A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Audi A6 Wagon, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 Wagon, worth it?

Hello everyone i'm a new member to this forum. I currently have a Subaru GT Wagon. I'm interested in purchasing a Audi A6 Wagon, but I see they mainly make them 3.2 only in 2006-2008. I see a few of them in my area for sale with 80-100k+ miles on it. Will it be better off purchasing one with 100k miles or more? Or is it best to purchase one with 80k or lower? From my research it seems parts start to fail on this car alot around 80k miles am I correct? I want to make sure i'm making the correct decision.

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2016, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by audiloverman
Hello everyone i'm a new member to this forum. I currently have a Subaru GT Wagon. I'm interested in purchasing a Audi A6 Wagon, but I see they mainly make them 3.2 only in 2006-2008. I see a few of them in my area for sale with 80-100k+ miles on it. Will it be better off purchasing one with 100k miles or more? Or is it best to purchase one with 80k or lower? From my research it seems parts start to fail on this car alot around 80k miles am I correct? I want to make sure i'm making the correct decision.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum and fwiw, the wagon/avant on the C6 platform was ONLY available with a 3.2 here in north America. There's a LOT of info on the C6 platform and I'd STRONGLY advice you to leverage the search function built into the site. There's a recent thread VERY similar to yours: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...t-buy-2911174/

The essence of buying any used car which is a decade old, is that maintenance is critical and when buying a used vehicle you are buying the previous owner as much as the actual vehicle. So if it was well loved, it's probably a good buy, regardless of mileage.

I bought my 4.2 direct from an original owner, who had religiously maintained the vehicle until the last year of ownership, at which point he let a few things "slide". He was a professional who had a great home on the lake and the car was consistently parked in his garage...so the elements didn't impact the car and the appearance and care for the car was equivalent to that of his home and other assets.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by audiloverman

Thanks!
Wagons are the best. They pretty hard to find (besides Upper East side of Manhattan and Hamptons). And I still get complements for my 10 y/o car. Also note, that Audi caved and only brings SUVs and sedans to USA since 2012.

i.e. I had 1996 A6 wagon till 195K miles. my current 2006 A6 wagon has 160K miles and I am pretty sure it can survive till 250K or something.
For comparison I had 1991 Subaru Legacy Turbo and had to send her to junk yard at 104K miles. Maybe because then I was a bit younger and really liked to push it around.

The parts for A6 are more expensive, but you can offset it by getting analysis of the problem right and bringing parts straight to the shop. For sure avoid Audi dealership. Also resist the urge to get any aftermarket upgrades since most of them will lead to the shortened lifespan of the car.

Last edited by beep-beep; 12-22-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Welcome to the forum and fwiw, the wagon/avant on the C6 platform was ONLY available with a 3.2 here in north America. There's a LOT of info on the C6 platform and I'd STRONGLY advice you to leverage the search function built into the site. There's a recent thread VERY similar to yours: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...t-buy-2911174/

The essence of buying any used car which is a decade old, is that maintenance is critical and when buying a used vehicle you are buying the previous owner as much as the actual vehicle. So if it was well loved, it's probably a good buy, regardless of mileage.

I bought my 4.2 direct from an original owner, who had religiously maintained the vehicle until the last year of ownership, at which point he let a few things "slide". He was a professional who had a great home on the lake and the car was consistently parked in his garage...so the elements didn't impact the car and the appearance and care for the car was equivalent to that of his home and other assets.
Actually, AoA did offer the 3.0T C6 Avant 2009-2011, I believe. There are some floating around, but these A6 Avants are as rare as some exotics. You just never see them out in the wild.

As far as your question, we own an 06 3.2 Avant since 2010 with 136K miles. Its been somewhat reliable. although we fell victim to a EVAP detection leak gremin and was only remedied by replacing the ECU($1700 fix). Other than that, no serious issues other than a timing chain cover leak. Regularly change the oil with M1 or Total synthetic, plugs, belts, tranny fluid, and it should run to 200k easily.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLusive
Actually, AoA did offer the 3.0T C6 Avant 2009-2011, I believe. There are some floating around, but these A6 Avants are as rare as some exotics. You just never see them out in the wild.
Correct:

Another 3.0T Avant Captured! - AudiWorld Forums
Old 12-28-2016, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default On 3rd C6 Avant & friend will have one FS

At the bottom of this comment I'l paste a link to earlier conversations on this subject. That being said a long time BMW guy was converted to C6 Avant after driving my 1st one w around 200K on it. He bought an '07/'08 and other than a few small issues has enjoyed it. But yielding to the siren call for more HP he jumped on a 2011 A6 3.0T w/lo mileage in Texas a moth or two ago. He's flying to Austin tomorrow to pick it up and will be driving to Santa Fe where he'll leave it until Feb/March when he goes on vacation & drives it back. At that time he'll be ready to sell his '07/'08.
I've been averaging 35K yearly since 1966, mostly VW's, RWD Volvos and AUDI's since 2010. I think the C6 platform is a truly great car. I would advise however a good PPI, service records if possible and having a good honest INDY mechanic. The AUDI dealer is not your friend on these older platform cars in my opinion. IMHO the reason these cars depreciate so much is due to the expense of maint/repair at Auth dealer facility. If you have a good guy most of the repairs can be done for way less. My mechanic was tired of VW shop practices/politics and took a job maintaing FEDEX trucks. He works on my car for $40 hr and let's me chase parts!
GL
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-long-2900608/
Old 12-28-2016, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLusive

As far as your question, we own an 06 3.2 Avant since 2010 with 136K miles. Its been somewhat reliable. although we fell victim to a EVAP detection leak gremin and was only remedied by replacing the ECU($1700 fix). Other than that, no serious issues other than a timing chain cover leak. Regularly change the oil with M1 or Total synthetic, plugs, belts, tranny fluid, and it should run to 200k easily.
You're absolutely correct, the C6.5 (3.0T engine) did have a wagon available from 09-11, however I was answering the OPs original question where he was interested in the 06-08...and in those years only the 3.2 was available here in NA.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was lucky enough to find one of the 2011 rare birds - 61K mileage - but the 3.0T engine is amazing .. if you're willing to wait for one of these - I recommend it! I've had 6 Audi's - still own 3 - and this one is a spectacular car!

Last edited by pcasa; 01-28-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I purchased an 07 wagon in April with 111k on it. I knew based on mileage that it was due for its second 55k service (plugs, coils, fuel filter). I also knew based on a visual inspection that it had several oil leaks and thus needed upper timing chain cover gaskets, vacuum pump and valve cover gaskets. It also needed an oil pan as someone at some point tried to jack the car with the oil pan. Around 115k it started having a miss. I took it to a personal friend who is an Audi tech. Come to find out it was on the original coils and the miss was due to the #2 cylinder's coil being completely dead. He also found that the thermostat housing was cracked and leaking (common). After it was all over I had $1100 into it a few months after purchase. Based in the MkIV Golf this vehicle is replacing, I was confident to put the money into it. It does still need a trans service, front control arm bushings, and the rear liftgate latch motor. Other than that, it's a pretty solid car.

Also, per two different sources, the timing chain issue was pretty much resolved by the 07 model year which is the only reason I bought the car as both sources said they have not seen any 07+ 3.2L cars that needed timing chains.