A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

weird noise from suspension while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise from suspension while driving

So this morning when I reversed out of my driveway on my way to work I heard a loud noise like a metal scraping (nails on a chalkboard or old playground equipment?) I shift into drive and accelerate and the noise persisted and got louder the faster I went. I thought that I was about to burn my timing belt so I pulled over and didn't hear but any noise from the engine. I went ahead and drove back home (didn't go far at all) and while driving back I hit a small bump and the noise actually changed so that confirms that its suspension related. Transmission shifts fine engine is smooth and the car pulls nicely too and smooth except for the noise and there are no fluid leaks in that area. Its mostly coming from the front drivers wheel.

I am pulling front wheels off on saturday to poke around but mean while these things come to mind.

Control arms
Tie rod ends
Drive axle (outer boot does need attention)
Brake pad rubbing
Help

Thanks

2001 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 quattro 185,338 miles
Old 01-23-2015, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Brake pads. Most likely the rears. I would give it a check. If those pistons get too far out because of worn pads, and the the thinning of the disk, they fail to retract. It sounds like dragging metal on metal. Its worth a check. Emits a god awful sound.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blink
Brake pads. Most likely the rears. I would give it a check. If those pistons get too far out because of worn pads, and the the thinning of the disk, they fail to retract. It sounds like dragging metal on metal. Its worth a check. Emits a god awful sound.
brakes are new all around along with rotors (almost a year) I haven't had a chance to poke around yet but I did have a chance to creep the car slowly in my driveway and the noise is definitely coming from the front driver's side wheel. I have not driven the car anywhere meanwhile though. The 1/4 mile I did drive yesterday morning before turning around the car pulled nicely drove straight and smooth shifted smooth and braked normally nd smooth as well. I swear I hope I don't have to spend money and if I do that its not too much...
Old 01-24-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Could be a wheel bearing but is most likely a brake issue. Maybe a rock or mud got into the caliper. Wheels on our cars love to retain mud, snow, and rocks. Centrifugal force keeps it glued to the rim when driving but gravity makes it fall to the bottom when your car is sitting still.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
Could be a wheel bearing but is most likely a brake issue. Maybe a rock or mud got into the caliper. Wheels on our cars love to retain mud, snow, and rocks. Centrifugal force keeps it glued to the rim when driving but gravity makes it fall to the bottom when your car is sitting still.
IF its a wheel bearing (hope its not) is it possible for it to go bad overnight? My understanding is that when bearings go the slowly get noisy and my issue got loud basically overnight. Because on Wednesday night everything was fine and dandy. On the other hand the brakes sound more feasible since the noise developed over night (car sitting still)

Last edited by audi_nicoya209; 01-24-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by audi_nicoya209
IF its a wheel bearing (hope its not) is it possible for it to go bad overnight?
Anything is possible but probably not. Wheel bearing start making noise as the ***** break down. Noise is first heard when turning and as it continues to fail, noise is heard when traveling straight. Grab the spring or strut while spinning the wheel by hand. If the bearing is bad, you can feel the ***** grinding in the race.

I would agree with "the_duke" about debris dropping into the brake assembly. Jack it up and spin the wheel to localize the noise.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default *UPDATE*

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Anything is possible but probably not. Wheel bearing start making noise as the ***** break down. Noise is first heard when turning and as it continues to fail, noise is heard when traveling straight. Grab the spring or strut while spinning the wheel by hand. If the bearing is bad, you can feel the ***** grinding in the race.

I would agree with "the_duke" about debris dropping into the brake assembly. Jack it up and spin the wheel to localize the noise.
OK so I just back inside from pulling my front driver side wheel and while I had it off I found a small rock wedged in between the metal splash shield and the rotor on the bottom edge of the shield so I took a flat blade screw driver and pushed the shield back a bit and let the pebble fall out. I put the wheel back on and backed up and went forward in my driveway behold and no more noise. Dodged a bullet today for sure...
Old 01-24-2015, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by audi_nicoya209
Dodged a bullet today for sure...
Now that would be something if you found a bullet lodged in there.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRuby
Now that would be something if you found a bullet lodged in there.
seriously especially with the way Stockton (even worse at the part of town i work) is i wouldn't of have been surprised