A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

05 A6, pulling driveshaft, reuse or replace bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 A6, pulling driveshaft, reuse or replace bolts?

This weekend I will be replacing the center drive-shaft support bearing on my A6. I found a great write-up here (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...te-up-2752084/). If anyone knows of a better one, or has more details, Please let me know!

My question is, do you think its ok to reuse the bolts that attach the drive shaft at either end, or should I replace them.

Of course the service manual says to replace them, but the member who did the write up says nothing about it.

I replaced the axles in my GTI before, and they used similar bolts to attach the flanges to the transmission, and I just reused the old ones. (I actually had to replace one side twice, cause the first axle they gave me broke under warranty)

If you guys think I should replace the bolts, do you know of any part #'s, or where I could get them cheaply, and by the weekend?

Thanks!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

If your bolt are stuck, replace them, I didn't read the thread but if you have to strecht the bolt by adding a couple of degree after torquing them to the correct spec, I wouldn't think about using the same one. Are thoses bolts expensive? When I am doing thoses kind of project, I always spend the extra bucks on new bolts just to make sure I won't have problem with that part of the project. Last winter I change my complete steering gear, I use new bolts for everything. I did too two subframe mount on the front of the car and I use news bolts. I don't think you save a lot on using the same bolt. But it is my opinion.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by life4sk8
If your bolt are stuck, replace them, I didn't read the thread but if you have to strecht the bolt by adding a couple of degree after torquing them to the correct spec, I wouldn't think about using the same one. Are thoses bolts expensive? When I am doing thoses kind of project, I always spend the extra bucks on new bolts just to make sure I won't have problem with that part of the project. Last winter I change my complete steering gear, I use new bolts for everything. I did too two subframe mount on the front of the car and I use news bolts. I don't think you save a lot on using the same bolt. But it is my opinion.
+1 on this...bolts are cheap and if they are in fact stretch bolts, you don't EVER want to reuse them. A grade 1 bolt will be A-ok and those can be picked up a lot of places, not just the Audi dealer.

http://www.fastenal.com/content/docu...renceGuide.pdf
Old 04-21-2015, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Excellent! Thanks for your advice. I don't believe they're stretch bolts. The manual says the torque specs on either side of the drive-shaft is 55Nm, with no additional turns.

Any idea where I could find out exactly what size these bolts are, so I can have them in hand before I get started? I would hate to get everything apart, and then run around town trying to find a place that is open an a Saturday and has these in stock.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't think its necessary to replace them. I had my driveshaft off a month ago and re-used the same bolts and haven't had any problems.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The only bolts I ever worry about replacing are stretch bolts. If they're only torqued to a specific value and not turned an extra amount you should be fine. The service manuals make a habit out of telling people to replace bolts that don't really need to be replaced.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got lucky, and didn't have to pull the drive shaft, or change the bearing. Once I moved the heat shield out of the way, I could see that one bolt was completely missing from the bracket, and the other one was halfway out! I'm really surprised it didn't make more noise than it did.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2015, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good for you! You solve it..