Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 274523

Default fuel filter and trans fluid?

Just replaced my fuel filter and it seems to have made my car touchy on the pedal is this normal?

And I started shifting hard when going frompark to reverse. I'm thinking I need to flush the AT fluid. So do I need to get an AT filter? And why the hell are the fill and drain under the car.... What's the easiest way to change this fluid since I can't flip the car over.
pyrobionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 267912

Awesome. These are the questions we all have secretly asked ourselves, but there is logic to the madness brother. There is a few DIY threads on here that go through servicing and it's particular specific criteria that must be met when doing this task. So do a bit of searching.

Oh, and for god sake, don't "flush" the transmission. Hydraulic oil acts like a detergent and if you have totally new fluid put in, it almost attacks the old, dirty residue and particulates that remain. This will only lead to more problems and any transmission guy with a soul wouldn't let you do this to that car. Just drain, drop pan, change filter, meticulously clean area for gasket, and re-install. But don't forget the particular things, like being perfectly level on hack stands, the correct temp, which i don't recall (90? oil?). So like i said, read about the diy, as my statements are a rambling mess from a weary traveler right now… Sorry.
Nialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 170662

I'm really curious what the dealer would charge for changing the transmission oil but honestly for an oil change it sounds like a pain (four jack stands, perfect level, drain, clean, fill, get up to temp, fill again, etc) and probably is worth just paying the dealer to do it. Don't flush anything, just follow the Bentley instructions or let the dealer do it correctly.
acarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
I'm really curious what the dealer would charge for changing the transmission oil but honestly for an oil change it sounds like a pain (four jack stands, perfect level, drain, clean, fill, get up to temp, fill again, etc) and probably is worth just paying the dealer to do it. Don't flush anything, just follow the Bentley instructions or let the dealer do it correctly.
Yeah I think that's what Im going to do is tak it to the dealer or a shop. It's just looking like it was specifically engi needed to be a royal pain I'm the ***.. I really do not want to bother. Books and DIY all just more work probably $30 for fluid and an hour's labor at Big O.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 AM   #5
Tech Guru
Account #: 43812

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
let the dealer do it correctly.
Assuming the dealer does do it correctly.

I trust no one for this service. Too many times have I seen cars come back with the fluid level wrong and shifting issues.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

2005 A6 Sedan Q 3.2 (wife's whip)
2000 A4 Avant Q 2.8 (daily driver)
1980 VW Scirocco (mid-life crisis car)
1983 Mazda RX-7 (revolutionary sports car)
2003 Mini Cooper S (just because)
1995 Mazda Miata, Superdupercharged(anti-Audi)
1999 Mazda Miata SSB (track beotch, no plate)
2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL (the anti-earth)
2004 Dodge Dakota (hey, at least it's stick and 4x4)
4Driver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 245565

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Driver4 View Post
Assuming the dealer does do it correctly.

I trust no one for this service. Too many times have I seen cars come back with the fluid level wrong and shifting issues.
How much fluid is lost when having the TC done? I had mine changed at my indy and they did a good job, so I was thinking about having them change my fluid and filter sometime soon.
thall6594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 52472

Dealer quoted me $600.

My indie tranny shop charges $200

I will ack i don't follow all the ??? in the OP

Grant
Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member

Big o down the street quoted my $150 lol and if they **** up the have to fix it for free and replace broken parts.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 127679

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrobionic View Post
Big o down the street quoted my $150 lol and if they **** up the have to fix it for free and replace broken parts.
you are going to trust a tranny oil change to Big O??? REALLY?

you can do better than that...go to an Audi/German specific indy. At least they'll know that they need to get the tranny to the right temp and refill, etc...and have a VCDS.

Plus you are correct that they may cover the cost of issues. But the issue(s) with your tranny won't arise right away...they may take months, if not years...and there's no way Big O will be held liable, since there is no way for you to irrefutably prove that it was their servicing that caused the issue specifically.
raj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Tech Guru
Account #: 43812

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrobionic View Post
Big o down the street quoted my $150
You'll hate yourself in the morning.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

2005 A6 Sedan Q 3.2 (wife's whip)
2000 A4 Avant Q 2.8 (daily driver)
1980 VW Scirocco (mid-life crisis car)
1983 Mazda RX-7 (revolutionary sports car)
2003 Mini Cooper S (just because)
1995 Mazda Miata, Superdupercharged(anti-Audi)
1999 Mazda Miata SSB (track beotch, no plate)
2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL (the anti-earth)
2004 Dodge Dakota (hey, at least it's stick and 4x4)
4Driver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement