A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HID Fog light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Fog light Problem

2001 a6 2.8
I'm having problems installing hid I'm able to connect everything except red and black wires and i can find detailed instructions for my am i not connection something right or do i need to connect straight to the ballast
Old 08-22-2015, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Hard to tell from your post.

Originally Posted by CobraJones
2001 a6 2.8
I'm having problems installing hid I'm able to connect everything except red and black wires and i can find detailed instructions for my am i not connection something right or do i need to connect straight to the ballast
Normally the ballast is connected to your (switched) power source, red being negative and black being positive/ground.

The actual HID bulb/socket is connected to the ballast, usually by a big fat two-conductor wire/cable.

Sometimes google is your friend..you should be able to google the manufacturer and part number or model number of your HID foglight kit.

I dunno why people bother with HID fog lights…they're down in the mud and blood and beer, they're too bright to be effective at anything other than ego-tripping, they're expensive, and essentially the same effect can be procured with a halogen high temp bulb. I have HID on my M3 and used some off-the-shelf halogen bulbs with a color temp that essentially matches the headlights.

If manufacturers really wanted effective fog lights for the North American market, they would set them up so they could be independently lit of the main service lights and they would be yellow. Ah, naah,
Old 08-23-2015, 01:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Normally the ballast is connected to your (switched) power source, red being negative and black being positive/ground.

The actual HID bulb/socket is connected to the ballast, usually by a big fat two-conductor wire/cable.

Sometimes google is your friend..you should be able to google the manufacturer and part number or model number of your HID foglight kit.

I dunno why people bother with HID fog lights…they're down in the mud and blood and beer, they're too bright to be effective at anything other than ego-tripping, they're expensive, and essentially the same effect can be procured with a halogen high temp bulb. I have HID on my M3 and used some off-the-shelf halogen bulbs with a color temp that essentially matches the headlights.

If manufacturers really wanted effective fog lights for the North American market, they would set them up so they could be independently lit of the main service lights and they would be yellow. Ah, naah,
When I look the black and red wire for hid only the black wire can be plugged in but the red can't :/ so I have no clue where to plug it in
Old 08-24-2015, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Without knowing what kit etc. I don't think we can help. Post some pictures and we will try and help.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
Without knowing what kit etc. I don't think we can help. Post some pictures and we will try and help.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

is it possible to make shift the ballast go to straight power?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default It's possible but then your ballast is live all the time.

Originally Posted by CobraJones
is it possible to make shift the ballast go to straight power?
Just use the black and red wires from your existing kit and wire them to the black and red wires on your ballast. You might have to install some female terminals on the wires on your existing kit.

When you turn on the lights those wires will energize the ballast and your HID lights should go on.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Just use the black and red wires from your existing kit and wire them to the black and red wires on your ballast. You might have to install some female terminals on the wires on your existing kit.

When you turn on the lights those wires will energize the ballast and your HID lights should go on.
So my red wire i should cut and get a female teminal and that should work. Hopefully that should work!
Old 08-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What should i look search for that piece also?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I hate to be a jerk but this is simple. If you don't understand what to do in this situation you should probably pay someone to do it. Again sorry for the harsh words.

Quick Reply: HID Fog light Problem