A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HELP Smoke from Tail pipes (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

STOP what you are doing and get a Auto Maintenance for Dummies book.
Auto Repair For Dummies: Deanna Sclar: 9780764599026: Amazon.com: Books Auto Repair For Dummies: Deanna Sclar: 9780764599026: Amazon.com: Books
Old 05-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmarsh39
Yikes... Get it towed to your nearest Indy shop ASAP! I agree it's a turbo... Or both...
My only thing with the shops are I've had alot of bad experiences with them so Im afraid if I take it they'll take advantage of my lack of knowledge in this field as they've done many times before. So this time I will fix this problem myself no matter what it takes
Old 05-12-2016, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
STOP what you are doing and get a Auto Maintenance for Dummies book.
Auto Repair For Dummies: Deanna Sclar: 9780764599026: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks ordering now!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

These are not forgiving cars for learning on.

1) The diagnosis is difficult,
2) the parts are expensive,
3) and the systems are delicate.

The triangle of one little problem turns into an irreparable mess while expending huge amount of money.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like a nightmare... Lets see where this journey takes us...
Old 05-12-2016, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

How long have you had the car? Did it drive and operate properly and then this just started happening, meaning the smoke? You shut it off one day and it was running fine, then the next day it started doing the smoke the minute it started?

You said there was a low oil pressure warning and you added oil? How much did you add? What kind of oil? How/where did you add the oil. Did this issue begin the first time you started the car after adding oil?

You are draining the oil and there is more than you expected. Can you estimate the amount of oil that you drained? Maybe a photo of the container you drained the oil into.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clancy
How long have you had the car? Did it drive and operate properly and then this just started happening, meaning the smoke? You shut it off one day and it was running fine, then the next day it started doing the smoke the minute it started?

You said there was a low oil pressure warning and you added oil? How much did you add? What kind of oil? How/where did you add the oil. Did this issue begin the first time you started the car after adding oil?

You are draining the oil and there is more than you expected. Can you estimate the amount of oil that you drained? Maybe a photo of the container you drained the oil into.
Hello,
about 3 months
Operated perfect but there was a little smoke coming from the passenger side of engine.
There was a leak so we changed the valve cover gasket.
When we did that the mechanic told me I need more oil and buy the cheapest kind so I bought 4 quarts of no name oil, not Synthetic either. We put that in THEN he said you lost oil again because he took the valve cover of to check his work. so I put 5 more quarts in. afterwards I said let me check the stick. I check the stick and its a good 3 maybe 4 inches past the full mark. He said that doesn't matter so I left it alone. Anyway stated the car after valve gasket was fixed and let it run for about 10mins he said its perfect and that was that. The next day I got to start the car and my whole back yard filled with white smoke.
  • Oil Pressure light cam on before we added oil
  • Went off after
  • oil was regular 10w40
  • I would assume about 9 bottles worth of oil drained
I think I answered everything If I missed something forgive me, im running back and forth from my backyard to the computer. I Appreciate all the help from you guys!!!!!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

FIRE your mechanic!

It he is a friend, treat him nicely but NEVER listen to him about cars again.

The oil MUST be between the marks, never above and never below.

Cheap oil is OK till you get leaks fixed, but then get it changed to the proper type.

Last edited by N_Jay; 05-12-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

incase you have no video here's

a photo
Old 05-12-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Get the oil level right. Let it sit and recheck.

Start it up and see if you have any error lights.

If none, drive it gently and see if the smoke clears. (Could take a while but should get better.

Then start reading EVERYTHING in the C5 threads and learn what you need to do to maintain the car.

Quick Reply: HELP Smoke from Tail pipes (Video)