A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

"headlight range' warning light question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default "headlight range' warning light question

I have a 2008 A6 that is giving the chime and the 'headlight range' symbol. However, when the headlights are turned on both headlights go through their up/down attitude motion test. So, does'nt that mean that the range motors in both lights are functioning ?

Tech says it needs a new $1600 headlight job...I'd like to know what has failed. And IF I need to replace headlight I would not buy a new one, I'd buy used and do the R&R myself. Does the bumper have to be removed ?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
I have a 2008 A6 that is giving the chime and the 'headlight range' symbol. However, when the headlights are turned on both headlights go through their up/down attitude motion test. So, does'nt that mean that the range motors in both lights are functioning ?

Tech says it needs a new $1600 headlight job...I'd like to know what has failed. And IF I need to replace headlight I would not buy a new one, I'd buy used and do the R&R myself. Does the bumper have to be removed ?
To answer your last question first, Yes you will need to remove the front bumper to replace the headlight assembly.

As for the symbol, I assume you reset things with your VCDS first...did the error come back right away? Also, anything associated with the following faults: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...(Dynamic_Light)

Also take a look at this thread: Yellow warning light- Dynamic Headlight range control faulty | Audi-Sport.net It shows that the levelling arm could have broken - which will also give you a similar error

Name:  P1040704.jpg
Views: 9620
Size:  4.91 MB

Good luck and let us know what it was
Old 11-22-2015, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is most likely the adaptive headlight adjustment. There are two motors inside the headlight, one moving the beam up and down to adjust the range depending on the front / rear load distribution in the car and another that moves the beams left / right when steering wheel is moved in the respective direction. From your statement above the range adjustment is OK, if you have the error the left / right adaptive headlight motor is the culprit.

I had this problem recently and fixed it. Unfortunately the error code in the dash does not tell you which headlight has the problem so you will have to check both of them. You will have to remove the headlights from the car (requires bumper removal). Be careful with the adjustment sockets (behind the bolts) not to move them when you undo each of the bolts that hold the headlight. If they move the headlight alignment will change. Once the headlights are removed here is what to do:
- remove the large plastic door to access the HID bulb
- disconnect the high tension power line from the bulb and remove the bulb
- You should be able to locate the two motors, one in the corner that has a white plastic flat connector (that is the range adjustment) and one in a black plastic rectangular housing sitting right next to the headlight reflector towards the bottom (that is the adaptive motor).
- There are lots of wires inside the headlight, you want to look for a bundle of 4 or 5 black wires that come from the side of the headlight, snake around the bottom of the reflector and go towards the side of the adaptive motor. The bundle is held in a couple of places with two white zip ties. You want to look for one (or more) of those wires that are broken. It seems to be a problem on these cars, due to high temperatures inside the housing the cable insulation gets brittle and breaks apart. You need to locate the broken wire and solder it back. Most likely you will need to insert an extension since those wires have little to no slack. I removed the range motor to be able to get better access and move the whole reflector assembly up and down.

It is pretty tight in there you will need good light and some thin needle nose pliers or tweezers to locate the broken wire and solder. May need to cut off the zip ties holding together the bundle of black wires and spread them out to figure out which one is cut.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the bumper have to be removed ?
If you have headlight washer you will have to disconnect the feed hose as you start to remove the bumper.
Be careful, the plastic fittings brake easy.

Last edited by royclark; 11-23-2015 at 10:16 AM.