A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need to Change Valve Cover Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to Change Valve Cover Gasket

While removing the Ignition Coils yesterday, I discovered oil not only in the wells, but also on the coils as well; I'm still in the midst of removing the spark plugs, my suspicion is that the plugs are coated in oil as well. My understanding is that the valve cover gasket needs to be replaced. This Audi has been driven over 140,000 miles. A faulty PCV valve may also indicate the reasons why the oil found its way into the wells; I have a new PCV valve on standby. Since, I have the Airbox, Accordion Hose, and Coolant Expansion Tank away from the engine bay, I believe this may be a wise time to replace the Valve Cover Gasket on both sides as well.

Would you all agree? Or am I jumping to conclusion too soon?

I found plenty of DIY Guides, however, would like some advice in what I should be on the look out for.

Also, is this a good replacement cover?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...-v6-06c103483j

Who's the Original Equipment Supplier?

Thank you.

Here is the current snapshot; please note I cleaned majority of the outer cover yesterday while removing the Coils,

Cylinder 1
Name:  Cylinder%201.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  184.6 KB

Cylinder 2
Name:  Cylinder%202.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  171.6 KB

Cyinder 3
Name:  Cylinder%203.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  170.2 KB

Cylinder 4
Name:  Cylinder%204.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  164.9 KB

Cylinder 5
Name:  Cylinder%205.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  211.4 KB

Cylinder 6
Name:  Cylinder%206.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  144.1 KB

Oil on Ignition Coils
Name:  Oil%20on%20Ignition%20Coils.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  262.1 KB

Driver Side Overview
Name:  Driver%20Side.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  184.6 KB

Passenger Side Overview
Name:  Passenger%20Side.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  696.5 KB

Front Overview
Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  270.7 KB

Last edited by arjun90; 04-25-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

You have negligible oil in there. I would simply clean the wells out and replace the plugs and coils.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, what about the oil present on the ignition coils and pool of oil around the spark plugs inside the well. Wouldn't this be an appropriate time to replace at least the Valve Cover Gasket as a preventative measure? Or would this make it more likely for a leak to develop elsewhere? I'm confident the cam gasket and half moon seals are fine.

I greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
You have negligible oil in there. I would simply clean the wells out and replace the plugs and coils.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Should I be replacing the cam seals as well? Though, I don't have any visible leaks in the area. I recently came to know that there are no tensioner and half-moon seals on the 3.0L.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check your vacuum "jet pump". On the V6 its located under the component bracket on top, center rear of the engine. They tend to clog and/or break, and once they do - pressure builds up under the valve covers and eventually blows the valve cover gasket(s). Often the cam end seals goes with it. If the jet pump has been clogged/broken for a while, the spider hose (the plastic ventilation hose set on top (and a short piece on the back) can clog up pretty well, too. Also - check if your oil cap is the newer type with a built-in pressure release valve (holes on the underside, not just flat).

If you change out the valve cover gasket sets, clean up old gasket material properly, so surfaces are properly clean. Clean out the valve cover breather connection on top. If you're going to do cam seals, this is the time. Be generous but not messy, with RTV gasket/sealant on all surfaces for the new valve cover gaskets (including plug-port sections).

If you quickly, temporarly pull the hose from the side-split pipe on the jet pump, put your finger over the hole. Take away finger. There should be vacuum, thus both a vacuum pull and a *pop* when you pull your finger away.

All these are things to check/inspect - give it a good clean first, will be easier to spot leak sources. No point in throwing parts at it before checking condition first.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, I plan on doing the cam seals at a later date in the near future. Would you happen to have the new Oil Cap Part #? Thanks

Originally Posted by pr0xZen
Check your vacuum "jet pump". On the V6 its located under the component bracket on top, center rear of the engine. They tend to clog and/or break, and once they do - pressure builds up under the valve covers and eventually blows the valve cover gasket(s). Often the cam end seals goes with it. If the jet pump has been clogged/broken for a while, the spider hose (the plastic ventilation hose set on top (and a short piece on the back) can clog up pretty well, too. Also - check if your oil cap is the newer type with a built-in pressure release valve (holes on the underside, not just flat).

If you change out the valve cover gasket sets, clean up old gasket material properly, so surfaces are properly clean. Clean out the valve cover breather connection on top. If you're going to do cam seals, this is the time. Be generous but not messy, with RTV gasket/sealant on all surfaces for the new valve cover gaskets (including plug-port sections).

If you quickly, temporarly pull the hose from the side-split pipe on the jet pump, put your finger over the hole. Take away finger. There should be vacuum, thus both a vacuum pull and a *pop* when you pull your finger away.

All these are things to check/inspect - give it a good clean first, will be easier to spot leak sources. No point in throwing parts at it before checking condition first.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't know if these are the same for all V6's.

Audi Teile Katalog (Pats Catalog)

You'll probably be wanting to look under Engine, and Cylinder Head Cover.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, those diagrams are extremely helpful, I checked under the engine a few weeks back, no signs of any oil leaking. Never encountered any overheating problems in spite of the passenger fan which needs to be replaced soon.

Originally Posted by pr0xZen
Don't know if these are the same for all V6's.

Audi Teile Katalog (Pats Catalog)

You'll probably be wanting to look under Engine, and Cylinder Head Cover.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default from your pics you don't have a problem. I didn't see a pool of oil.

Originally Posted by arjun90
Thanks, what about the oil present on the ignition coils and pool of oil around the spark plugs inside the well. Wouldn't this be an appropriate time to replace at least the Valve Cover Gasket as a preventative measure? Or would this make it more likely for a leak to develop elsewhere? I'm confident the cam gasket and half moon seals are fine.

I greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks again.
At least from what I could see.
I would put the new plugs in and see how long, if ever, it takes to get enough oil in there for a misfire(s) before I went to all the hassle of replacing valve cover seals.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

If its not leaking, there is unlikely to be a real issue. Probably someone changed the valve cover gasket at some point, but forgot to put RTV sealant (or didn't uses enough) on the surfaces - causing slight seepage. Clean up plugs, holes and wires - see when/if it returns and take it from there.

Keep it clean, that way you'll see any leaks and their origin rather easy. Save your money for future repairs.

Quick Reply: Need to Change Valve Cover Gasket