Key Fob Battery Change for Newbies
Since I finally learned to do this "all by myself," I thought that I would share.
There is a Tech Section listing dated January, 2002 in which Bill Bradstreet described the basics (but without testing them himself). Here is my revised version of his instructions:
1) Unlock all doors
2) Insert a spare key in the ignition and turn to the "accessory" position
3) Roll down driver's window
4) While standing outside, and with all doors closed, insert main fob (with new batteries) in door then twist to lock and release, making sure to leave fob in door
5) Reach inside and hold interior "unlock" button down for 10 seconds (this is why you keep the window open!)
6) Press the fob's "unlock" button once - the parking lights should flash once
7) Remove the fob and the spare key and you are done
If you wish to program more fobs, Bill says to:
"8) Repeat #5 & #6 (don't change the remote in the door)
9) Press unlock button twice for remote 2
10) Repeat again for remote 3 if you have one"
My switchblade fob ('98 A6 sedan) requires TWO (2) "CR1620" batteries, which run about $3 each at Radio Shack.
To access the batteries, use a screwdriver to gently twist, not pry, the fob into two pieces. Use your fingers to pull apart the small, inner cover.
Be prepared when the keyring falls out; it is held by this inner cover. The rest will be obvious. Reverse to reassemble. And always dispose of old batteries properly!
2008 A8 L - Phantom Black/Amaretto
Sport, Premium, Bang & Olufsen, Vent/Massage, Leather Package 1
Goodyear EagleŽ F1 Asymmetric All-Season 275/35-R20
1999 Audi A6 Avant
1998 Audi A6 Sedan
1991 VW Passat Carat
1985 VW GTi
1980 VW Vanagon
1969 VW Beetle