A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

tensioner chain....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tensioner chain....

I was just told that in order to replace the tensioner chain in my 2001 a6 it will cost me $4,200.00 and that doesn't include the timing chain. That is another $630.00 and i can expect to have added charges for parts that's were broken during the v replacement. This is outrageous am i correct?
Old 10-25-2014, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sooprfri
I was just told that in order to replace the tensioner chain in my 2001 a6 it will cost me $4,200.00 and that doesn't include the timing chain. That is another $630.00 and i can expect to have added charges for parts that's were broken during the v replacement. This is outrageous am i correct?
Yes you are correct. What engine?
Old 10-25-2014, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

If you have the V8 engine, that's in the ballpark.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Yes you are correct. What engine?
Its a 2.7t
What i find interesting is this is the 3rd shop. I have taken this to and the first because i am a girl didnt even look at the problem i took it in for(tensioners) second place after towing my car all the way there says i Wont even touch that motor.
And now this place....what the hell is up? I have never owned an Audi before and if this is the treatment i continue to get .i will sell it.
Pricing ob something like this should look like what? Can anyone tell me?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Its a 2.7t
What i find interesting is this is the 3rd shop. I have taken this to and the first because i am a girl didnt even look at the problem i took it in for(tensioners) second place after towing my car all the way there says i Wont even touch that motor.
And now this place....what the hell is up? I have never owned an Audi before and if this is the treatment i continue to get .i will sell it.
Pricing ob something like this should look like what? Can anyone tell me?
For half that price, I will pack my tools, fly/drive to wherever you are (in the 48 states), buy all the necessary parts, fix your car, and return home, and still have money left over to party with.

Fear not, you have just not found the right shop to do your work for you. Better yet, do some searches on audiworld and youtube, and get some knowledge and tools, and do the work yourself.

I have three Audi A6 2.7T cars, with 280K miles, 195K miles, and 140K miles, and I am not a professional mechanic. With a little bit of help, the service manual, VCDS and some common sense, I probably spend less than $500 per car each year on maintenance.

p.s. It's not just because you're a girl... A lot of shops treat guys just as badly.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

They just don't want to do it. One bank Bentley says the engine has to come out.
It doesn't.
Chains seldom have to be replaced...usually it's the tensioners or the plastic shoes therein. $22/bank. Gaskets are maybe $300. Time...10-15 hours your first time. Besides, a new chain is only about $100.

Find a different shop.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you say where you are some here might know a goo shop.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by N_Jay
If you say where you are some here might know a goo shop.
I live in Astoria Oregon
Old 10-28-2014, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bet you could do it for half the price at least,
I have considered attempting the project myself, I just dont have enough faith in myself,and i dont have a good service/repair manual. I havent had this car very long and am still trying to find a owners manual,
Old 10-28-2014, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I cant get this shop to send me a quote with the price of parts,labor etc,etc. they just give me the ball park number of $4,200.00 and tell me to expect additional charges because parts will break due to the fact the motor is a twin turbo so the heat from the motor and the fact its 13 years old.
I cant believe this place is charging people such prices.

Quick Reply: tensioner chain....