A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Wheel bearing noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel bearing noise?

Started to get a slight ticking/squeaking noise in LF that varies with the wheel speed about 2K after replacing the front brakes. Hear it when driving straight on or making a left turn. Don't seem to notice it making a right turn. Pads and Rotors are Audi dealer. Tap the brakes and the sound goes away. Changed the front axle today and it is noticeably louder. While I had things apart, I checked rotor surfaces. No ridges, abnormal wear, or hot spots on the braking surfaces and no scoring.

Right wheel bearing failed about a year ago, but without noise. Reason I'm wondering about the bearing is because it got louder with a nice tight axle.

Thanks,
AJG
Old 08-31-2014, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealer once told me that front right bearing needs to be replaced. Well, that was at 75k and now nearing 122k, I've done all sorts of repair other than the bearing. I tried the "wiggle the wheel" trick and it seems to be fine plus, doesn't make noise when driving. So, when it starts to complain loudly, I'll think of replacing.

Maybe sound is coming from some thing else contacting the rotors/other rotating parts..? I'd try to drive slow in a noise-free road (maybe at night) and figure out where the sound is coming from. If you have luxury of a lift, you can try to turn the wheels and see if something is in contact with moving surfaces.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg617
Started to get a slight ticking/squeaking noise in LF that varies with the wheel speed about 2K after replacing the front brakes. Hear it when driving straight on or making a left turn. Don't seem to notice it making a right turn. Pads and Rotors are Audi dealer. Tap the brakes and the sound goes away. Changed the front axle today and it is noticeably louder. While I had things apart, I checked rotor surfaces. No ridges, abnormal wear, or hot spots on the braking surfaces and no scoring.

Right wheel bearing failed about a year ago, but without noise. Reason I'm wondering about the bearing is because it got louder with a nice tight axle.

Thanks,
AJG
Get an auto stethoscope or hold a long screwdriver to your head near your ear and touch blade to front knuckle while wheel is being rotated. A bad bearing will usually make a "rough gritty" sound. Good bearing will be silent.