A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Fish or cut bait thoughts/opinions on '05 A6 3.2 w/ bad AC Compressor and valve leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fish or cut bait thoughts/opinions on '05 A6 3.2 w/ bad AC Compressor and valve leak

It looks like I'm finally at the point of deciding whether to keep fixing my '05 A6 3.2 with 154k miles or to just cut my losses. I really like the car when it isn't requiring trips to the shop. It is in very good shape cosmetically and I have always done the scheduled maintenance and repairs. The plan was always to keep the car until 200k but that might not be wise at this point.

Recently it has been making a really loud noise that my young boys described as a jet engine sound, which turns out to be a bad AC compressor (possibly the pulley itself). Local VW dealership quoted $2k to repair and also quoted another $1.2k for fixing valve cover gasket and a vacuum pump. KBB values the car at $6k.

I am almost embarrassed to admit that I have spent over $4,800 in the past 18 months (not counting the $1.5k on Michelin PS2s) trying to fix a surging problem that this forum suggested was a bad TC. Actually it was just a bad throttle body, which only cost a few hundred to replace with a rebuilt one. Unfortunately, that wasn't diagnosed until after I had already spent over $4,500 on all sorts of other items like carbon cleaning, fuel sensors, fuel pumps (both), coils, belts, new ATF, transportation back and forth from the Audi dealer 75 miles away, etc.

Thoughts comments? It looks like a used AC Compressor costs $500 and probably another $500 for installation but then I still have a car with 154k miles and a leak in the valve cover gasket but, hey, it does have cleaned valves, new fuel sensors, fuel pumps, coil, belts, ATF and a rebuilt throttle body and some fairly new PS2's!

Interested to hear what everyone thinks.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by wtmmm
It looks like I'm finally at the point of deciding whether to keep fixing my '05 A6 3.2 with 154k miles or to just cut my losses. I really like the car when it isn't requiring trips to the shop. It is in very good shape cosmetically and I have always done the scheduled maintenance and repairs. The plan was always to keep the car until 200k but that might not be wise at this point.

Recently it has been making a really loud noise that my young boys described as a jet engine sound, which turns out to be a bad AC compressor (possibly the pulley itself). Local VW dealership quoted $2k to repair and also quoted another $1.2k for fixing valve cover gasket and a vacuum pump. KBB values the car at $6k.

I am almost embarrassed to admit that I have spent over $4,800 in the past 18 months (not counting the $1.5k on Michelin PS2s) trying to fix a surging problem that this forum suggested was a bad TC. Actually it was just a bad throttle body, which only cost a few hundred to replace with a rebuilt one. Unfortunately, that wasn't diagnosed until after I had already spent over $4,500 on all sorts of other items like carbon cleaning, fuel sensors, fuel pumps (both), coils, belts, new ATF, transportation back and forth from the Audi dealer 75 miles away, etc.

Thoughts comments? It looks like a used AC Compressor costs $500 and probably another $500 for installation but then I still have a car with 154k miles and a leak in the valve cover gasket but, hey, it does have cleaned valves, new fuel sensors, fuel pumps, coil, belts, ATF and a rebuilt throttle body and some fairly new PS2's!

I'd keep it!

Simply put, you've fixed a LOT on this car, consider it preventative maintenance...as for the work you are looking to do, the AC compressor can be relatively costly and your budget it about right. But for valve cover gaskets...that is less than an hour job with a $40 (max) part! Any decent indy shop will do this for under $150 including parts and labor!

Spend the $1K or so, get it running at 100% and enjoy it.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Can you drive thru the winter season and worry about it next year before it gets hot?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

raj99.... thanks for the comments, it would be nice to keep it. I just worry about additional repairs on top of what I would have to pay for this and all other repairs recently

uberwgn.... good question, the strange thing is that AC still works, though I'm told that when it goes out completely it may cause more damage to the rest of the AC system. The noise is pretty bad, makes a nice car appear to be a complete beater. Yesterday was 95 in GA so AC is pretty much a necessity now but soon it will be cool enough to not need AC for a while, of course by then it might have more damage with a higher expense to repair.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

My 05 4.2 went through approximately $15k between the 130k and the 140k mile mark. I gave up and bought a 2015. I came to the conclusion that the car's designed life expectancy was either 9 years or 130k miles. I loved the car, but it was just falling apart no matter how nice the exterior and interior looked.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Kevin, how is your new car? Did you get a diesel?
Old 09-06-2014, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Thanks Kevin, how is your new car? Did you get a diesel?
I got a 2015 TDI Prestige with all of the options except the B&O stereo. It is a big step up from the C6. But I do miss the sound of the V8, the highway cruising power, the under seat full size draws and the larger trunk.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can anyone speak to the quality of Mahle-Behr and/or Denso products? They each have AC compressors for a fraction of the price of a new OEM Audi version but I'm not sure about the quality/reliability. Comments?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Can anyone speak to the quality of Mahle-Behr and/or Denso products? They each have AC compressors for a fraction of the price of a new OEM Audi version but I'm not sure about the quality/reliability. Comments?
I recall reading up that the Mahle-Behr products are considered quite good. I know they are based out of Stuttgart and I believe they do act as an OEM to some manufacturers.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd fix and spend on the car if im still at the 100-110k miles range and enjoy it for anther 30k miles or so but at your mileage I'd only keep it if I can fix it myself.......

Quick Reply: Fish or cut bait thoughts/opinions on '05 A6 3.2 w/ bad AC Compressor and valve leak