A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

driver mirror folding problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default driver mirror folding problem

Hello,
I own a 2011 Audi A6 (fabricated in December 2010) 2.0 TDI.
I experience a problem with the left door mirror upon unfolding it.
If the mirror is folded in (from the switch on the door panel) and then upon unfolding , it will not stop at the right position , but it will unfold to it maximum rage "like over the neck, all the way towards the front" - looks like a bull horn .
The mirror feels also somehow loose compared to the right one.

Another thing is that, if the mirror is in the unfold position (right angle) after about 5 times the car is started, the mirror will unfold itself towards the front again "over the neck again"; its like the mirror does not know its current position...

The only way that I can stop the mirror at the right position upon unfolding is to lower the window and stop it with the hand...

Anyone experienced this? Are these mirror programmed to specific angles [fold - unfold]? or the seating of the mirror should make the mirror stop?

thank you
The following users liked this post:
moonwalker (07-05-2022)
Old 02-28-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had something similar happen to me. I don't think the mirror actually "knows" what the current position is. When you rotate the position ****, it tells the motor to move the mirror. To fix something like you are describing I would put the **** in the open position, then align the mirror to be in that position. Then I would move the **** to the bottom(closed) position and have the mirror move in. If the mirror doesn't move in, I would move it to the folded position (matching the ****). Then keep opening and closing it, adjusting the mirror each time so that it matches the location on the ****.

A couple weeks ago when I had to do this, I was able to get my mirror lined up after 2 or 3 times.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like the mirror has lost its position and rotates too much. You may have to disassemble the mirror. To remove the mirror you have to remove the door panel and loosen the window regulator assembly bolted to the door.

I think (but not certain) that is has a mechanical stop because I broke one backing up which forced the mirror towards the front of the car. Be careful the mirrors with memory/fold functions are expensive. You will need the mirror base 4F1857409AM01C ($744).
You can get the entire mirror cheaper at the recyclers and just use your cover.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Trekie
Sounds like the mirror has lost its position and rotates too much. You may have to disassemble the mirror. To remove the mirror you have to remove the door panel and loosen the window regulator assembly bolted to the door.

I think (but not certain) that is has a mechanical stop because I broke one backing up which forced the mirror towards the front of the car. Be careful the mirrors with memory/fold functions are expensive. You will need the mirror base 4F1857409AM01C ($744).
You can get the entire mirror cheaper at the recyclers and just use your cover.
I believe also that I need a new base for it... like I said, the mirror feels loose at the "folding hinge".
The car was bought used from Germany, it came with this issue...I'll try to find a used one, but it looks pretty hard to find one...
Old 02-28-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The mirror has the following: heated, electrical folding, anti glare, turn signal, puddle light.
Seems like a new base runs pretty high...$500+ OEM
Old 02-28-2015, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

The mirrors that have the folding and memory function will have all those features you mentioned so don't worry. The only issue is that the two mirrors won't be synced ( the open and fold speed will be different).
I paid $300 for the entire mirror at the recyclers. I used my cover since I didn't want to paint the cover that came with it.

Originally Posted by sabin
The mirror has the following: heated, electrical folding, anti glare, turn signal, puddle light.
Seems like a new base runs pretty high...$500+ OEM
Old 02-28-2015, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The mirrors that have the folding and memory function will have all those features you mentioned so don't worry. The only issue is that the two mirrors won't be synced ( the open and fold speed will be different).
I paid $300 for the entire mirror at the recyclers. I used my cover since I didn't want to paint the cover that came with it.
Where did you find the mirror? Any good places? Perhaps online?
I have the part number for the mirror, but I believe because it is considered 2011 will be diff from a 2010 or 2009.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Where did you find the mirror? Any good places? Perhaps online?
I have the part number for the mirror, but I believe because it is considered 2011 will be diff from a 2010 or 2009.
Oh boy, didn't write all what I wanted...can't these posts be edited...?

I have the part number for the mirror, but I believe because it is considered 2011 will be diff from a 2010 or 2009 therefore could be harder to search by part number....
Old 02-28-2015, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got the mirror from LKQ. Go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and enter the relevant information. It will show you a list of recyclers in USA and Canada who have the part you are looking for.

Oh boy, didn't write all what I wanted...can't these posts be edited...?

I have the part number for the mirror, but I believe because it is considered 2011 will be diff from a 2010 or 2009 therefore could be harder to search by part number....
Old 02-28-2015, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got the mirror from LKQ. Go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and enter the relevant information. It will show you a list of recyclers in USA and Canada who have the part you are looking for.
thank you

Quick Reply: driver mirror folding problem