A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rotor/brake/ locked wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor/brake/ locked wheel question

Hi guys,

I bought my 1999 Audi A6 Quattro used a few years back. I need to replace the front brakes but I need some help.

1) I have these wheels but they have locking lug nuts, and I was never given a key...Does anyone know anything know how i can get one or find out what type of nuts they are? The lug nuts are deep in the hole with very little room to stick anything in there. From what I can tell tell, they look splined?

2) Do I need to get different sized rotors or brake pads (I need both) because of these aftermarket wheels? From what I measured, they seem to be 17x7.5

Thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markattack
Hi guys,

I bought my 1999 Audi A6 Quattro used a few years back. I need to replace the front brakes but I need some help.

1) I have these wheels but they have locking lug nuts, and I was never given a key...Does anyone know anything know how i can get one or find out what type of nuts they are? The lug nuts are deep in the hole with very little room to stick anything in there. From what I can tell tell, they look splined?

2) Do I need to get different sized rotors or brake pads (I need both) because of these aftermarket wheels? From what I measured, they seem to be 17x7.5

Thanks
A lot of tire shops have sets of locking lug sets that they can use to get the bolt off for you, just make sure you have replacements that you can drop in with you.

As far as what you need for rotor and pads, you need to look at the rotor and see. Audi is very good at throwing various sizes of rotors on their cars, even in the same year and model they can have different size rotor, typically they will be marked in close to the hub. I would bet pads will be the same size
Old 10-05-2015, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless someone changed the brakes for some reason (unusual), a change of wheels does not NEED a brake change.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bilbo6209
A lot of tire shops have sets of locking lug sets that they can use to get the bolt off for you, just make sure you have replacements that you can drop in with you.

As far as what you need for rotor and pads, you need to look at the rotor and see. Audi is very good at throwing various sizes of rotors on their cars, even in the same year and model they can have different size rotor, typically they will be marked in close to the hub. I would bet pads will be the same size
Thanks, I wanted to buy all the parts before taking it into the shop, but I'll just have the mechanic take take care of everything now

Thanks again
Old 10-05-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Wow..just wow. You've had the car for a few years and never removed the wheels?

Hi guys,

Thanks
Not a good start for an audi owner.
Good luck on getting the splined locking lug bolts out…find a good wheel shop first.
You could also go online and get a lug bolt removal kit. Google is your friend.

Brandsport Keys Master Wheel Lock / Lug Nut Keys w/Free Case
Old 10-06-2015, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

The key for those wheels should always be in the car. Maybe he forgot to mention it. Check the tool box(jack box, spare tire area). Otherwise when you get a flat you're screwed to begin with...

Jut to make sure, you're not talking about plastic caps that some C5's have over the log bolts for protection against rust?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default You could also just drive on a 12point undersized socket

Thanks, I wanted to buy all the parts before taking it into the shop, but I'll just have the mechanic take take care of everything now

Thanks again
onto the nut or lug bolt and then unscrew the bolt/nut. Generally the lug bolt isn't on more than 90-100ft-lbs unless it's corroded badly.

This often ruins the 12pt socket, BTW.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would think that if your wheel locked up the issue would be in the caliper, pads, or the condition of either. It takes a lot of force to lock up a wheel at driving speeds, so I would look to the caliper first. A failed brakepad, shifting around, could also be the culprit.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the locks have been lost since you bought the car a few years back, I am betting the brakes are shot and the tires need rotation.