A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

oil leak, back of engine , 2003 A6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old96A4
I have a oil leak in teh back of the engine and I can;r see where it's coming from. I replaced the valve cover gaskets about a year ago,
not sure if those are leaking again or not. what typically leaks , what gaskets in the 3.0 engine?? are there cam gaskets or is that just in the 2.7 engine?
maybe I got cheap gaskets last time and they need replacing again.. I can't see anything to put my finger on it. just oil all over on the drivers side toward the back.
getting messy..
Have you fixed this yet? I had this exact problem and went thru the same motions as you. The problem turn out to be the Crankcase Ventilation Valve. The aftermarket one that I bought was crap. I was researching how to change out varies seals when I saw some dude on a YouTube video saying not to buy the aftermaket valve because odds are high that you'll get screwed. So I went to the dealer paid something like 150 for the new valve and the problem is gone.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No I haven't tried fixing the oil leak problem yet , I have a MG I drive in the summer so it hasn't been a problem, but I need to get back to it . Is there any pictures of the Ventilation valve? I'd like to try that since I know it hasn't been replaced yet. only the PCV has been replaced. also some pictures of the seals mentioned above would be nice, is there a part number for the venttilation valve ???
Old 08-13-2015, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

wait a minute isn't the PCV the same thing as the crank case ventilation valve ?? or an I an idiot???
Old 08-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

wait a minute isn't the PCV the same thing as the crank case ventilation valve ?? or an I an idiot???
I believe it is the same thing. Here's a vid of it being switched out.
I couldn't hear the vacuum leak they spoke of on the video. But I did dissect mine after I got the new part and the diaphragm was torn.

The part number is 06C-103-245 Internet price of $145.83 with tax. I saved on the shipping by picking it up at the dealer. I got it from parts.audiofalexandria.com but you can have my slightly used valve for half that price, shipped! My Audi died on me, a small screw came loose on the back side of an intake camshaft pulley. It took out my timing belt, which took out my engine by bending the valves. It sucked.

Stan
Old 09-15-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Started back looking at the oil leak in my 3.0 2003 A6, so I want to check the whole system to see if everything is clear and nothing is plugged, is there a diagram some place of what I have to look for ?? Ok the PCV valve I can check , I did replace it already but with a cheap one. what else do I need to look for ?? I can see the oil on the back and bottom of the engine but can;t see up there to see where it's coming from .. any pictures would help, I even bought a camera to see if that would help , everything is to close together back there.. do I just take off the hoses on the back of the valve covers and check them?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think I figured out the breather system is plugged going back to the oil pan. I'm getting moisture in the system and it doesn't have any place to go. So it look like have to remove the Manifold to clean out the system. Is there a write up on how to take the fuel injector apart , fuel rails etc. do I need any special tools? you can;t get your hand back there to do anything to clean it. I need to replace my coolant temp sensor anyway. I'll kill to birds. Is there a write up on how to take it off, it doesn't look like a big deal if you can get the bolts out. It's just the fuel rails I have to take off, I have no experience with those.. any help would be appreciated. I can spray cleaner in there and in a little while I see it on the ground. So something is happening. Never heard of this one but I know the breather system is important to the 3.0 engine..
Old 10-26-2015, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Buy the bentley manual or search on youtube.

I think I figured out the breather system is plugged going back to the oil pan. I'm getting moisture in the system and it doesn't have any place to go. So it look like have to remove the Manifold to clean out the system. Is there a write up on how to take the fuel injector apart , fuel rails etc. do I need any special tools? you can;t get your hand back there to do anything to clean it. I need to replace my coolant temp sensor anyway. I'll kill to birds. Is there a write up on how to take it off, it doesn't look like a big deal if you can get the bolts out. It's just the fuel rails I have to take off, I have no experience with those.. any help would be appreciated. I can spray cleaner in there and in a little while I see it on the ground. So something is happening. Never heard of this one but I know the breather system is important to the 3.0 engine..
I also bought the Bentley eBahn disc and now have access to their beta test online system. You might try to get access to that from bentleypublishers.com
Old 10-26-2015, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did search you tube, found one video of some one taking the manifold off to replace the plastic water hoses underneath the manifold, Hope that doesn't happen to me. Most items were for the 2.8L engine. I hate spending $130 for something I use once. the car is getting old and I want one more winter out of it and it's down the road.. usually there is a write up some place I can use. these car are great to drive but have usual things go wrong with them. I hope it's not just the junkie PCV that was mentioned above in the thread..
Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

sounds like the 2.7t engine you have a seal that leaks at the end of the intake and exhaust cam on drivers side 1 under the hal sensor and a rubber cap on intake lower cam they leak after awhile and thats what i think your leaking from if i could see a pic i could tell you for sure.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by needs2 know
sounds like the 2.7t engine you have a seal that leaks at the end of the intake and exhaust cam on drivers side 1 under the hal sensor and a rubber cap on intake lower cam they leak after awhile and thats what i think your leaking from if i could see a pic i could tell you for sure.
Here we go again:
The 3.0 is nowhere the same to the 2.8, 2.7t or 4.2 regarding cam timing, adjusting/sensing or seals and gaskets.

Quick Reply: oil leak, back of engine , 2003 A6 3.0