A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Backup Camera - Installation/Retrofit 07 A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera - Installation/Retrofit 07 A6 Avant

So I recently got a 2007 a6 c6 avant q. I drove it 300 miles, prior to the drive vcds scan said it had component protection on my voice module, amplifier, and on my gateway as well. The only thing I noticed that didn't work was the sound from the right side of stereo was not working, which is consistent with component protection on the amp. Everything else seemed to work fine.

First thing I did to the car was replace the head unit with 1 with FBAS for the backup camera, and put in a new gateway, to be compatible with camera. I coded them and scanned with vcds and no coding errors, just component protection errors.

I thought I ran it after putting in the two new modules but maybe I didn't, or didn't notice, or maybe it took a while to fully kick in, but now nothing works. In addition to the components that had component protection before, plus the mmi head unit, it seems component protection has spread to my instrument cluster and my climate control. My instrument cluster has all the lights on and says safe - the spedo and tach and fuel gauges don't work. The climate control doesn't work at all. My interior lights don't work (foot wells etc) unless the door is open. And now absolutely no sound, which I suspect it due to the new head unit.

My question I suppose is, is it normal after putting in the new gateway for my climate control and instrument cluster to now have component protection? I have no fault codes - aside from component protection.

I will use this thread to document the process of adding the oem backup camera & AMI once I can get the car to the dealer to remove CP.

Thanks

Last edited by DreewMcK; 05-05-2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mm.. That is normal.. I recall same components went in protection when I changed gateway for my rvc installation.
Cheers /H
Old 03-17-2016, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

So with component protection kicking in on the new gateway my spedo stopped working and would have made it quite challenging to bed in the brakes properly. I put the old gateway back in and it was fine (aside from stereo and possibly voice that have CP active on them in addition to the gateway). I haven't tried resetting the mmi multiple times which i read worked to fix the stereo CP for 1 Q7.

But for the gateway I put the new one back in because I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow morning to have CP removed all around.

I don't know when exactly CP protection kicked in the first time around on the gateway, but it wasn't right away. This time is isn't coming back, at least not yet. I have only driven the car a few times and turned ignition off/on to try and see if anything changes using vcds but it seems to be working. On the gateway it still says

1 Fault Found:
02095 - Component Protection Active
008 - Implausible Signal

Does anyone know when CP might kick in again, and my instrument cluster stops working along with HVAC? I tried clearing codes to see if that would trigger it but it doesn't seem to. Is it a set # of days or ignition cycles or km?

I figure i'd rather take it to the dealer with a working instrument cluster.

Oh I forgot to mention. When I put the old one in for the bed-in the instrument cluster and everything came back very quickly if not the first power on.

Thanks

Last edited by DreewMcK; 03-17-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sweetness! Dealer charged me an hour and removed CP from all my modules. They asked me what i replaced, and maybe i was a bit too fast with, "Nothing!" but it all went smoothly.

I added AMI when I got back. Was very easy. I cut the entire back of the plastic piece of glove compartment, on the right side next to CD player and was able to slide in the AMI unit. Used a little dremel thing with a small cutting wheel. I am not quite sure how to get it to lock in the glove compartment though.

With the wiring harness for the MOST. Start with the CD player connection. there is a blue lock you push out from the back. Then you have to get a small screwdiver and lift up on another little lock and pull the wire out. You want to remove the one with the arrow facing towards the wire. Take your new cable and put the loose wire end into the spot you just took the wire out of. Now connect the loose wire in the black box piece of the wiring harness. The rest is electrical power and is straight forward just plug in what fits where. Basically you want to have the CD player in for MOST, then onto the AMI, then back out.

I enabled extra media player in the gateway (19) installation list, reset AMI and it was working.

It came with the old ipod connector which is good for the wifes phone but I am going to put a USB stick in there.

Next I will add the backup camera, but it will be a few weeks.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Started a little on the backup camera on the rear lid - i have the avant.

Open boot.

Use a flathead to turn the middle screw and the screws underneath and the 2 panels on the sides came right off. There are 4 torx (25 i think) bolts on the back and 2 on the front underneath the first panel you have hanging there.

Then you can start to pop the back of the cover off. There are a bunch of spring retainer clips holding it in now.

There are two lights at the rear. I popped them out or in i forget, I think in and then disconnected the wiring. I also disconnected the wiring near the front on the corners. From here I was able to get the back all the way down and then it seemed to be sort of hanging on from the front two corners where it meets the other trim. I put a screwdriver up from underneath the trim starts to wrap around by the rear glass it and was able to sort of pop it off on each side.

Next I had to swap out the license plate light holder piece. There are 4 10 mm nut things that come off. Also unplug the wiring to the unit - there is a shiny piece on the belly of the connector that you have to push in to release the wires. There are also 2 retainers on the top of the license plate bulb casing - you can see them on the new one you are installing. You have to push down on this and then push the whole piece out, one side at a time.

This is as far as I got tonight but am happy as I think this is the most trim i need to remove, well at least the biggest piece, and that seems to be the hardest part. I'll get some pics in the daylight.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I had to remove the license plate holder (2 torx) in order to have enough clearance to remove the old part and put the new one with the camera in. I also had to take out the camera and the little metal bracket to get the big piece in place first then fitted the camera back in then secured with the bracket. I hope I didn't put the camera in upside down. The silver metal bracket has a little tab on the side opposite the torx to secure it.

I looped the wires i needed to run (3 - 1 fakra and 2 small power wires) around an existing wires, towards the passenger corner, down the hinge and then down the pillar. I couldn't get much clearance going down the pillar so I just tucked it in as best i could. Then the wires dropped down by the jack. I forgot at first but I went back and marked with masking tape which of the two small power wires was which - I used the same color wire and need to make sure the right wire goes in the right pin so i don't reverse things.

I then ran the cable (1 fakra) from the camera control unit up to the head unit. This was quite easy. I took out the spare tire cover compeltely and had to take the luggage track thing off on the passenger side (3 torx 45) once the rail was off i was able to run my wire underneath where the rail was and then come out at the back seat, in through the hinge where it folds and then i just tucked the wire up under the trim as best I could. It is a bit of a tight run so lay it out to make sure you have enough on each end before you start tucking the cable in tight places and make it hard to pull.

The only thing I don't have for this project is the camera control unit mounting bracket. Rather than spend money I don't need to I used some of those 3M command velcro tape things and mounted the control unit to a flat black plastic piece I had in the passenger boot compartment which seems like it was made for it.

So now I've got my wiring in place for the fakra connections. One thing i had to do that i didn't see mentioned anywhere was with the fakra connections. I ordered 2, 15m female fakra cables from ebay. Well the camera control unit has 3 fakra type connections - grey green and brown, and the two cables i got were green. 1 cable you need green from control unit to head unit so this is fine. But the one from the camera to the control unit is grey. The green cable will work fine (I hope) but I had to use an exacto knife to shave off part of the male grey connectors on both the camera side and the control unit in order for the green plug to fit. If you have the TV tuner and need to use the brown plug as well you may need to shave off the little tab in order for a green cable to fit. There are two tabs on the grey and brown, you are shaving the square/rectangular one, not the odd shaped pointy one.

I now need to add my actual power wiring from the fuse box in the trunk and my ground. And I have some "T" tap splices coming from china to tap into the CAN high + low of the convenience module which is right next to the jack and fuse box in the passenger boot compartment. Then some light soldering to connect my lengths of wires to the repair wire ends and I'll be good to go!

I have pics but am working on organizing them. My taps wont be here for a few weeks so the conclusion of this is a ways off yet but i'm confident it will be successful.

Last edited by DreewMcK; 03-28-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK. So I got everything hooked up and wired properly. Camera runs to control module. control module taps into CAN bus high & low, and has power from new fuse and ground. The FAKRA cables go from camera to module and up to the MMI head unit. The head/control unit if new because mine didn't have FAKRA, and the gateway is new. Both have had component protection removed from dealer.

So far I was able to go into 19 gateway and add the backup camera to the installation list.
Then I went into 07 control head and did the adaptation on ch 1 for the backup camera.
I restarted MMI.

I do not have a menu in the MMI related to the backup camera.

I was able to get into 6C backup camera module. Cleared fault codes (low voltage and no steering angle position communication - the battery died) and none came back. I tried to change the coding but it gave me error 31 request out of range. I tried again and entered the security access code first and then code but got the same error.

Any thoughts why I am getting this error?

Here is my scan, but I did it before i last drove it. The guide lines are there now and the reverse camera works as intended. The only fault I am getting now is that it is not calibrated (6C camera)

The camera module I purchased is a 4F0 910 441 HW 4L0 907 441 A module, from an 07 A6 4.2L

The coding the camera module came with was 1000204. I have been trying to change the last digit to 5 (for avant) but it is giving me error 31. I was able to take the 2 away so now my coding is 1000004.

I found a thread here that talks about coding the camera module but I haven't really experimented yet.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/12926-new-vag-com-mod.html

I will be picking up the calibration mat tomorrow to take care of that.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I got the calibration mat printed out. Mine printed a bit differently, there was the edge of the paper, then a thin box (line) that bordered the entire picture, and then the thick lines of the picture themselves. I used the thin line as my measuring point from the center of the back wheel.

I set ch 5 value as 500 since I had it laying on my garage floor. I set it 1600mm back from center of rear wheels and used value of 15558 for ch 4.

I tried a bunch of times but I couldn't get the proper measuring block value. It was always 0x00AA, so I kept trying different values in the adaptation to try to get it to work. Well after about the 5th or 6th time I realized that I just was being impatient and that I just needed to let it do its thing. Then after maybe 3 minutes or so the value changed to calibrated!

I still have not been able to change the last digit to a 5 as per the wiki. Could I have an older module? Its from a 2007 which might be the first year the feature was available and maybe only on sedans first?

I'll try to play with the brightness and other settings to get the RVC to turn off right away as I do find the lag a bit annoying but whatever.

Overall I am very pleased with the camera, however I would say that it should not be overly relied on. I have had a much harder time reversing looking at just the camera rather than looking out the windows and almost put it in the ditch. But it is really good for making sure you don't hit the car behind you in a tight parking spot and the angle of the camera is great. The resolution is pretty crappy but whatever. I was also impressed with how much you can see at night, I have OEM rear lights and I think it is more than sufficient.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I see that you put default 0 as camera height code..have you measured camera height from ground up? (or cal board depending how thick yours is)
thought if yours is higher and therefore can't code it as Avant..?
here is the heights:
0 X X : Camera height 1 (780mm Avant/Allroad) (880mm Saloon)
1 X X : Camera height 2 (795mm Avant/Allroad) (895mm Saloon)
2 X X : Camera height 3 (810mm Avant/Allroad) (910mm Saloon)
3 X X : Camera height 4 (825mm Avant/Allroad) (925mm Saloon)
4 X X : Camera height 5 (840mm Avant/Allroad) (940mm Saloon)
5 X X : Camera height 6 (855mm Avant/Allroad) (955mm Saloon)
6 X X : Camera height 7 (870mm Avant/Allroad) (970mm Saloon)
7 X X : Camera height 8 (885mm Avant/Allroad) (985mm Saloon)

cheers/H
Old 05-05-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I should probably leave it at 1, but wether that digit was 0, 1 or 2 it wouldn't let me change the last digit. I tried a variety of other #s as the last digit and they all said error 31 out of range.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera - Installation/Retrofit 07 A6 Avant