A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2010 A6 headlights on 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 A6 headlights on 2005?

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been answered before, but I haven't found a specific yes or no to the question. Anyways, I was wondering if I would be able to put headlights from a 2010 A6 C6 with the DRL's on my 2005 A6 C6. I would assume you can since both styles look the same and both car platforms are the same, but I didn't want to buy them to find out that they don't fit!
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Kersting
Hi guys, I'm sure this has been answered before, but I haven't found a specific yes or no to the question. Anyways, I was wondering if I would be able to put headlights from a 2010 A6 C6 with the DRL's on my 2005 A6 C6. I would assume you can since both styles look the same and both car platforms are the same, but I didn't want to buy them to find out that they don't fit!
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum and this question has been asked a number of times.

the install is not simply a plug and play and two things are required: - vcds mod (easy) - accommodating the additional wiring in New headlight https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/Audi/...it-Audi-A6-4F3. Or you could custom wire this.

Browse the forum and you should find additional details.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Okay thank you! So I've been looking around and found these...

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...wXIaAqQs8P8HAQ

But I am confused as to whether or not the xenon bulbs out of my current headlights would be able to go in these new ones. If not, could someone point me in the right direction as to where I'd find the missing parts for these? Most of the links on the forums that I have found so far have been European companies and I would like to stay with a US company.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just kidding, I didn't catch that the link Raj99 gave me was the complete set! My bad Thanks for the help!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

2009-11 headlights will work/fit in the 2005-2008 a6. If you had a set they would plug in and work (headlights, directionals). They use the same connector. By splicing the internal led wires the led lights come on as the drl lights and go off when the headlights are turned on. If you buy some without bulbs, your old bulbs won't work, the new lights use D3S bulbs. You would also need the newer D3S igniter and bulb retainer. If you have adaptive headlights your old module can be swapped over.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69RS
2009-11 headlights will work/fit in the 2005-2008 a6. If you had a set they would plug in and work (headlights, directionals). They use the same connector. By splicing the internal led wires the led lights come on as the drl lights and go off when the headlights are turned on. If you buy some without bulbs, your old bulbs won't work, the new lights use D3S bulbs. You would also need the newer D3S igniter and bulb retainer. If you have adaptive headlights your old module can be swapped over.
Actually you can't just plug them in and get the directionals and headlights to work. I have an 06 and I plugged in OEM facelift headlights and you will get all kinds of errors and codes. You will need to get a body control module with software revision K in order to enable the LED programming in VAGCOM. If you follow the kufatec instructions you will get no errors, but the LED DRL's still won't work, instead the amber front bumper lights will turn on and off by way of the MMI.

I have been going on this process for about 2 years now and from what I have been able to fine (and there really isnt much at all) is that the headlight plug on the body side has to be repined in order to match up with the new pins of the new headlight. That I am still not sure which pins need to go where. I am talking to someone in florida now who has it done and is going to help me out.

So this is not just a simple plug and move a few wires and vagcom it to work. You need the headlights and the body control module then the wiring. Also you will need to get new ballasts, ignitors and bulbs too for the new headlights. These are all thing that you need to consider into the cost. So far this project has cost me about $1700 and about 2 years worth of trying to figure it all out.

The other option is to get the DEPO lights off eBay and run them. The LED's will work without the headlights on, but turn off when the headlights are on. But someone is trying to figure out a way around that so they are on all the time. That would be plug and play.

Last edited by theaudiguy; 01-13-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's strange that yours didn't work. All I did was get new bulbs, igniters and swapped over the adaptive headlight module and everything except the leds worked, no re-pinning and not one error message. By splicing the led wires inside the headlights the led's now work as drl's thru the MMI. Mine go off when the headlights are on but it would be easy to add a splice so they would stay on.
You need to make sure you have the correct headlight version too, my car has the adaptive headlights so I'm using the "DK" headlights. I thing "DG" are for non-adaptive.
My car is a 05 4.2.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

69RS,
Can you tell me exactly what wires you spliced inside the headlight housing? And which wires you would need to splice if you wanted the LED's to stay on with the headlights too? Wiring is not my thing, so I am sort of struggling through this. Mechanics, no problem, this...... not so much. Im really ready for my lights to finally work. I know the LED's do work, tested them tonight. Please help a brother out!!

Also, I have the AFS version headlights too. I have a loaded 3.2 avant.