A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How to recharge 02 A6 AC

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to recharge 02 A6 AC

how can i recharge my 02 A6 AC. Do i have to go through the dealership or one of recharging place or can I do it myself by buying one of those can from the auto store and where is the fill port? is the one next to the Battery, if so which one next to the battery cuz there are two...

Thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

System needs to be evacuated and charged with a measured amount of freon. Unless you can do that, bring it to someone who can. I do almost everything myself. Charging air is one of two things I sub out.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Depends. If you're losing lots of R134A or the system has been opened, you're going to have to have the system repaired before sucking and recharging.

OTOH, if you're just low on R134A it is possible to drop 16oz in the system and go on with life...if it lasts for a year or cooling season you're ahead of the game. Repair and suck and charge can easily cost $500-1200.

I spent several years trying that with our 2K4.2A6...seems the dang thing would run out of freon every Spring and wifey would go nuts and sweaty. So the third year I decided to punt and just try filling it with Arctic Freeze or something like it:

http://www.amazon.com/ARTIC-FREEZE-R.../dp/B001810SHA

It worked well that summer of 2008? and I did it again in 2009 (finally bought a refrigerant manifold with the right quick-disconnects...the cheap Chinese #$%^ one broke) and wala, I haven't had to do it this summer 2011 and we've had 100+F in DC/VA/MD in the US this year. You might want to try the ones with leak detector/sealer.

The trick is to add enough refrigerant to get it cooling again and then a little more and watch your low and high pressure gauges...you'll get to correct pressures (function of ambient temp and humidity) before you get to the exactly right refrigerant charge which is probably a good thing.

If you can't get the system to cool with this stuff you'll have to have some repair work done. It's not uncommon to have a stone cause a leak in the condenser.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Guys,But I guess what I really wanted to know how to refill the free on cuz i had to get my alternator replaced to, so the guy let all the freeon out by hooking up the hose to a nozzle next to the battery and now when i try to refill it at the same nozzle with a r134a can from autozone it, it wont refill.

So I guess what I am asking is, am I doing that right or would i be better off going to a ac refill place and have them do it?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Jitesh Chawla
Thanks Guys,But I guess what I really wanted to know how to refill the free on cuz i had to get my alternator replaced to, so the guy let all the freeon out by hooking up the hose to a nozzle next to the battery and now when i try to refill it at the same nozzle with a r134a can from autozone it, it wont refill.

So I guess what I am asking is, am I doing that right or would i be better off going to a ac refill place and have them do it?
Bring it somewhere before you get hurt. Seriously.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Get the guy who did your alternator replacement and who incorrectly let all the freon out to refill your ac system...I see no reason to have let the freon out!!

OTOH, ARCTIC Freeze kit should be enough to charge an operational ac system....the quick disconnects are different SIZES for high and low side...the kit only works on the low pressure side. You hook up the low pressure side and charge it until the compressor comes on, assuming the compressor isn't coming on because of low pressure. If the compressor is running, run the engine to 2000 rpm (use a stick or something between the gas pedal and the front seat, power seat adjusts speed...) and discharge the arctic freeze into the system...you should get at least 30-35 psi on the low side with the compressor running...if it hits 50-60 something is wrong, stop. It should go down to 30-35 or below...if it goes below, keep adding freon.

Check for cooling and if it's cooling to 45-50F on a 85-90F day you're good enough.

It might help to explain to the BB what exactly you mean by it won't refill...can't you hook up hte can or don't you know how to pierce the can to get it started, or what?

If you cannot explain, 4D4 is likely right...you're too inexperienced to mess around with AC.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice.

Now which one is the Low side port. I saw these two ports but they don't say if its the low or High.
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Geez...did you READ the instructions?

Unscrew the caps and see which one fits your kit. The port is a quick disconnect and WILL NOT fit a schrader-valve connection. You MUST get the R134A kit that fits the quick disconnect. The quick disconnect is generally operated by lifting up on the collar toward the høse, pressing the device onto the port and releasing the collar. Removal is by lifting up the collar and the quick disconnect pops off.

It's the smaller diameter of the two ports...safety measure so you CANNOT put the quick disconnect øn the high side.

Due to the high resolution of your picture, I would guess, without taking the cap off, that the rightmost one is the low pressure side...it also is a larger-diameter and insulated(?) line, probably cold when operating correctly, indicative of the low pressure side.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey 4D4...I gotta bad feeling about this one....
Old 08-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Hey 4D4...I gotta bad feeling about this one....
Boom.

$20 says he's not wearing safety glasses either.

Quick Reply: How to recharge 02 A6 AC