Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007-present

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 167151

Default Audio upgrade A6: best aftermarket solution?

I am buying a 2010 A6 next week, unfortunetly you cannot add the upgraded Bose Audio to the Special Edition package of this car. So i'm getting the stock audio which sounded mediocre.

What is the best way to do an aftermarket audio upgrade? I would like to retain the MMI/head unit etc as this is core to the car's operation.

Will you achieve much improvement if an audio shop adds a subwoofer and swaps in better speakers? Is a new amp recommended? Can you add all of this on to the existing head unit?
ss_blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 165261

What do you mean by "special edition?"
LucFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 167151

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucFuture View Post
What do you mean by "special edition?"
Special Edition is new for 2010. Much lower price point to incorporate a lot of the stuff from the Prestige trim + S-line option (ex S-line exterior, better tires/wheel, rear camera, sport suspension, push start, aluminum brushes interior instead of wood etc..). You basically save $7000 but unfortunetly you can't add Bose or Nav to it
ss_blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 167707

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_blake View Post
I am buying a 2010 A6 next week, unfortunetly you cannot add the upgraded Bose Audio to the Special Edition package of this car. So i'm getting the stock audio which sounded mediocre.

What is the best way to do an aftermarket audio upgrade? I would like to retain the MMI/head unit etc as this is core to the car's operation.

Will you achieve much improvement if an audio shop adds a subwoofer and swaps in better speakers? Is a new amp recommended? Can you add all of this on to the existing head unit?
I have an 05 a6 that came with the bose stereo. I wasn't really impressed with the stock bose system so I had aftermarket speakers, sub, and amplifier installed. I have hertz speakers, audison amp, and jl audio sub. My new system sounds amazing. I highly recommend it. If you want any more info just let me know.
ljaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 89635

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_blake View Post
You basically save $7000 but unfortunetly you can't add Bose or Nav to it
I guess you have to give up something for $7,000. I am sure that you can find something for less than $7,000.
2015 A6 TDI Prestige with 19" Sports Package with Season Dedicated Tires - Oolong Gray Metalic, Nougat Brown Interior, Dark Brown Walnut Inlays, Black Headliner, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision Assistant with Pedestrian Detection.

RIP - 2005 A6 4.2 - (February 2005 - August 2014) (142,000 miles)

C6 TSB Library link (Thanks to Dr. Cold for his help in setting this up) http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/
KevinGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 AM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 166763

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljaudi View Post
I have an 05 a6 that came with the bose stereo. I wasn't really impressed with the stock bose system so I had aftermarket speakers, sub, and amplifier installed. I have hertz speakers, audison amp, and jl audio sub. My new system sounds amazing. I highly recommend it. If you want any more info just let me know.
You aren't impressed with the stock Bose??? I thought the Harmon Kardon in my range was good until I heard this one. It literally is loud enough (with the windows down) to hurt your ears and seems pretty crisp to me. Best bose I've heard. They sound like **** in the caddilacs and nissans though.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 167707

The bose system is ok, but in my experience bose speakers tend to degrade in quality over time while high end speakers usually get better the more they are used. Don't get me wrong, the bose can definitely sound good, but I enjoy my custom system so much more than the bose. Have you heard the Bang & Olufsen system that is in the A8/S8 and the A5/S5. I've never had the chance to hear this system and have always wondered how it compares to the bose system. Anyone know?
ljaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 166975

Quote:
The bose system is ok, but in my experience bose speakers tend to degrade in quality over time while high end speakers usually get better the more they are used. Don't get me wrong, the bose can definitely sound good, but I enjoy my custom system so much more than the bose. Have you heard the Bang & Olufsen system that is in the A8/S8 and the A5/S5. I've never had the chance to hear this system and have always wondered how it compares to the bose system. Anyone know?
I recently drove a '09 Q7 with a Bang and Olufsen system, and it's a step above the Bose. It's not head and shoulders above the Bose, but it's just cleaner sounding. I also recently drove an '09 A4 that had the stock stereo system, and that was a POS.
major_major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 224857

Quote:
I would like to know all the details ljaudi. I recently purchased an 06 A6 with the Bose system and I'm not impressed. It sounds alright in surround mode but its nothing compared to my previous vehicles aftermarket JL Audio system. I'm very curious as to what lengths I must go through to seamlessly do this on my A6. Can you give me the run down?
whit3Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 222617

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1racer View Post
You aren't impressed with the stock Bose??? I thought the Harmon Kardon in my range was good until I heard this one. It literally is loud enough (with the windows down) to hurt your ears and seems pretty crisp to me. Best bose I've heard. They sound like **** in the caddilacs and nissans though.
I agree, my 08' Range Rover Sport has a Harmon Kardon system and my Audi Bose system blows it out the water!
Youngmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
a6, add, aftermarket, audi, audio, bang, bose, c6, car, euro, olufsen, parktronic, stereo, subwoofer, upgrade, ways