A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rear pax side axle/cv

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring break break - old axle out, but new axle doesn't fit?

I've been away a few days. My wife reminded me it was Spring break and that we should get out and do something fun with the kids. I made some progress today but have a new problem.

The old axle is out. I made the mistake of not following directions. First, Bentley doesn't say which end of the axle/cv combo to move first, inner or outer. I forgot what I learned researching this project and was trying to get the outer end free first. Doesn't work. When I figured this out, it was fairly easy to remove.

Bentley says to lower the exhaust system to make room to remove the axle. I had to unbolt (2 each side) both exhaust pipes under the rear bumper to make room for the axle to slide out. To loosen the inner CV, I had to use a rubber mallet to tap a large screw driver resting against part of the inner CV. After that, it was fairly easy to maneuver the axle out of the car. If you don't want to get lube on the ground/floor, I recommend something underneath the car to catch the mess.

SloopJohn, Bentley doesn't include loosening any suspension parts, only the exhaust. However, I may have to follow your recommendations anyway.

I can't get the new axle all the way in. It was easy to get the outer CV in place, but the inner CV won't slide up into position. It seems to be too long. I pushed the outer CV in as far as I could get it. Still not enough room - part of the inner CV (perhaps the axle sticking through?) is hitting the bottom of the transaxle - about 5mm too long. Then I used the axle bolt to pull the axle/outer CV all the way into position. Still can't get the inner end up into place - too long. I tried tilting the CV. Any thoughts? I'm asking Raxle the same question - how do I get this axle/CV in place to bolt on?

I hope I don't have to disconnect any of the suspension. I don't shock/strut compressor tools, for example.

Thoughts/ideas?
Old 04-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Maybe nudge the transaxle to the left?

I tried again on Saturday to get the axle in. I have the outer axle in and axle nut snugged up to pull the axle all the way into the hub. On the inner axle/cv end, I can tilt the cv and compress it onto the axle getting the cv past the edge of the transaxle. But the axle poking through the middle won't compress and is too long, hitting the edge of the transaxle. I can't get the inner end into position.

I have an idea: find a way to wedge the transaxle slightly to the left - making a little more room axle to slide up into position. Does anyone know if the transaxle has some "wiggle room" left and right? It makes sense that there would be some to account for suspension travel.

I should have time Tuesday to try it.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Done

Finally finished yesterday. The transaxle can't move (I hoped I could nudge it 3mm to get the axle in place) because of the way its mounted under the car. Surprised no one pointed this out - I guess this newbie thread is getting old/boring or too humorous to interrupt.

I jacked under the lower control arm - that gave me room to get the axle in place. Bentley directs supporting the lower control arm before removing the old axle. I didn't do this, and didn't need to in order to get the old axle/cv out.

Bentley manual isn't quite right, though. Simply supporting the lower control arm after jacking up the car wouldn't help. I had to jack under the control arm to make the room to get the new axle into place.

After I got the axle in place, I reattached the exhaust system to create more room under the car to work. I found it fastest to slide under the car to put the 6 bolts (inner cv) on hand tight.

Test drove today - no issues.