A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Steering Rack: Servotronic or Not

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering Rack: Servotronic or Not

So I'm doing some preping before pulling engine & trans to change out syncros & 1-2 shift collar on our 01E 6 spd manual trans. Got the trans kit & video instructions from JHM. I'm OK for tackling this job.

Last time we pulled engine/trans for clutch, I recall seeing lots of oil residue on the steering rack. Could have been blowback from leaking VC, tensioners, & cam seals. No obvious PS drips at that time or even now. Not loosing any PS fluid either. But, I want to be sure I know what type of steering rack I have...w/ servotronic or not...jus it case I'm tempted to replace or rebuild it, since it will be easy to get to w/ engine/trans removed.

So is there an easy way to know if car has servotronic steering gear w/o getting underneath & comparing pictures to that in Bently?
Old 03-02-2015, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default bentley says behind the storage driver's side. Whatever that means!

Originally Posted by CRuby
So I'm doing some preping before pulling engine & trans to change out syncros & 1-2 shift collar on our 01E 6 spd manual trans. Got the trans kit & video instructions from JHM. I'm OK for tackling this job.

Last time we pulled engine/trans for clutch, I recall seeing lots of oil residue on the steering rack. Could have been blowback from leaking VC, tensioners, & cam seals. No obvious PS drips at that time or even now. Not loosing any PS fluid either. But, I want to be sure I know what type of steering rack I have...w/ servotronic or not...jus it case I'm tempted to replace or rebuild it, since it will be easy to get to w/ engine/trans removed.

So is there an easy way to know if car has servotronic steering gear w/o getting underneath & comparing pictures to that in Bently?
Google is your friend.
Try this:
Open the driver's door and locate the fuse panel on the left side of the dashboard.

Insert the flat screwdriver into the small slit on the fuse panel and pry it loose.

Look inside the fuse panel, behind the fuse box, for the Servotronic module. It will be marked with a "638" stamp or "Servotronic" marking. If the module is not there, then your Audi does not have Servotronic.

Read more : How to Tell If an Audi Has Servotronic | eHow

Maybe VCDS would tell you the power steering control module model, etc.?

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 03-02-2015 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Also I wonder if VCDS wouldn't tell you.