A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission Swap

How hard is it to swap out the transmission?
Anyone here do it themselves?
Do you need to pull the engine?
Is it something I can trust to a regular shop, or does it need to be an Audi shop?
If you did it, how long did it take?
If you had it done, how many hours did you pay for?
Old 03-07-2015, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Some answers...

Even w/ 4.2, done w/ motor staying in car. Way too much stuff to pull (and maybe break) if you don't have too, plus A/C lines, P/S, etc. Assuming AWD, have to drop prop shaft of course. Motor should be supported in place first too. If instead you pulled the motor for some definite reason, then it would often be the other way around where you pull the tranny with it because of the way fewer connections it has compared to the work of separating the two.

Tranny shop did mine. Yes, you can use a tranny type (or other) shop in lieu of a dealer. I would for obvious cost reasons on any older one. Tranny experience best, especially longitudinal layout Audis (not just tt's and A3's). In my case, it was a tranny shop experienced w/ ZF's. It was all part of an overall bill for a ZF rebuilt, but I would guess the R&R part was 8 to 10 hours. The units are big now, especially for the 4.2 if you happen to have that one, so you really need the lift, the supports, etc.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am looking at 2.8, not 4.2.

In looking for parts cars, I found one with a good trans and the body parts I need, as well as maybe a line on another that is in great shape with a bad trans.
So I figure I could end up doing OK, if I put all the body parts on my car, and then have the trans swapped to the other car to be sold, rather than just sending it to the junk yard with the scrap.

When I said an Audi shop, I did not mean a dealer, but rather an indy shop that specializes in Audi.
We have a few general mechanics that would be cheaper as long as it is not the kind of job that needs special tools and experience.
Local indy Audi shop wants about $1250 for the swap. (12 hours plus a trans service/fluid/filter)
Old 03-07-2015, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default 1250 for the swap including trans service/filter is good deal.

Originally Posted by N_Jay
I am looking at 2.8, not 4.2.

In looking for parts cars, I found one with a good trans and the body parts I need, as well as maybe a line on another that is in great shape with a bad trans.
So I figure I could end up doing OK, if I put all the body parts on my car, and then have the trans swapped to the other car to be sold, rather than just sending it to the junk yard with the scrap.

When I said an Audi shop, I did not mean a dealer, but rather an indy shop that specializes in Audi.
We have a few general mechanics that would be cheaper as long as it is not the kind of job that needs special tools and experience.
Local indy Audi shop wants about $1250 for the swap. (12 hours plus a trans service/fluid/filter)
Considering that's pulling both transmissions and replacing one (you're really doing good if that's swapping both trans!).
Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I figured I could probably pull it myself, and let him install.

AT that price though, there won't be any profit left in the car, so it might be a dead end.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default +1

I would call it a grand even some years ago, and then the fluid, filter and gasket are basically the rest (or more) for parts only, let alone the labor.

Back to earlier post, even if its a 2.8, that just means it goes from very heavy to only still quite heavy. Still pretty much needs a shop set up to do--having BTDT myself back on C1s in the late 70's when the trannies were way smaller and always FWD. If it happens to be a 2.8 FWD stripper, then pull is easier and maybe amount goes down a bit, since quattro rear driveline disconnect hassle goes away.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So, unless the extra car has well over $1500 in margin it is better to scrap.

Seems a shame. A lot of beautifully maintained cars are going to be scrapped.

In the end, might help me get the body parts I need to get mine back to near perfect.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Swap in an 01E. It will cost a couple of grand but 6 speed cars are more valuable.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
Swap in an 01E. It will cost a couple of grand but 6 speed cars are more valuable.
The chance of the parts car I find having a 6 speed is slim to none.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap

Originally Posted by N_Jay
The chance of the parts car I find having a 6 speed is slim to none.
There are a couple shops online that sell "kits" to do the swap. I did my S6 last year and it's not cheap, but there's not much that's fun that is.

Quick Reply: Transmission Swap