A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New to me 2000 Audi A6 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

i would say start simple and stick with your OBD tool . Ross Tech is the way to go but is expensive and is a significant investment. usualy reserved for those who do there own work.

the water pump and t stat gets done with the belt. There is lots of stories going around about interval, its a toughie.

the ATF fluid from the stealer is uber expenive but can be bought with Kits aftermarket that incude the filter also.

Last edited by Airbag; 06-09-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall, you must request permission to edit/delete posts. Just go to the feedback forum and request access.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by N_Jay
What is the recommended schedule for the belt?
I have been told 75K, 90K, 100K???

Anything else unusual?
ATF recommendations?
Brake fluid recommendations?
Power steering fluid recommendations?
T-State and/or water pump? (Usually I figure are done with Timing belt to be safe)
Particular electrical bit and pieces?

I have an indy shop I used for my Range Rover years ago, and also have a recommendation for one nearby.

I do simple stuff myself.
Timing belt: IIRC, the factory service interval says 105k for the timing belt, but few wait that long. I think anything around 75k to 85k is reasonable. As others have said, water pump and thermostat are standard to change while in there, as the belt has to come off to repalce those items. Just saves labor later.

Transmission Fluid: You won't find anything from the factory on how often to change transmission fluid...they claim it is "lifetime." I don't agree, nothing is lifetime. But if you do this, change the fluid, do NOT flush.

Electrical: Does anything need to be fixed? If not, leave it alone. I'd say if the car is on it's original HID bulbs (if so equipped), go to eBay, and find Philips D2S bulbs, which should be about $85 pair shipped vs. over $200 at the dealer each. Not too hard to replace them, but it is tight and better if you have small hands. Certainly less room to work under there than the Honda Pilot
Old 06-09-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston Driver
Timing belt: IIRC, the factory service interval says 105k for the timing belt, but few wait that long. I think anything around 75k to 85k is reasonable. As others have said, water pump and thermostat are standard to change while in there, as the belt has to come off to repalce those items. Just saves labor later.

Transmission Fluid: You won't find anything from the factory on how often to change transmission fluid...they claim it is "lifetime." I don't agree, nothing is lifetime. But if you do this, change the fluid, do NOT flush.

Electrical: Does anything need to be fixed? If not, leave it alone. I'd say if the car is on it's original HID bulbs (if so equipped), go to eBay, and find Philips D2S bulbs, which should be about $85 pair shipped vs. over $200 at the dealer each. Not too hard to replace them, but it is tight and better if you have small hands. Certainly less room to work under there than the Honda Pilot
I usually stick with factory recommendations on timing belts unless the car has a know problem eating them.
If they recommended 105, I an guessing (hoping) it was done. (and done right with pump and all)

Seems a few German cars tried calling the ATF "lifetime", most in the MB world seems to like a 40K to 50K change cycle.
I will have to see if I can find out what was done.

I am guessing it does not have HID lights, as my dad ordered it with exactly the options he wanted and HIDs would be something he would not know to ask for.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by N_Jay
I usually stick with factory recommendations on timing belts unless the car has a know problem eating them.
If they recommended 105, I an guessing (hoping) it was done. (and done right with pump and all)

Seems a few German cars tried calling the ATF "lifetime", most in the MB world seems to like a 40K to 50K change cycle.
I will have to see if I can find out what was done.

I am guessing it does not have HID lights, as my dad ordered it with exactly the options he wanted and HIDs would be something he would not know to ask for.
I think HID are standard on that car. Audi DOES have an issue with timing belts. Although they never officially changed the interval many stories of them snapping s dont risk it . Could even be the water pump failing that causes it . if your T belt lasts 100K but your water pump seizes at 70 .. the result is the same..
Old 06-09-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Will keep the 70K interval in mind.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Agree. My car (albeit the V8 variant) had a thermostat go at about 70k, replaced under extended warranty (along with the rest of the timing belt stuff including the water pump, tensioner, etc.). Then again at about 130k when the indy was in there for the oil cooler line, this time under my own dime but the tensioner had failed, which the mechanic noticed when in there doing the other work.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wooo Hooo!
Talked to my dad. HE read me the last service it has in February.
Timing Belt,
Tensioner,
Water Pump,
Thermostat,
Serpentine Belt,
Valve Cover Gaskets,
Spark Plug seals, (?)
Cam Plugs?
And a bunch of other stuff.
Seems he just got $1700 worth of maintenance done.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Awesome news! Sounds like the big stuff is out of the way for now!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Boston Driver
Awesome news! Sounds like the big stuff is out of the way for now!
For sure .. But do yourself a favour and keep a reserve of some cash .. you will be needing it for something soon with these beasts

Quick Reply: New to me 2000 Audi A6 Quattro