A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

ESP EPC & Engine Light ON

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Thanks for pointing this out, I am kinda green using the vagcom. I will give the G410 sensor a shot tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks..

Before doing that, would you perform engine basic setting 103 and 140 and post the result here. They are fuel pressures and adaptation values of low and high fuel pressure systems. Post the data before and after low pressure system pressure sensor G410 replacement.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey guys, this is quite an irritating issue. I'm having the same issue with my c6 a6.. This has been haunting the car for at least 6 months now and I'm quite frankly, am about to give up on it.

Here is a shot of the problem we've seen in VAGcom:
http://s8.postimage.org/k7zml1zjn/20111124_134215.jpg

It is generally an EPC problem. I will be able to drive it for a while, sometimes an hour, sometimes only 20 minutes and then the EPC light comes up, engine shakes, RPM goes to 1-2t RPM on its own, gas pedal sometimes works, sometimes don't, in a nutshell, it goes limp mode. (but not just underpowered limp mode, sometimes i cannot throttle - but I wait it out, 5-10 minutes, then limp it back home.)
*20-1 hour drive is less than 20 km but traffic is bad in this part of the world.

I have been reading alot in the net specificaly this thread:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ausible-Signal

We have done all adaptation needed.
We have changed 2 things: the throttle body (brand new), and the ECU (again, brand new) - they were not fried previously, but you know how dealerships go about this. they just change and change. if they fixed the problem, i couldn't care less. but here I am 6 months later and it is still having this problem.

Any advice where I should start now? Am I left with changing the engine wiring harness?

For the record: my car is an 05 audi a6, c6 body, 3.0 liter (non-turbo), CVT 7 speed tranny. it is completely bone stock.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello I have the exact same issue can you please be specific into what electical realy the dealer had ordered for you and if I solved your problem. you can email me at rickabdelqader@gmail.com thank you very much appriciated
Old 03-23-2014, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audiqader
Hello I have the exact same issue can you please be specific into what electical realy the dealer had ordered for you and if I solved your problem. you can email me at rickabdelqader@gmail.com thank you very much appriciated
Please post any findings here, I have the same problem for the past few months. I can go for days or weeks without the problem repeating after clearing the DTC's from engine 1 & engine 2 (on the S6 there are two ECM's) and the ABS module.

The measuring blocks seem to indicate that the throttle position sensor (TPS) is out of phase between the two TPS's.

Look forward to any thoughts. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Seems like I am having the same problem. It started today all of a sudden I lost power. Then my ESP light came on. Shuddered all the way to work then wouldn't start after work, I had to jump it. Ran terrible, smoking out of tail pipes a lot on the way home. ESP light came on again then engine light started blinking. I have Vag Com, but don't know how to use it other than scanning for codes. Really hoping for some help here. Anyone got anything?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same problem that just started lately on my 2006 Avant. Same symptoms, ESP, EPC, CEL lights up, rough idle... I can usually stop the car, turn engine off, then restart. If that doesn't work the 1st time, the second cycle usually does the trick. Strange that this seems to be a common occurrence but yet no one has found a resolution thus far?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had similar symptoms recently. Sent it to dealer since I bought an aftermaket warranty. They replaced a few things like an O2 sensor, coilpack (for the cylinder that had a misfire) and an engine relay. But the part that fixed it was the high pressure fuel pump. YMMV
Old 04-02-2014, 05:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sherwin
Hey guys, this is quite an irritating issue. I'm having the same issue with my c6 a6.. This has been haunting the car for at least 6 months now and I'm quite frankly, am about to give up on it.

Here is a shot of the problem we've seen in VAGcom:
http://s8.postimage.org/k7zml1zjn/20111124_134215.jpg

It is generally an EPC problem. I will be able to drive it for a while, sometimes an hour, sometimes only 20 minutes and then the EPC light comes up, engine shakes, RPM goes to 1-2t RPM on its own, gas pedal sometimes works, sometimes don't, in a nutshell, it goes limp mode. (but not just underpowered limp mode, sometimes i cannot throttle - but I wait it out, 5-10 minutes, then limp it back home.)
*20-1 hour drive is less than 20 km but traffic is bad in this part of the world.

I have been reading alot in the net specificaly this thread:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ausible-Signal

We have done all adaptation needed.
We have changed 2 things: the throttle body (brand new), and the ECU (again, brand new) - they were not fried previously, but you know how dealerships go about this. they just change and change. if they fixed the problem, i couldn't care less. but here I am 6 months later and it is still having this problem.

Any advice where I should start now? Am I left with changing the engine wiring harness?

For the record: my car is an 05 audi a6, c6 body, 3.0 liter (non-turbo), CVT 7 speed tranny. it is completely bone stock.
I had this issue. For me it turned out to be split wires at the throttle body connector. As an FYI there is a TSB for this; so, a good tech should be checking this. I did the function tests, resistance measurements and swapped out the throttle body before I found it. I inspected the wires and connector at least 10 times before I found the two split wires. I just taped them up and everything has been fine since. I think the only reason I found the splits is becasue I did my last inspection at night. The shiny copper wire stood out like a sore thumb when the flashlight hit it. I plan to get a connector and wire pigtails to fix this permanently but haven't had a chance to yet.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bbpgti
I have the same problem that just started lately on my 2006 Avant. Same symptoms, ESP, EPC, CEL lights up, rough idle... I can usually stop the car, turn engine off, then restart. If that doesn't work the 1st time, the second cycle usually does the trick. Strange that this seems to be a common occurrence but yet no one has found a resolution thus far?
I decided to tackle this job myself this past weekend starting with the basics. I have 100k miles on the odometer so I thought plugs were in order, put them in, started the engine, still the same problem. I then proceded to perform the intake valve inspection procedure since I have never done it. I pulled all associated plumbing and electrical connections then pulled the intake manifold off. I looked down into all 6 ports of the lower manifold and the intake valves were almost spotless. As I was getting ready to install the new upper intake manifold gaskets, I noticed the #1 cylinder port had some blow-by residue all over the area adjacent to that port and the gasket was not making a good seal. I installed the new gaskets, put everything back together, then fired it up, and now NO MORE ISSUES! I have been driving daily since Saturday without a single stumble at any startup. Finicky friggin' engines! That one seal caused all those codes to pop up blaming just about everything I never wanted to replace. Stealership wanted to replace the fuel pressure pump and all coil packs. I told them "NO thank you!". I know that coils aren't a cause for the type of slow progressive issue I had. Coils in my experience either work or they don't so I was suspicious of their intentions. Who knows? Maybe it was a loose connection on one of the electrical connectors? Whatever. My problem was resolved by $8 worth of gaskets and 1hour of my time. I hope this might help someone.
The following users liked this post:
koninoki (11-04-2021)
Old 04-03-2014, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boonies
I can go for days or weeks without the problem repeating after clearing the DTC's from engine 1 & engine 2 (on the S6 there are two ECM's) and the ABS module.

The measuring blocks seem to indicate that the throttle position sensor (TPS) is out of phase between the two TPS's.
I had the issue again this past weekend and was unable to clear the codes in the ECM's and ABS system. I had the car towed in and the finding was that one of the throttle position sensors (there are two in the S6)had a bad connection.

Apparently there is a TSB on the issue, so the shop cut off the plug and re-wired with a new plug and wires picked up from Audi. The pin connector style has been completely changed by Audi, which would seem to indicate that this may be a weakness of the old style pins.

I have had the car back for a couple of days and so far no problems, but that is not definitive so far since I have gone a few weeks in the past without a problem.

Quick Reply: ESP EPC & Engine Light ON