A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 02:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
"See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Electrical Guides
"
Print Wikipost

2005 A6 4.2 with battery drain - tried everything

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

audi wiring blows, I have a 2005

I was getting an adaptive headlight errors, opened the headlight and found the wire housings deteriorating, granted the wires are near the bulb, but why would you route past the heat of the headlight bulb where they could melt? Fixed it with extra heavy duty electrical tape and zip ties

sporadic driver's side brake/turn light failure, played with the springs and contacts and wires and now it seems to work.

left and middle garage door home link button always work, right button sometimes works

driver's side mirror heater not working, removed the glass found the heater element fried, so I checked the voltage and there a high current coming through the mirror heater wires even with the ignition off, there is obviously a short somewhere but since the heater element is fried it does not drain the battery. The mirror with auto dim and heater element is expensive so I will live with hand wiping it.

I'm guessing you have a similar short somewhere in your car, like the others have recommended start by checking to see which fuses draw current with the ignition off

Last edited by newa6er; 11-04-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a story, maybe of no value, other than a story.

My Wife had quite a nice Chevy Blazer but often had a dead battery. We determined the cause to be operator error - not closing the rear hatch tightly, causing the interior light to stay on, leading to a dead battery.

Behaviour modification failed and dead batteries continued so I installed one of those black boxes that would disconnect the battery from the car when the battery voltage dropped to some preset value. It would preserve enough power to start the car and would reset automatically. Problem mitigated -not solved - but we had no more dead batteries. The system worked well for several years.

Everything was fine until the alternator failed. Now, we have all nursed a car home on just the battery after a generator failure so my wife did just that. However, when the battery voltage dropped to the disconnect value, the black box disconnected the battery as designed, and the car died!! ie, The engine quit, power steering quit, trans shifted to neutral, lights went out!! She was able to steer the dead car to the side of the road safely while deciding what to do.

Well what would be the FIRST, instinctive thing any of us would be likely to do when our car quit like that? Yes, call the husband, but before that??

Well, of course, try to start the car!! Which she did! And the box did as designed, reset itself and started the engine. So she continued toward home. The battery disconnected twice more before she got home but she was ready for it and made it home safely. I had already bought another alternator and changed it that night.

Not sure we could use one of those boxes on our Audis but, when all else fails . . . ..

Eric

(S6, RT-10, FX 35 (Her's), XK-120 (Her's) Mk IV (Her's) CQ, FLHR, FLHRC (Her's) and some trucks)
Old 11-05-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by obyrne1
This car which I have owned for 6 months has had this problem for about 4 months, where there is a high current draining the battery when the car is parked.

It has had SIGNIFICANT diagnostic work done, but the source of the problem has not been found. The handy owner, two specialty shops and two audi dealers have not found the source, but have proposed replacing different components.

The current draw, seen on the meter is 1amp then dropping to a low value (30mA), and cycling back to 1 amp again after about 5 mins. There is no blown fuses, no faulty relays, and the effect occurs even with all fuses removed.

Here are the software versions
su c6-hu.33.6.0.0632
hw c6-hu.6303d2.0
fc sw 03501afc6ab-320870
fcps 0870 fchw h07

I Had a pre purchase inspection done at Boseman Audi who found no fault.

After each diagnostic attempt the car adds more faults (possibly due to fuse and relay removal) and now shows ESP fault and parking break malfunction.

The battery and charging circuit has been tested as OK, but one audi dealer insisted on replacing it as the cause. Another said that the cause was the steering column (Fix cost 5k).

Each fuse and relay has been tested. The access/start module under the steering column has been tested and isolated and still the problem.

There is no evidence of any modification to the car. No flood damage. No accident. All functions work as expected. No burning smell. I notice that the MMI does not show a battery level as described in the owners manual.

I have tried everything I know.
Does it have the advanced key ? http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Ignition%...nced%20Key.pdf
Old 11-05-2013, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Battery drain in 2005 A6 C6

The dealer finally figured out that Sirius module was defective and took it out of the loop and they also updated the software.
Now my battery management is not in the menu?
I asked the dealer, and he said that I don't need to worry about it as he says there have many problems with the battery management?
is this true?
Can I enable this using the VAG COm from Ross Tech or leave it alone?
As I quite don't know what the process is in VAG COM?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

In my 2005 A6 C6, Dealer found that Sirius module was staying on and draining the battery, they took out of the loop, installed the latest MMI software and also removed the battery management in the menu.
Car has not died and left it sitting for 5 days and started right up.
So, looks like it is fixed.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by bballfreak
In my 2005 A6 C6, Dealer found that Sirius module was staying on and draining the battery, they took out of the loop, installed the latest MMI software and also removed the battery management in the menu.
I had a similar issue with the battery and the dealer replaced the satellite module, along with the battery, and the issue was fixed.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bballfreak
I think this may be happening now with my car. I have the XM module not sure if it makes any difference. i notice that the nav/dvd unit stays on while the car is off/parked and the bose amplifier is not cold like it should be in the winter...leading me to believe it may be staying on also. Battery has been dead in the morning no fun.

I guess i will try unplugging the XM module...which sucks, it works and I use it all the time
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did not use my Sirius radio, so was not big deal.
After they by passed the Sirius radio, they also updated the software/firmware.
Prior to this, my radio would turn off every so often when driving over a small bump as well.
Now it is all good, thank god, radio does not turn off and also the battery does not die.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does your car actually die to the point where it won't start up?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, it used to die in like 2 days or so and no power whatsoever, totally dead.

Quick Reply: 2005 A6 4.2 with battery drain - tried everything