A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Red Oil Warning Pressure MFI symbol but oil level full

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i know this post is old as ****, and im sorry to bring it back. But the light he is talking is for the oil LEVEL, not pressure, right? im having the same light pop up, and when i hit the left button on my gauge cluster, it says shut off engine and check oil level. i just want to make sure im looking in the right direction to fix my problem. the red oil can dripping oil is an oil level issue and not a pressure issue. can somebody confirm this
Old 03-26-2015, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Best check your owner's manual.

Originally Posted by allroad'n
ok i know this post is old as ****, and im sorry to bring it back. But the light he is talking is for the oil LEVEL, not pressure, right? im having the same light pop up, and when i hit the left button on my gauge cluster, it says shut off engine and check oil level. i just want to make sure im looking in the right direction to fix my problem. the red oil can dripping oil is an oil level issue and not a pressure issue. can somebody confirm this
Old 03-26-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

believe it or not i didn't even consider checking my owners manual, although i did look through my bently and didn't see a single mentioning of warning lights.. ill have to check that out when i get home. thanks
Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

wow, i stand corrected. apparently it is pressure. damn.it.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

shouldn't be running with more than max amt of oil
Old 03-29-2015, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Don't get excited…check the oil pressure with a real gauge.

Originally Posted by allroad'n
wow, i stand corrected. apparently it is pressure. damn.it.
It may be just an oil pressure sender fail.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You're not mentioning it, but do you experience this red-light problem intermittently?

If you do, you may well find that subsequently your revcounter will stop working at the same time, ABS warning lights may shine etc. I had this problem with my 2.8 A4 and the problem came from the ABS-processor; yes, you read correctly! It is amazing just how the computer systems are interlinked.....

I fortunately have a wizard in our area, that could repair the processor for me, instead of the spending MUCH money for new parts
Old 05-21-2015, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ynot5105
You're not mentioning it, but do you experience this red-light problem intermittently?

If you do, you may well find that subsequently your revcounter will stop working at the same time, ABS warning lights may shine etc. I had this problem with my 2.8 A4 and the problem came from the ABS-processor; yes, you read correctly! It is amazing just how the computer systems are interlinked.....

I fortunately have a wizard in our area, that could repair the processor for me, instead of the spending MUCH money for new parts
Interesting, at times with a bad ABS module its necessary to unplug the connector so vagcom can read any module "this I know".
The big question is how did you know the ABS unit was goofing with the cluster module? That answer would be more informative and conclusive.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default ABS unit goofing with cluster

Originally Posted by jcman
Interesting, at times with a bad ABS module its necessary to unplug the connector so vagcom can read any module "this I know".
The big question is how did you know the ABS unit was goofing with the cluster module? That answer would be more informative and conclusive.
Unfortunately I cannot answer that one jcman, as that knowledge came from the wizard, who repaired it for me. The ABS & traction control lights were on all the time, but the red warning light came on intermittently and together with that, the rev counter would stop indicating.

Apparently the condition worsens and I can support that, as it even started affecting my tiptronic box, which was taking longer to change up. The latter was a "seat of the pants" feeling though, as I couldn't prove it, with a non-functional rev counter. The Electronics Engineer (wizard) mentioned this to me afterwards, when we took my car for a test drive after repairs.

There are a series of very thin copper wires in the processor, which "fractures" one-by-one, hence the progressive list of faults. The wizard could repair my car's processor, but he reckons that it could get to a stage where the processor can only be replaced.....

Hope that helps a bit!

(All this happened a few years ago, so I really have to jog my mind!! I recall now that I followed up with a mechanic, who referred me to the wizard. He said that if my car's rev counter wasn't acting stupid as well, the cause of the problem was the instrument cluster and not the ABS processor! Strange that the ABS-system can become dysfunctional due to an instrument cluster problem hey, but I suppose that is what we have to live with, driving cars that cannot be mended with "steel wire and a pair of pliers"!)

Last edited by ynot5105; 05-25-2015 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ynot5105
Unfortunately I cannot answer that one jcman, as that knowledge came from the wizard, who repaired it for me. The ABS & traction control lights were on all the time, but the red warning light came on intermittently and together with that, the rev counter would stop indicating.

Apparently the condition worsens and I can support that, as it even started affecting my tiptronic box, which was taking longer to change up. The latter was a "seat of the pants" feeling though, as I couldn't prove it, with a non-functional rev counter. The Electronics Engineer (wizard) mentioned this to me afterwards, when we took my car for a test drive after repairs.

There are a series of very thin copper wires in the processor, which "fractures" one-by-one, hence the progressive list of faults. The wizard could repair my car's processor, but he reckons that it could get to a stage where the processor can only be replaced.....

Hope that helps a bit!

(All this happened a few years ago, so I really have to jog my mind!! I recall now that I followed up with a mechanic, who referred me to the wizard. He said that if my car's rev counter wasn't acting stupid as well, the cause of the problem was the instrument cluster and not the ABS processor! Strange that the ABS-system can become dysfunctional due to an instrument cluster problem hey, but I suppose that is what we have to live with, driving cars that cannot be mended with "steel wire and a pair of pliers"!)

Guys (and girls!),

Please accept my sincere apologies, as I might 've been leading you on a wild goose chase......

The red light on my car indicated faulty brake system, NOT oil pressure! I remember that the red light triggered me into thinking that it was faulty oil pressure and I only realised much later (to my embarrassment), that it indicated faulty brakes.

So sorry to have repeated that mistake!