went at around 90K miles, inside 10 years), the other one I just replaced the entire cat pipe to keep the thing OEM.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The total cost for me was around $300 (Canadian) also. And for $165 per side I think it's reasonable. If they do it on car it's easier to guarantee the fitments.

I'm not sure about the 4.2 C5s but for the 2.7T you just need fronts to be on ramps, no need to remove the cat-backs. You slide off the sleeves and the Cats section will drop off.

If I had an S6 I would definitely go with the OEM route or Megnaflow direct replacements. Working on the exhaust is just too much work for me!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took mine to a local muffler shop. They cut them out and replaced them for 200.00 I thought that was a deal.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 16vcabman
took mine to a local muffler shop. They cut them out and replaced them for 200.00 I thought that was a deal.
$200 for both, that's one heck of a deal.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea the guy is in Clarkston Michigan. When I brought it in he said 300 then I told him guy in Pontiac quoted 200. He said he would do it for 200. Said he just had finished one the week before so I knew he knew what he was in for!
Old 05-14-2015, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 16vcabman
Yea the guy is in Clarkston Michigan. When I brought it in he said 300 then I told him guy in Pontiac quoted 200. He said he would do it for 200. Said he just had finished one the week before so I knew he knew what he was in for!
Any chance the guy is Mike Hunter from Clarkston? Old times and old friend from my Michigan days before the current Ohio venture.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

UPDATE:

Finally, decided that this is something I do not want to handle (mainly due to lack of a lift and welding tools), I got it done at a local shop and they set me back $325. Got both replaced to avoid further visits.

Perhaps a bit more than I was hoping for but it is done and the car doesn't sound like a expensive lawn mower.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Any chance the guy is Mike Hunter from Clarkston? Old times and old friend from my Michigan days before the current Ohio venture.
Not Sure, I did notice the place is closed again!

Quick Reply: Exhaust flex pipe replacement?