A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

ESP EPC & Engine Light ON

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boonies
I had the issue again this past weekend and was unable to clear the codes in the ECM's and ABS system. I had the car towed in and the finding was that one of the throttle position sensors (there are two in the S6)had a bad connection.

Apparently there is a TSB on the issue, so the shop cut off the plug and re-wired with a new plug and wires picked up from Audi. The pin connector style has been completely changed by Audi, which would seem to indicate that this may be a weakness of the old style pins.

I have had the car back for a couple of days and so far no problems, but that is not definitive so far since I have gone a few weeks in the past without a problem.
I wanted to share another update. I have now had the car on the road continuously since these repairs were made and no more problems. Not sure if this fix will work for all, but it fixed my problems.
The following users liked this post:
koninoki (11-04-2021)
Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default were you able to take PICS?

Originally Posted by bbpgti
I decided to tackle this job myself this past weekend starting with the basics. I have 100k miles on the odometer so I thought plugs were in order, put them in, started the engine, still the same problem. I then proceded to perform the intake valve inspection procedure since I have never done it. I pulled all associated plumbing and electrical connections then pulled the intake manifold off. I looked down into all 6 ports of the lower manifold and the intake valves were almost spotless. As I was getting ready to install the new upper intake manifold gaskets, I noticed the #1 cylinder port had some blow-by residue all over the area adjacent to that port and the gasket was not making a good seal. I installed the new gaskets, put everything back together, then fired it up, and now NO MORE ISSUES! I have been driving daily since Saturday without a single stumble at any startup. Finicky friggin' engines! That one seal caused all those codes to pop up blaming just about everything I never wanted to replace. Stealership wanted to replace the fuel pressure pump and all coil packs. I told them "NO thank you!". I know that coils aren't a cause for the type of slow progressive issue I had. Coils in my experience either work or they don't so I was suspicious of their intentions. Who knows? Maybe it was a loose connection on one of the electrical connectors? Whatever. My problem was resolved by $8 worth of gaskets and 1hour of my time. I hope this might help someone.
I may take a look at this coming weekend...any pics would be great
Old 04-09-2015, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Epc light

I have the same issue; however, my light comes on only when it's rains or the roads are wet. Do you guys think is could be some sort of sensor or the wiring?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can any one help with TSB # for the Throttlebody connector split wiring issue?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boonies
I had the issue again this past weekend and was unable to clear the codes in the ECM's and ABS system. I had the car towed in and the finding was that one of the throttle position sensors (there are two in the S6)had a bad connection.

Apparently there is a TSB on the issue, so the shop cut off the plug and re-wired with a new plug and wires picked up from Audi. The pin connector style has been completely changed by Audi, which would seem to indicate that this may be a weakness of the old style pins. I wanted to share another update. I have now had the car on the road continuously since these repairs were made and no more problems. Not sure if this fix will work for all, but it fixed my problems.
Not sure where you will find the TSB, but my update is that now, over a year and 30k miles later the problem has NOT returned since the throttle body wiring was replaced.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have exactly the same issue in my audi A6 sline quattro A. When I start the car, I feel the engine shudders, lots of white smoke from tailpipe. If I start driving the "ESP fault, check user manual" displays and very soon the "check engine warning" start flashing. Could anyone let me know the possible issue?
Old 11-10-2016, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ram krishna shrestha
I have exactly the same issue in my audi A6 sline quattro A. When I start the car, I feel the engine shudders, lots of white smoke from tailpipe. If I start driving the "ESP fault, check user manual" displays and very soon the "check engine warning" start flashing. Could anyone let me know the possible issue?
Did you read this entire thread? BTW, a flashing engine light is a very bad thing.

Get a vcds hooked up to the car and pull a log and post it.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I drove the car to the near repair center and they diagnosed that in the engine, there is a non synchronization in the timing chain that syncs the pistons. they are recommending to take it to the authorized audi service center. If the engine needs a huge repair or replace, it will leave me penny less.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ram krishna shrestha
So I drove the car to the near repair center and they diagnosed that in the engine, there is a non synchronization in the timing chain that syncs the pistons. they are recommending to take it to the authorized audi service center. If the engine needs a huge repair or replace, it will leave me penny less.
sounds like your timing is out, but you really need to post the VCDS log related to timing for you to really determine it. Ask the Audi place to pull the logs for you and post them here.

also, you might want to post where you are located and if one of us with a VCDS is close by, perhaps we can help you out. If in fact you do have a timing issue: guides, chain, etc...then the cost to fix it can be quite high, since it requires the removal of the engine.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I phoned the service center and they gave me the code 16730. They said there were also other codes and they cleared them out but this one still remained.

Quick Reply: ESP EPC & Engine Light ON