A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Revving Engine to 3,000RPM, Brief Sound of Sharpening Knives,

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your rotors (brake discs) and/or pads are worn out, its time to replace them - wether they be an issue or not. That is not "preventive measures", its just maintenance. A word of caution; Do proper diagnosis when fixing an issue with these cars. Just "throwing parts" at it, will get stupid expensive very quickly.

Your initial post say you rev while in parking position (I assume the car is standing still). This means whatever you're hearing is not coming from any part in or directly connected to the drivetrain - as those parts are not moving when the wheels aren't turning.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

The sound of sharpening knives was present around the wheel when I checked again last night. The sound doesn't always appear. For now, a good thing to do is replace the spark plugs / coils which were throwing misfires on two of the six cylinders. Also, Air Box and, possibly the PCV Valve needs to be changed, the engine sometimes sounds sluggish on the road.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

As expected, it's another noise and not your rotors, as they don't spin when in park. None of the other mentioned issues are related to your knife sharpening noise. Any engine rotational noise creators have nothing to do with any of the other issues that you bring up. If real, the noise you describe could be related to rubbing covers over the timing belt, idler, tensioner, or alignment or pulley issues with the accessory/fan belt, etc.

Since you keep addressing things not related to the initially reported noise, this could still be the knudden valve or maybe the muffler bearing, or maybe the new rotors were bad. We are trying to help, so I hope this is not BS.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you Johnkk, I tried to reproduce the sound again today, but couldn't hear it this time around; might had to do with prolonged idling.

How can I remove the cover over the timing belt to make sure there is nothing apart from the norm?

Originally Posted by johnkk
As expected, it's another noise and not your rotors, as they don't spin when in park. None of the other mentioned issues are related to your knife sharpening noise. Any engine rotational noise creators have nothing to do with any of the other issues that you bring up. If real, the noise you describe could be related to rubbing covers over the timing belt, idler, tensioner, or alignment or pulley issues with the accessory/fan belt, etc.

Since you keep addressing things not related to the initially reported noise, this could still be the knudden valve or maybe the muffler bearing, or maybe the new rotors were bad. We are trying to help, so I hope this is not BS.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

arjun..arjun...arjun, The thread started with a potential brake issue based on a noise while parked, a noise from brakes happen 99% of the time when moving NOT BEING PARKED......PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS!

If you checked the thickness of the rotor with a micrometer and they are at the WEAR LIMMIT change them along with the pads.

If your PARKED and the engine is making noise @3K RPM this has nothing and I MEAN NOTHING to do with brakes......PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, The other 1% of brake noise would be a clicking sound when not moving by a snagged caliper pin, not EDWARD SCISSORHANDS!
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lol,

How do I remove the timing belt cover; this would be a good place to start to look for anything unusual.

Originally Posted by jcman
BTW, The other 1% of brake noise would be a clicking sound when not moving by a snagged caliper pin, not EDWARD SCISSORHANDS!
Old 04-21-2015, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Start with the accessible rotational parts driven by the serpentine(fan belt) and not the timing belt. Squirt some wd 40 on pulley shafts one at a time and if the noise disappears, you've found the squeaker. A stethoscope or long screwdriver against the ear touched to shafts or bolts that hold various pulleys and tensioners will pick up pulley bearing issues, but can be dangerous if you get caught in moving parts.

Depending on your engine, you might be able to unsnap some timing belt covers with out moving front assembly to the service position, but the water pump and tensioner evaluation would require service position. Learn how to "assume the position" before you dig in. STFA.