A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help a newbie figure out my leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
You can try to replace the torque converter seal, but what I find is the front pump on the transmissioin fails and then it leaks fluid from the bellhousing like that. Unfortunately, you probably need a transmission.
Thanks, I am learning the details of an automatic tranny. What I thought was a rear main seal leak is probably actually the torque converter seal leak. Apparently the rear main seal is attached to the engine and would leak oil, not ATF fluid.

The ATF fluid would be coming out from the TC seal and like you said Prospeeder, it might be a faulty front pump.

I watched this youtube video on a guy removing the front pump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdRE...ature=youtu.be and also from learning details off of a BMW forum, DIY- How to replace reverse drum, ZF5HP19 - E46Fanatics , the attachments show detailed Tranny parts. Seems very logical to put together and is starting to make sense now.

Just putting this out for others who might be in my same shoes with their cars. Might just need a front pump bearing!......or not. But honestly now kinda excited to tear this 'effer apart!

Last edited by elpanson; 08-10-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take pictures if you do. I personally have never done this and would like to see it! I have to repair cars in the most reliable way possible, and usually just putting another good used unit in seems to be the safest and cheapest bet. Our transmissions, have the front differential is built into it. This video of the BMW transmission, even though an 5HP19 is very different in many ways.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 08-10-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Take pictures if you do. I personally have never done this and would like to see it! I have to repair cars in the most reliable way possible, and usually just putting another good used unit in seems to be the safest and cheapest bet. Our transmissions, have the front differential is built into it. This video of the BMW transmission, even though an 5HP19 is very different in many ways.
Your response led me to dig further and now I am more confused but learning more, I got this off of the repair info:

ATF Leak between Engine and Transmission

Possible damage:

The Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) pump corroded resulting in increased wear and chafing on the torque converter hub, heavy ATF leakage.

Required actions:

Make sure that no ATF escapes at oil leak inspection opening -arrow- after removing transmission. In this case, the final drive/transmission housing double shaft seal would be faulty.

– Replace final drive/transmission housing double shaft seal if necessary. Refer to → Chapter „Shaft Seal in Front Final Drive Intermediate Flange“.

Coincidentally before my tranny fluid was leaking I ordered a new passenger side cv drive shaft because the old one was grinding on turns and going to crap.

Is this where my ATF is leaking from? Honestly didnt even know ATF fluid was in there!