A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Solid to flip key

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Ok, this may be completely out of left field, but on the Jaguar forum that I frequent (that's my baby, the wife drives the A6), there have been people who have cut a straight key open, retrieve the transponder, and transfer the cut key and transponder into a flip key unit and then program the transmitter portion (which is easy on the Jag). Would this be an option? It sounds like the transmitter portion requires more difficult programming than the Jag, so this might not even be worthwhile. Just curious.
I've relearned a new cut RFID only key to my Chevy cargo van, easy peasy
and possibly on most makes this would be the for the IMMO part only.

VAG cars have a factory code assigned to their RFID's that will either be in the original plain valet key or FOB, VCDS will not show the SKC four digit (hidden) code, however software aside from VCDS can retrieve it but then you must have VCDS to enter it.....OR......go to the dealership so they can hook up the car to retrieve the factory SKC code from AOA "Audi of America", I had this done when I bought mine out of a CPO with one key working so it was no charge at all for the other one and it took about an hour if I recall.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by seishuku
It can be done by an end user, but you'll need a licensed VCDS and your gauge cluster login code.
Only if you have the SKC four digit code, but even you mentioned the other software to retrieve it....I don't recall it's name, in fact you and I tried helping someone with this and it got scary stupid.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Refer to 4.15 from the holy grail of VCDS Ross-Tech: FAQ Page 4
Old 04-08-2015, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pr0xZen
By transponder I meant the small RFID chip that goes with the immobilizer. If that can be coded by "us", or is this a dealership / specialized locksmith job only? And would a new RFID chip have to be "programmed" with the IMMO, or is cloning an existing, working RFID tag sufficient..?
The last posts explain it, as least over here in North America.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
The last posts explain it, as least over here in North America.
I often travel "up north" to visit family, and its a good 600 miles away from "home". I've been considering getting a spare key to keep up there, but I only have 2 right now, and really need to keep a spare at home. I retrieved the 4-pin SKC with Vag Commander (Vag Tacho will also do this), did a cluster login with VCDS to confirm the SKC works.

So, if I get this right - once you have the SKC - coding/matching new immobilizer tags is a matter of resetting (adaptation) cluster channel 21 to zero, then inputting the total number of keys to be matched (including valet key if you have it) - and finally jogging the ignition with each one until the immo light goes out..?

(I just found some instructions here - not sure if they're correct, thats why I ask here).

By those instructions, and this - often you don't need a working FOB to match one or several new one(s), given that you can source a fob with the correct RF transmitter. If OPs A6 is a 98, I'd bet my left nut its a 4DO 837 231. Trailing letter and frequency, I cannot make any claims for, neither do I know if the "panic button" fobs are standard for the C5 in the US, or if the Sedan uses a 3-button fob. These things you guys should be able to chime in on, and when we have that down - you can match those criteria to the right part number on the top list -here- .

If I understood ELSA right - When matching Central locking FOB and adaptation channel 01 and/or 21 is not available (using VCDS) - you can get around the issue of not having an extra existing working FOB (to work the door lock) - by pulling the door card and triggering the lock/unlock signal by jumping the trigger wires for the door lock/unlock function (to ground?).

-

All this sums up - Yes, its doable. But its not a simple job. You'll need means of retrieving the SKC, and VCDS for coding immo chip (if your A6 has immobilizer) and matching fobs. I suggest ordering the FOB transmitter from a local/national dealer, as even if you match the correct setup of FOB configuration (buttons etc), knowing wether or not its 315 or 433 MHz is a hit or miss when you don't have one to inspect (unless you've got a friend at the dealership that could look it up by VIN for you). Which means its 50/50 if you have to exchange it or not.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok its a 98 guys, theres no immobilizer stop going on and on about it he doesnt need to worry about it. Theres no chip in the key. Just buy a remote and key blank off ebay, have a local place who has a laser key cutter make it for you, and it takes but a minute to program the remote, its the same as B5 A4's, you must put the key in the door turn it to lock hit lock button ect, i dont know it by heart just google it.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Ok its a 98 guys, theres no immobilizer stop going on and on about it he doesnt need to worry about it. Theres no chip in the key. Just buy a remote and key blank off ebay, have a local place who has a laser key cutter make it for you, and it takes but a minute to program the remote, its the same as B5 A4's, you must put the key in the door turn it to lock hit lock button ect, i dont know it by heart just google it.
This is true, but there are other folks who have asked questions about IMMO equipped cars.......just trying to spread the info brother.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Ok its a 98 guys, theres no immobilizer stop going on and on about it he doesn't need to worry about it.
Unless I missed something, this blindly assumes its a US A6. AFAIK, OP have not specified nationality. Most Euro A6's have immo on all 4B/C5's (from model launch), integrated into cluster.

The US Audi forums are probably the largest ones, thus there will be a lot of non-US users.

Last edited by pr0xZen; 04-09-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MrAvionics
Ok, so i cannot program it by myself by insert it into the ignition lock and do some special things ?

Its an 1998 model prodused late 1997
1.8T 150hp
In full circle this is not a North American car, never heard or know of a A6 with a 4 cylinder turbo so in this case as I suspected a IMMO exists.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
In full circle this is not a North American car, never heard or know of a A6 with a 4 cylinder turbo so in this case as I suspected a IMMO exists.
If the lightest NA engine "you" got was the 2.8 V6, I can kinda see that. Was not aware of that though. Here in Norway, the 1.8T is probably the overall most popular VAG (Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda) engine in the region from 95 to roughly 2008 - model independent. After that, the TDI engines really got going.

Quick Reply: Solid to flip key