A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Front Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Fenders

Anyone have any first hand experience pulling the front fenders?
I want to make sure I know where all the screws are before I start so I don't end up bending anything because I forgot a screw.

Anyone have a body repair manual they want to part with? (Or maybe scan a few pages from?)
Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bump??
Old 04-26-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Removing Outer Rocker Panels???

Bump 2!!!!!!!!!!

Looked for an information, and coming up dry in the A6.
I found A4 and Jetta instructions and videos, and it all looks easy, but looking at the A6 it seems that at least one bolt is under the rocker panel, and the Bentley manual does not mention how they are removed and it does not seem obvious.

Anyone????
Old 04-26-2015, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of hidden screws. At some point besides the top screws in the engine bay, most of the hidden screws are around the front door. To get to those you will have to remove the side skirts(torx screws same size as the wheel liner which I think needs to go) then also remove the threshold plastic cover(snaps up) that has the silver audi logo on. Then front door needs to be opened to access some kind of plastic holder.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FrontFenderOverview.pdf (222.2 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by indoor; 04-26-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK, so unlike an A4 or Jetta, the lower back bolt is under the side skirt.
Good to confirm.

Guess I am dropping the side skirts. From what I can tell it is just screws on the bottom and door sill plates are pop-off.

Sorry for asking such simple questions, but when I get the tow cars together and start swapping parts, I have limited time and really don't want to break anything.

I assume the side-skirt screws go into the little plastic pieces just like the wheel well liners? If so, I would assume they are just as likely to break and I should have a handful ready to replace?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

When working with plastic fasteners, having some spares is never a bad thing - wether the "old ones" are brand new or decades old.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep, bought a bag of the ones for the fender liners, but hey are a bit different than original. They are square instead of round at the head.
They fit the same size square home and seem to work well enough.
I ordered some more but go the round head type this time. (in care there is a difference in how well they hold.
So here is to hoping they are the same basic size as the fender liners so I don't have to buy yet another bag.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rockers are half off.
I did not pull the door sills yet, but that should be no problem. (Or not much of one, I might have to move some stuff to get the doors open far enough in the garage).
I was thinking there was one sill plat per door, but on the C5, the sill plate runs the length of the two doors. (Why is EVERYTHING just a little different on these cars?)
Back to the screws, the bottom screws (5 per side) are the same bit size (T-25) and the same thread size (4.8x16) as the fender liner screws but different length and different shaped head.
The screws in the rear wheel arch (2 per side) are the same bit and thread, have a head like the fender liner, but are longer.
The screws in the front wheel arch (2 per side) were missing, so I have to see what they are. (Guessing the same as rear, but it is an Audi, so who knows.)

All the scews came out easily. Not bad for a 13 year old Chicago car.

Guess I was worrying for nothing. (till the sill plate cracks as it comes off)
Old 05-03-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK, NOW!!!!!!!!!! I get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't remove the sill plates, (Duh!)
You pop up the small edge that hangs down over the top of the side skirt.
It clips into a channel on the side skirt, and if you get a grip at one edge, you can pop it up a little as a time.
Once you do that you will find yet more screws. (T-25 head)
Then just when you "think" you have them all, you find 2 more.
One is inside the front door frame at the bottom facing forward (T-25 head),
and the other is at the back edge of the back door frame facing back, (Philips head) (hmmm, must have been an afterthought?)

Wooo Hooo Side skirts are off with only a little damage to the sill plate on one side at the rear where I tried popping it completely off before I realized the secret flap hiding the screw heads. (It is on the parts car, so no real loss)
Old 05-04-2015, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by indoor
A lot of hidden screws. At some point besides the top screws in the engine bay, most of the hidden screws are around the front door. To get to those you will have to remove the side skirts(torx screws same size as the wheel liner which I think needs to go) then also remove the threshold plastic cover(snaps up) that has the silver audi logo on. Then front door needs to be opened to access some kind of plastic holder.
Where did you get that manual ? What is the name on it ?

Quick Reply: Front Fenders