A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Weird coolant puke...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Weird coolant puke...

And I'll be darned if I can find where it came from!!!

2K4.2A6, no coolant leaks for two weeks, then alluvasudden it pukes coolant over the road, steam, etc. I had replaced a couple hoses/tubes and added coolant.

Wife calls AAA and they get it on the flatbed before I got a chance to look at it under the hood, take to dealer, dealer spends two days (filled expansion tank, pressure test, road test) and can't make it leak.

Good news is dealer waived the diagnostic fee and didn't even charge me for the coolant they topped up the tank with.

I drove the beast home 10 miles and no problems, coolant temp straight up, engine oil at 200F (two notches off 250).

At this point I'm thinking an air bubble let loose and scrammed the tank cap.

Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2014, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, you're probably right.

There's a vacuum extractor tool that's designed to prevent that situation. I bought one specifically for my 996, which is not the easiest to fill with coolant. I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on how well it works. It's a Coolant Evacuation Tool Kit, by Schwaben, available at ECS Tuning

Here's their spiel:
Insert the tool into the radiator service neck, attach the included Venturi adapter & allow the system to reach 25 psi, drawing out the vacuum. Use the same tool to fill your radiator, allowing the pressure to resume to 0 psi, completing the procedure.

I think it's going to be good.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BitBasher
Yeah, you're probably right.

There's a vacuum extractor tool that's designed to prevent that situation. I bought one specifically for my 996, which is not the easiest to fill with coolant. I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on how well it works. It's a Coolant Evacuation Tool Kit, by Schwaben, available at ECS Tuning

Here's their spiel:
Insert the tool into the radiator service neck, attach the included Venturi adapter & allow the system to reach 25 psi, drawing out the vacuum. Use the same tool to fill your radiator, allowing the pressure to resume to 0 psi, completing the procedure.

I think it's going to be good.
Thanks. I've never had trouble with either 4.2 before in 15 years…figures.
I might look into that kit. It's a bit less expensive at ECS! than other more plastiky kits on Amazon.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 11-15-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It could also be the coolant reservoir cap trying to take a crap. Mine went out in a similar fashion, didn't require a tow but I can see how it could freak somebody out. I got a new cap from the dealer for about 30 bucks.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by itsstan
It could also be the coolant reservoir cap trying to take a crap. Mine went out in a similar fashion, didn't require a tow but I can see how it could freak somebody out. I got a new cap from the dealer for about 30 bucks.
Yes, that's irritating. I'll have to test the cap and see.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Having a very similar problem on the same car.

Sorry to jump into this thread but I'm having the same kind of problem on the same car too. The car is not ready to drive on the yet because of a tranny problem but I start it up to keep the battery charged.
After letting it run and heat up a bit, the expansion tank just purges the coolant. I noticed that there is no coolant entering or exiting the expansion tank prior to the purge. I took a look under the hood and I am not seeing the hose where the expansion tank connects to the radiator.
Not sure where to start looking or what may be probable causes. Did a search on coolant purges and one owner replaced the radiator. Not sure if that is the same issue. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ather
Sorry to jump into this thread but I'm having the same kind of problem on the same car too. The car is not ready to drive on the yet because of a tranny problem but I start it up to keep the battery charged.
After letting it run and heat up a bit, the expansion tank just purges the coolant. I noticed that there is no coolant entering or exiting the expansion tank prior to the purge. I took a look under the hood and I am not seeing the hose where the expansion tank connects to the radiator.
Not sure where to start looking or what may be probable causes. Did a search on coolant purges and one owner replaced the radiator. Not sure if that is the same issue. Thanks in advance.
Run it without the cap on the expansion tank and see what happens.
There are two hoses to the expansion tank…one goes to the upper radiator hose and the other to the crossover coolant pipe between the two heads. The only other place the expansion tank can purge is out the bottom when the cap bleeds pressure.

If you're having pressure buildup in the cooling system it's possible you have a head gasket leak, there is a tester available for this.

Combustion Leak Detector at National Tool Warehouse
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Run it without the cap on the expansion tank and see what happens.
There are two hoses to the expansion tank…one goes to the upper radiator hose and the other to the crossover coolant pipe between the two heads. The only other place the expansion tank can purge is out the bottom when the cap bleeds pressure.

If you're having pressure buildup in the cooling system it's possible you have a head gasket leak, there is a tester available for this.

Combustion Leak Detector at National Tool Warehouse
NAPA also sells a combustion leak detector. Just went through this with my daughter's Ford F-350 6.0L. Bought the NAPA kit. Just a caution, for small leaks, make sure you are not pulling any gasses from the engine compartment. I got a light aqua color which didn't match what I should have seen (green or yellow). It was very difficult to get a good seal on the expansion tank (in my case - no radiator cap) from the git go. As a result, I pulled in hot fumes from the engine compartment and it made it difficult to come to a conclusion.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on the cap. Once it starts puking, the tension in the cap can become questionable and it can release at lower pressures.

Also, different vehicle and may not apply to the 4.2, but on my 98 2.8 Avant, I was driving my son to college and started to see the temp gauge creep up - never had before and had no leaks. A half hour into the drive, a cloud of steam came out from under the hood and it dumped the entire coolant load onto the road. Luckily in front of a store where I could buy a couple gallons of water. That got me about 5 more miles. Wound up getting towed to the shop. In my case, the thermostat stuck closed and the pressure build up was so intense, it blew a hole in the metal coolant pipe that ran behind the 2.8 from one side to the other. I looked at the pipe and couldn't believe it. Thick metal split wide open and no puking out of the degas cap.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ajg617
Ditto on the cap. Once it starts puking, the tension in the cap can become questionable and it can release at lower pressures.

Also, different vehicle and may not apply to the 4.2, but on my 98 2.8 Avant, I was driving my son to college and started to see the temp gauge creep up - never had before and had no leaks. A half hour into the drive, a cloud of steam came out from under the hood and it dumped the entire coolant load onto the road. Luckily in front of a store where I could buy a couple gallons of water. That got me about 5 more miles. Wound up getting towed to the shop. In my case, the thermostat stuck closed and the pressure build up was so intense, it blew a hole in the metal coolant pipe that ran behind the 2.8 from one side to the other. I looked at the pipe and couldn't believe it. Thick metal split wide open and no puking out of the degas cap.
Good point…I'd hate to have to replace the thermostat in between a TB service..although it wouldn't be the first time. So far it's not puking coolant again and I have an expansion tank cap STANT adapter in shipping.

Quick Reply: Weird coolant puke...