A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

05 A6 MMI Cut out, water under driver seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 A6 MMI Cut out, water under driver seat

Please help, yesterday drain was blocked under windshield, got a small puddle near left foot rest while washing the car. Unclogged drain, wetvac'd water. All good until today driving to work, on the way home could not turn on MMI, welcome screen then black. At one point looked like it was booting up locating XM station list , then black and cant even get that welcome screen. All black. CD Changer in Glovebox and Nav loads and ejects discs. All fuses good, I think, which ones should I double check? Under drivers seat is slightly damp. Maybe Bluetooth module got wet and failed? How do I get to it to bypass and just connect the fiber optics?. Any other troubleshooting help is appreciated.
Thanks.....
Old 08-18-2014, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I'd bet the your Bluetooth module had crapped out and you'll need to replace it. the bt can cause all the issues you've mentioned and is a known issue when it gets wet.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PO of my '06 A6 Avant had this very issue this Spring after we had already made deal on the car. He thought it was due to problems he had with Sunroof that had been replaced previously. Turned out to be clogged SR drains. Dealer replaced BT module an fine since. The indy dealer where he had purchased the car and who has done most of maintenance said he might have been able to dry it out rather than replace it. I'm not sure what technique he uses for drying, perhaps putting it in a bag or rice which acts as a desiccant and is commonly used with waterlogged cell phones w/some success. You might try contacting Salisbury Motor Car in Salisbury Center,NY for more info. He's on the web. Many years AUDI experience & great reputation.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Bluetooth module access to add bypass

Thanks for the replies - Just need some detail with pics if possible on how to gain access to the BT module so I can bypass with the optic loop adapter I have from Dension. I've read that the location is under drivers carpet in a plastic black box. Some say I need to remove pillar covers and seat, some say just the pillars. Need assistance on the pillar removal as not to break clips.

Thanks!...Phil
Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PJSalerno2
Thanks for the replies - Just need some detail with pics if possible on how to gain access to the BT module so I can bypass with the optic loop adapter I have from Dension. I've read that the location is under drivers carpet in a plastic black box. Some say I need to remove pillar covers and seat, some say just the pillars. Need assistance on the pillar removal as not to break clips.

Thanks!...Phil
You'll definitely need to remove the seats and it seems like this is similar to what you asked about in the past about a year ago:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ation-2847673/

BTW, there's a GREAT writeup here:

Quick run through of steps (Special thanks go to A8 Tech and PeterD for their help)

Removal

1 Remove the trim cover on the side of the seat that is over the seat belt.
2 Disconnect the seat belt from the seat.
3 Move the passenger seat all the way up and back.
4 Remove the front seat frame end protectors.
5 Using a 10mm multi spline socket remove the front seat frame bolts from both sides.
6 Move the seat all the way forward.
7 Using a 10mm multi spline socket remove the rear seat frame bolts from both sides.
8 Move the seat to a central position (this makes it easier to remove the seat form the car in a later step.
9 Disconnect the earth strap from the battery and ensure it can not accidently recreate a path to ground.
10 Tip the seat backwards on its frame and remove the cover from beneath the seat that protects all of the seat electrical connectors, remove said connectors and the cable strain relief clip.
11 Place some carpet/foam or similar close to the car, lift the seat out of the car and place on the foam the seat, being mindful not to rest the frame on the wires.
12 Remove the B-Post trim panels. First the upper one by pulling at its lowest point. Then the lower one by pulling at its highest point, once detached at the top pull the trim panel vertically upwards.
13 Remove the front sill trim panel by lifting gently from the rear working forward.
14 Unhook the carpet and gain access to the black plastic box that the BT module is in.
15 Using a flat bladed screwdriver release the catches on one side of the equipment box so that you can remove the lid.
16 Carefully remove the fibre obtic cable from the unit. DO NOT BEND THE FO CABLE! they damage easy if you take the bend radius too small.
17 Release the white lever on the electrical multiplug and remove from BT unit.
18 Take BT module with BT aerial attached out of the car.
19 Transfer the BT aerial to the new BT unit.

Last edited by raj99; 08-19-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW, to confirm, the BT module is located under upholstery under <b>driver's</b> seat
Old 08-19-2014, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default FIXED & THANKS!

Originally Posted by raj99
BTW, to confirm, the BT module is located under upholstery under <b>driver's</b> seat
Thanks for your help! As you suspected and pointed me to, there was still an inch of water on the bottom of well and had seeped in to the BT Black Box, crapped out the BT module and cut out the fiber optic communication to MMI. Wetvac'd and towel dryed the well and black box. Put in a fiber optic cable bypass and MMI booted right up and problem solved. I removed the BT module and taped up the female connector to make room for the FO cable not to get crimped and covered black box back up. Leaving rug elevated for a day or 2 in garage to get bone dry before buttoning everything back up. Drain has already been unplugged so root cause has been corrected.

You guys are the best, saved me $$$$$ on this and other previous issues on 3 different Audi's

Thanks again!...Phil