A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Anyone w/ adaptive headlights experience shaking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by am_ver
And then when you turn, the lights turn with the steering - it should be easy for you to check, while in park, turn the steering all the way in one direction. you will notice more light on that side. maybe you can get out of the car and look at the lights too.
You can't check if the adaptive lights work while the car is in park. According to Audi's owner's manual, and my own experience, they are not activated until the car hits 12 mph. If you have the adaptive lights you can clearly see the beams of light turning while you drive the car around a turn. If you don't see the beams of light turning when you go around a corner you either don't have the adaptive lights on your car, or they are broken. If you want to try an experiment I have noticed that if I pull quickly into my driveway and hit the brakes that I can see the beams of light return to "straight ahead" on my garage door.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lights auto level when I first turn them on (auto leveling), and turn with the wheels only when moving (adaptive). When stopped, they don't turn with the wheel. Point of reference: mine is a 2008.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckee98
My lights auto level when I first turn them on (auto leveling), and turn with the wheels only when moving (adaptive). When stopped, they don't turn with the wheel. Point of reference: mine is a 2008.
I am glad that I am not the only one saying that the adaptive lights don't work when stopped/parked. If it is that way for 2005 and 2008 I am sure that it is that way for 2006 and 2007.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I am glad that I am not the only one saying that the adaptive lights don't work when stopped/parked. If it is that way for 2005 and 2008 I am sure that it is that way for 2006 and 2007.
Kevin's right.

Best way to see adaptive lights work is in fog or on very dark winding roads with your brights on. In spirited driving you see the lights pan in the same direction of your turn and then return to straight ahead. More fun is when they pan left then right and then return to straight ahead. Very cool to watch.

Last edited by jefman; 10-24-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, and this is in manual mode also. I never use auto. I actually disabled the auto lights on my '01 GMC by adding a resistor in the light sensor circuit since there is no "off" switch.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
You can't check if the adaptive lights work while the car is in park. According to Audi's owner's manual, and my own experience, they are not activated until the car hits 12 mph.
ah... thats good to know - I might have been confused with the bmw adaptive headlights which turn while you are stationary.

Either way, our (Audi) adaptive headlights turn with the turn of the steering wheel.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, and this is in manual mode also. I never use auto. I actually disabled the auto lights on my '01 GMC by adding a resistor in the light sensor circuit since there is no "off" switch.
Just curious why you don't use Auto mode which is connected to your mirror sensor?
Old 10-24-2009, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mystrodo
Just curious why you don't use Auto mode which is connected to your mirror sensor?
I don't like having the lights turn on briefly, then off when starting, then on again. The cycling of the bulbs (both HID and Halogen) shortens the lifespan. With it in manual mode, I start the car, then turn the lights on and leave them on.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts
Default I had the same problem on my '06 A6 Avant, took it to dealer...

to check it against a TSB, which stated to check for loose mounts. The Service Manager informed me that the mounts were not loose, but an updated part was issued for the adaptive headlights, and he was going to replace them with the newer part. As it turns out, the left (driver's) side headlight was the source of the vibration, and was replaced under warranty. Problem solved.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't like having the lights turn on briefly, then off when starting, then on again. The cycling of the bulbs (both HID and Halogen) shortens the lifespan. With it in manual mode, I start the car, then turn the lights on and leave them on.
+1 - I keep mine off during the day and put it on auto mode if I drive at night - which is quite seldom.

Quick Reply: Anyone w/ adaptive headlights experience shaking?