A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need torque specs on trans pan bolts 2000 A6 4.2L AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need torque specs on trans pan bolts 2000 A6 4.2L AWD

Sorry in advance, I tend to ramble...

Just bought the other day my first Audi. It's got some issues, but the price was right so I brought it home.

A service manual is going to be a major first priority but in the meantime I wanted to service the transmission with a filter and fluid change. Thankfully I did find this other post that gave helpful insight in where to find a tutorial on servicing the Audi A8 ATF audipages A8 Automatic Transmission Servicing
After reading that article, I put together my shopping list and headed to the store. Hardly any of the local parts stock our parts, I asked several places about the $20 a bottle synthetic ATF that I needed, and they all scratched their heads, even the trans filter and gasket kit had to be ordered... But I found one place that had pretty much all that I needed locally, O'Reilly Auto Parts! They stocked the WIX filter kit w/the rubber pan gasket, and the Pentosin brand ATF L1 fluid... But back on the A8 tutorial article, with some of the tools listed. One, being the modified torx T27... Turns out (on my car at least, see pix below) the transmission pan doesn't have the exhaust interference they mentioned, and too the pan bolts on my car is T25 size. They did mention for the T27 bolts to torque at 7-9 ft. lbs. I don't know, I guess if I don't get confirmation on here today I may go ahead and use those specs. My questions was with the difference in the torx screw sizes, maybe it would be a diffrence, idk...

So yeah, really what I need here is the trans pan bolt tightening torque specs. Last night I had pulled the drain plug and let it drain out overnight like the article specified. I only got maybe about a total of 4 quarts, not the 6 to 7 like they mentioned... But Boy, look at the pix below and see how black the fluid is,It's like used motor oil! Today Im dropping the pan and installing the new gasket and finger tightening the pan bolts. Having a service manual would come in handy, If someone here ca6n look up the torque specks I'd really appreciate it. But too, I did a quick search online, Is there a pdf download of the A6 C5 1997 to 2004 service manual? I did see a link to the online service manual, boy what a joke that is... On that Audi A8 article he was using some computer data base like manual. Anyone recognize it, and where can I find it?

2000 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2L Transmission Code: ECF
Thanks a million in advance!!!
-Doug
I'll pretty much be in the garage all day with the car. Feel free to text so I dont have to come in and keep checking the computer.
(407)7105766

Old 05-23-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

According to the manual I have, the torque for the pan bolts is 11Nm / about 8 ft lbs. Don't overtighten or you might strip the threads.

As for obtaining a copy of the service manual you need, search ebay for "audi elsawin."

Last edited by georgeb944; 05-23-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
According to the manual I have, the torque for the pan bolts is 11Nm / about 8 ft lbs. Don't overtighten or you might strip the threads.

As for obtaining a copy of the service manual you need, search ebay for "audi elsawin."

Perfect! Exactly what I needed =D Ive purchased the manual off eBay and hope to get it soon.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry in advance, I tend to ramble...

Just bought the other day my first Audi. It's got some issues, but the price was right so I brought it home.

A service manual is going to be a major first priority but in the meantime I wanted to service the transmission with a filter and fluid change. Thankfully I did find this other post that gave helpful insight in where to find a tutorial on servicing the Audi A8 ATF audipages A8 Automatic Transmission Servicing
After reading that article, I put together my shopping list and headed to the store. Hardly any of the local parts stock our parts, I asked several places about the $20 a bottle synthetic ATF that I needed, and they all scratched their heads, even the trans filter and gasket kit had to be ordered... But I found one place that had pretty much all that I needed locally, O'Reilly Auto Parts! They stocked the WIX filter kit w/the rubber pan gasket, and the Pentosin brand ATF L1 fluid... But back on the A8 tutorial article, with some of the tools listed. One, being the modified torx T27... Turns out (on my car at least, see pix below) the transmission pan doesn't have the exhaust interference they mentioned, and too the pan bolts on my car is T25 size. They did mention for the T27 bolts to torque at 7-9 ft. lbs. I don't know, I guess if I don't get confirmation on here today I may go ahead and use those specs. My questions was with the difference in the torx screw sizes, maybe it would be a diffrence, idk...

So yeah, really what I need here is the trans pan bolt tightening torque specs. Last night I had pulled the drain plug and let it drain out overnight like the article specified. I only got maybe about a total of 4 quarts, not the 6 to 7 like they mentioned... But Boy, look at the pix below and see how black the fluid is,It's like used motor oil! Today Im dropping the pan and installing the new gasket and finger tightening the pan bolts. Having a service manual would come in handy, If someone here ca6n look up the torque specks I'd really appreciate it. But too, I did a quick search online, Is there a pdf download of the A6 C5 1997 to 2004 service manual? I did see a link to the online service manual, boy what a joke that is... On that Audi A8 article he was using some computer data base like manual. Anyone recognize it, and where can I find it?

2000 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2L Transmission Code: ECF
Thanks a million in advance!!!
-Doug
I'll pretty much be in the garage all day with the car. Feel free to text so I dont have to come in and keep checking the computer.
(407)7105766

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-23-2015, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There is a specific torque sequence. Essentially like a headgasket.

Nearly all 6x1 bolts are 10NM/89 in/lbs torque on this car, and most cars in general.

The paper trans pan gasket is prone to fail and leak. I use a high grade sealant in addition to the gasket.

Fluid that color in a trans needs a FULL flush. Disconnect the oil cooler lines that return to the trans. Fill the pan and run the engine until the fluid cavitates (20-30 secs). Rinse and Repeat as they say. Pro fluid flusher all the better. Will need 14+ qts. I typically use 16-20qts on the 5H24 in the RS6 and other V8's

OE fluid can be replaced with Amsoil ATF which is far better. And cheaper. (see my sig).

Fairly certain bolts are a T27 or T30.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to see another one working a 4.2 motor!

If it reaches you in time...

Tighten the ATF oil pan bolts in sequence -1 through 26- in several steps and finally tighten to 10 Nm.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2015, 03:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is great,Thanks tester123!!! And it's come at a good time. I expect to do the transmission work today. I've made two trips to O'Reileys, each time with the wrong transmission filter kit :-/ I did order the elsawin manual off eBay and expecting it soon. This car has other issues and looking forward to sharing my journey. I had two B5 Passats (1999 & a 2000) in the past, so I knew what I was getting into when I purchased this car. But the A6 is probably almost twice the car the Passat is so it's a little intimidating. I just bough this car a few days ago. I plan on doing a more formal intradouctiin to the group later with pictures of the car. I went around the car with the camera and took some pic's of mechanical issues that I need to address, I may post those too just as a general inspection I did in the car when I bought it.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Something I forgot! Filter screw torque?

The filter screws are a bit smaller. What is the torque on the two screws holding the filter in place?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Quattro2000
The filter screws are a bit smaller. What is the torque on the two screws holding the filter in place?
Awesome! The filter bolts torque: 6Nm.

Just to share my experience, I've used the Blauparts transmission kit. It came with filter+Oil and a pump. Quite easy with right tools. Make sure to follow the procedure and correct temp for final fill level. Search and you can find some guides on this forums.

I am not affiliated with Blauparts in any way but, have to say that I am quite happy with their TB and Trans kits. Over 11k miles and no issues whatsoever! Of course, take your time, be thorough and clean everything properly.

let us know how it goes.

Last edited by tester123; 05-24-2015 at 08:38 AM.