A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Timing Belt replacement, camshaft sprocket wings are off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt replacement, camshaft sprocket wings are off.

I can't find my answer anywhere, so I did try my best to look this up before posting.

I'm doing my timing belt, water pump, thermostat, etc, replacement, I have the car in TDC (Top Dead Center) and the right wing for the cam sprockets is perfectly horizontal, large hole facing inward. The left wing is off, about 1/16 of a rotation from being horizontal. I have rotated that Crankshaft 40-50 times, and it just wont line up.

Why is it doing this, and what do I do to fix this? I can't get the locking bar into place, should I just put in the Crankshaft locking pin and just mark the sprockets so that they are a touch off like that? The car ran fine before this, with a dyno it did say +11 on the timing, but the power was good and I got full HP/Torque. The dyno application most likely isn't perfect, but its not bad..

Thanks guys.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by KingHamer
I can't find my answer anywhere, so I did try my best to look this up before posting.

I'm doing my timing belt, water pump, thermostat, etc, replacement, I have the car in TDC (Top Dead Center) and the right wing for the cam sprockets is perfectly horizontal, large hole facing inward. The left wing is off, about 1/16 of a rotation from being horizontal. I have rotated that Crankshaft 40-50 times, and it just wont line up.

Why is it doing this, and what do I do to fix this? I can't get the locking bar into place, should I just put in the Crankshaft locking pin and just mark the sprockets so that they are a touch off like that? The car ran fine before this, with a dyno it did say +11 on the timing, but the power was good and I got full HP/Torque. The dyno application most likely isn't perfect, but its not bad..

Thanks guys.
The only sure way to time the engine is to pin it (the crank indicator may be off) and use a timing bar on the camshaft wings. You'll have to release the sprocket on one of the cams and use the timing bar to line up the misaligned cam…then install the timing bar, release the other sprocket, and readjust the tensioner.

Yes, I know dozens of people have used the crankshaft mark…but it looks like the last guy who did yours didn't...
Old 10-06-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
The only sure way to time the engine is to pin it (the crank indicator may be off) and use a timing bar on the camshaft wings. You'll have to release the sprocket on one of the cams and use the timing bar to line up the misaligned cam…then install the timing bar, release the other sprocket, and readjust the tensioner.

Yes, I know dozens of people have used the crankshaft mark…but it looks like the last guy who did yours didn't...
thats the right and only way to do this ..
Old 10-06-2014, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Okay cool, I should be able to do this. Thanks guys
Old 10-06-2014, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Okay cool, I should be able to do this. Thanks guys
Don't worry your be fine. Depending how it's off you may be able to just release the tension a little bit on the belt and then rotate the cam so.It locks in. If you " pop".the sprocket it might spin the cam on you because of the valve train. With the belt on you still have control.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea sure....Iv done many more than you, without the worthless crank lock, and they never are how he describes. Its never off if its tensioned right. If its not, like they didnt use the cam bar and break the pulleys free, as soon as they tension the belt it will make the cams off. Also dont forget, belts stretch over 100k mile interval, timing must change slightly by the end of the interval.

Just remove the belt, and then put the cams in a position to allow you to put the bar on. Done.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 10-09-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Prospeeder;24613527}

Just remove the belt, and then put the cams in a position to allow you to put the bar on. Done.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the process of doing it now, I do need to remove the sprocket to rotate it correct?

I was trying to get the timing belt on but the damn thing just wont slip on... I put it around the teeth on the crankshaft, then routed it correctly to the drivers side camshaft,then routed it over the passenger sprocket, and I'm just trying to roll it over the tensioner, but its just too tight. Ive pulled with all my might and can't seem to get it to pop on. I also rotated the crankshaft just a little to get it nice and snug and get a little extra room, no success. How do I get this damn thing on..? I didn't pull the pin on the grenade and the tensioner is all the way loose, I even have the allen wrench in to pull it down..
Old 10-11-2014, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Alright, got the belt on. I couldn't get the damned sprockets off so I have no way of lining them up... Ill just leave it like it was, maybe buy the puller and then try it again..

Next problem is this: With the belt on, when I rotate the crankshaft about a full rotation, it just locks up, doesn't allow me to rotate anymore. What does this mean?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in the process of doing it now, I do need to remove the sprocket to rotate it correct?

I was trying to get the timing belt on but the damn thing just wont slip on... I put it around the teeth on the crankshaft, then routed it correctly to the drivers side camshaft,then routed it over the passenger sprocket, and I'm just trying to roll it over the tensioner, but its just too tight. Ive pulled with all my might and can't seem to get it to pop on. I also rotated the crankshaft just a little to get it nice and snug and get a little extra room, no success. How do I get this damn thing on..? I didn't pull the pin on the grenade and the tensioner is all the way loose, I even have the allen wrench in to pull it down..
I had to fight my timing belt also. I just worked with it till it finally went on. Went around the tensioner last as well.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Alright, got the belt on. I couldn't get the damned sprockets off so I have no way of lining them up... Ill just leave it like it was, maybe buy the puller and then try it again..

Next problem is this: With the belt on, when I rotate the crankshaft about a full rotation, it just locks up, doesn't allow me to rotate anymore. What does this mean?

Thanks guys.
Generally, a locked up engine in those circumstances means that the pistons are hitting an obstruction, like a valve or 10.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt replacement, camshaft sprocket wings are off.