A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 02:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
"See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Electrical Guides
"
Print Wikipost

2005 A6 4.2 with battery drain - tried everything

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is a bit old now, but I'm having this issue now as well. There seems to be some agreement that the Sirius radio module is the culprit. How do I go about removing the Sirius module myself or can I even do it myself? Does this require Audi having to modify the computer?

If my car sits for more then 2-3 days, it's too dead to start. I had Autozone check the battery and do a load test. The battery came back as healthy as well as the charging system. Winter is approaching and I'm definitely going to have to get to the bottom of it before it starts getting cold.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have a 2006 Audi A6 3.2 with basically every option except adaptive cruise and rear camera. This includes nav, Sirius radio, heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can totally do it yourself, but you need a fiber loop that allows the optical computer but to continue to operate. This bus normally would go into the radio and back out the radio to the other connection that's there, so the loop just lets the signal come in and gradually bend around to go back out. Audi part number 4E0 973 802 should do it. Man, I wish I knew this thing was the problem a long time ago. I actually replaced my Sirius radio and again that had a problem. I have the full head unit I bought on eBay just sitting in my garage because I thought I was going to have to put that in.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the response schalliol. Please if you don't mind explain a little more. I generally understand what you are saying and may already have a loop I can use. I bought an aftermarket AMI VMS Media unit about 2 years ago and it starting failing after our really harsh winter last year in Chicago so I had to remove it because my Bluetooth/radio starting cutting out. So I may be able to use a loop from that, but I'm not sure I have the right ends. So do the radio fibers go out the back to the xm, then cd changer, then Bluetooth, then back in to the radio? Do the power to each unit pigtail that way too or are they individually wired through the car harness? How does the NAV play into that because the Nav is part of the loop too, right?

So basically your saying, I can't just unhook the power from the xm radio module and cd changer and leave the fibers in place?

If I do bypass them with a loop as you say, I still need to unhook their power, correct? Because that is really what is drawing the current anyway, right?

You say the in and out fibers... Why can't I just take the out loop, leave the out loop connector on the radio, take the other end that goes to the next unit, not sure if that is the cd, Bluetooth, or xm, and run that right back? Are the connectors wrong? The other thing is I really would like to leave my Bluetooth module in if that isn't the problem.

Also, where are the xm and Bluetooth modules located? As I said I had the cd changer and glove box out to do my previous install and uninstall of the aftermarket AMI so if they are back there I could figure it out, it be nice if I didn't have to take the dash apart.

Any feedback would be appreciated as soon as possible. My battery totally dies overnight now. Thanks
Old 10-04-2014, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm not sure I completely understand everything you're saying, but for the Sirius module. You can't just leave the fibers hooked up to it because it intercepts the optical signal, changes it and sends it back. I suppose you could leave it there, pull the power and put the loop in, but you might as well pull it.

The MOST network works this way at each component, but I don't know where the others are. You might have that loop as you say, but you'll see it if you google the part number.

Just do it one component at a time, since of course probably only one is busted.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, so you say this is in the trunk?
So each module has an in and out. I just get this loop and start one at a time picking the designated in and out for that module. But also need find the module and pull the power plug on the back. Is this right?

Is there any reason I can't take a plug apart and pull the fibers out and make a loop myself from the extra fiber I have from my unused cable. I also do have a fiber cutter I can use if I need to shorten one. Based on the picks I see online of the loop cable you suggest, I don't think I have the right connector. I think I saw online when I was installing my AMI I saw guys taking them apart. You just need to be careful. If you do cut a fiber you just need a good cut. I work with fibers for automation sensors so I have a chop style cutter that accepts different fiber diameters.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

this is the cable I have which is obviously a lot more then I need, but I may be able to use it.
Attached Images   
Old 10-04-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, the radio is in the door inside the trunk by the nav system. It should be easy to see and have a Sirius logo on it. I'm not sure that cable is what you need. Here's what a loop looks like (just google the part number from above):

It's just one connection into the radio that has both in and out.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unscrewed the module from the mount in the trunk. Unhooked the fibers and power. I know I don't have loop communication now, but at least I should be able to see if the xm module is the problem, right? Or could do this for the cd changer and/or Bluetooth as well if the xm module isn't the problem.

Local VW dealer can order the correct loop and have it by Tuesday for $25. Since I won't have the loop for a couple of days I can at least confirm which module it is until then. Maybe I should hook the module power back up, unhook one of the battery cables, check current draw, and one by one go through each module to see which one is pulling excess amps rather then trial and error.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was able to make my own loop from parts of my other cable. It was actually very easy to take apart the connectors. So I have communication again with power unhooked from the XM module. Hopefully that's the problem and I'm done.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Fantastic. It sounds like you made your own loop, which is great. If you have VAGCOM, you can run the loop check to see if all the modules are reachable electrically and by fiber.

Quick Reply: 2005 A6 4.2 with battery drain - tried everything