A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Right Front Brake Noise Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Front Brake Noise Question?

Today's problem:

As I pulled out of the driveway heading to church everything was normal until I pressed on the gas peddle. That's when I heard a noise that at first made me think I was dragging something down the road with me!

I pulled over and checked under the car revealing nothing. I decided to play it safe and return home for my son's car. When I turned around and again no noise until I accelerated, then I heard the dragging or grinding noise. I did a quick tap on the brakes and the car pulled to the right.

I have 237,000+ miles on my 1999 A6 quattro. I am ordering rear calipers so my mechanic can change the brake fluid.

What are your thoughts on what's going on with my front brakes & what do I need to fix it?

Thanks as always AudiWorld! 😇
Old 11-28-2016, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like you need a thorough inspection by someone familiar with Audi. Could be sticky caliper in front as well, or a bad CV joint or rock stuck in the caliper, or a wheel bearing, or ???
Old 11-28-2016, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Or loose lug bolts.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Amen. Asking around on a forum about brakes not good.

Originally Posted by clancy
Sounds like you need a thorough inspection by someone familiar with Audi. Could be sticky caliper in front as well, or a bad CV joint or rock stuck in the caliper, or a wheel bearing, or ???
There simply aren't any unique issues with audi brakes; you get the same problems on all cars with disc brakes.

If you're not competent to diagnose brake issues (and apparently replace rear brake calipers yourself) you'll need tø get it to a shop.

One thing you can look/sense quickly, however, is a visual inspection of the brake disk(s). If one of them, in this case the RF or RR, is blue from overheated rotor, then you have a pretty good diagnosis of a sticking caliper. The rear calipers on C5 audis are screw-adjusted and have to be screwed in when putting new pads in: If the screw or the adjusting shaft gets corroded and won't (screw) or the caliper guide pins are so corroded or the slave cylinder piston is so corroded it won't release or even pads and rotor so worn that the piston ***** and won't retract you'll get a hot dragging pad.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Source of my grinding noise

Here's the source of my Right front wheel noise. Front rear control arm. I think I had this one put on in 2007, maybe 150,000 miles ago.

Should I buy Meyle HD to replace or something else?
Old 12-03-2016, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Consider rebuilding your entire front end.

Originally Posted by rxpclb
Here's the source of my Right front wheel noise. Front rear control arm. I think I had this one put on in 2007, maybe 150,000 miles ago.

Get a kit. Replace your shocks as well. Bad or worn shocks will tear up suspension.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Replacing control arms is fairly simple and easy. Uppers are piece of cake. They do not affect alignment. Also very inexpensive compared to having a shop do it. You can buy all four upper arms for less than the labor cost at a shop. If you have moderate skill level you can do the uppers in about 2.5 hours. Lowers will affect alignment so if you do them yourself plan on getting a full four wheel alignment.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Meyle HD makes a World of Difference

Originally Posted by rxpclb

I Invested $408 in a complete set of Meyle HD & my A6 is driving better than any time I've had the car (2005 & 47,000 miles).