Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007-present

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 254372
 
AFrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 83
Default 4.2 Spark Plug options

Been told alot to get alot of different types/brands of spark plugs. My Audi mechanic recommended the NGK IX Iridium spark plugs from Autozone. Said these are much better then OEM NGK spark plugs. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=505324_0_0_

Should i be going platinum? i take it that Iridium is better?
What do you guys think?
__________________
2005 Audi A6 4.2 (C6)
Dakar Beige Metallic
Cream/Birch Grain Wood Interior
ColdWeather Package
Storage Package
Bose/Satelite/Voice Recognition
Keyless Entry/Push-to-Start
Navigation(Needs Update)
P245/40/ZR18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS
35% Window Tint, Muffler Delete, Xenon Match Foglights

Last edited by AFrancis; 06-17-2014 at 06:52 AM.
AFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 127679
 
raj99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFrancis View Post
Been told alot to get alot of different types/brands of spark plugs. My Audi mechanic recommended the NGK IX Iridium spark plugs from Autozone. Said these are much better then OEM NGK spark plugs. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=505324_0_0_

Should i be going platinum? i take it that Iridium is better?
What do you guys think?
I went with the OEM NGK plugs and seem to be fine. I might go Iridium next time, since I have run them in my other vehicles. To be honest I've never noticed an enormous difference when going from one type of plug to another...unless you get stuck with a dud, but I've always either purchased OEM or higher perf plugs.
raj99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 254372
 
AFrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj99 View Post
I went with the OEM NGK plugs and seem to be fine. I might go Iridium next time, since I have run them in my other vehicles. To be honest I've never noticed an enormous difference when going from one type of plug to another...unless you get stuck with a dud, but I've always either purchased OEM or higher perf plugs.
Thats what im looking for, higher perf pulgs, since im sure the OEM are out dated since its a 8+year old car.

Have you replaced your spark plugs before? if so, what did you do for your gap with the plugs, did you go 0.32, since we both have 4.2s. when i read the 55k service forum it didnt mention the 4.2. Im thinking its a smaller gap like 0.30.
__________________
2005 Audi A6 4.2 (C6)
Dakar Beige Metallic
Cream/Birch Grain Wood Interior
ColdWeather Package
Storage Package
Bose/Satelite/Voice Recognition
Keyless Entry/Push-to-Start
Navigation(Needs Update)
P245/40/ZR18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS
35% Window Tint, Muffler Delete, Xenon Match Foglights

Last edited by AFrancis; 06-17-2014 at 11:08 AM.
AFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 127679
 
raj99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFrancis View Post
Thats what im looking for, higher perf pulgs, since im sure the OEM are out dated since its a 8+year old car.

Have you replaced your spark plugs before? if so, what did you do for your gap with the plugs, did you go 0.32, since we both have 4.2s. when i read the 55k service forum it didnt mention the 4.2. Im thinking its a smaller gap like 0.30.
My plugs are pre-gaped for the appropriate engine, so there's no need to change the gap. I'm sure someone here has the Bentley page pdf who can post the particular gap, but I believe for the 4.2 it's .040

BTW, here are the one's I installed in my car: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3435&ppt=C0334
raj99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:43 AM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 254372
 
AFrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj99 View Post
My plugs are pre-gaped for the appropriate engine, so there's no need to change the gap. I'm sure someone here has the Bentley page pdf who can post the particular gap, but I believe for the 4.2 it's .040

BTW, here are the one's I installed in my car: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3435&ppt=C0334
See you say no need to change the gap, but from the NGK website and everyone i hear/read from says the pre gap is off by alot and that it MUST be regapped. that plug you showed me the laser platinum is pre gapped at .44 when ive read that it needs to be arond .30-.34. for the 4.2 engines, so i dont know who to believe really. So i need to find out more.

and nice on the orileys link, found these http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3435&ppt=C0334 for $9.99. theyre like $14+ everywhere else. Most state of the art right now.
__________________
2005 Audi A6 4.2 (C6)
Dakar Beige Metallic
Cream/Birch Grain Wood Interior
ColdWeather Package
Storage Package
Bose/Satelite/Voice Recognition
Keyless Entry/Push-to-Start
Navigation(Needs Update)
P245/40/ZR18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS
35% Window Tint, Muffler Delete, Xenon Match Foglights
AFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community