A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

I did 130mph (Video). What was your max?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by urs6_ma
People ask "how fast do you go on the track?"

They don't really understand the response about the straightaway being the most boring part of the experience. Foot on the floor, giving or taking pointbys, checking gauges, relaxing shoulders, braking zone coming up, BRAKE...

Oh, and it doesn't take much to ruin your day when you're driving at high speed.

Watch carefully at around 1:28. Car gets just a bit unsettled, probably hit a bump or depression in the road, then its over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbChftpIk2Y
Sad to see that. But that does not respond to the "how fast do you go on the track?" question. That, was on a public road and the driver was stupid enough to keep accelerating after hitting road imperfections or when the car started shaking and he was even more stupid to hit the brake. Fatal mistake. At that speed, brakes are your keys to death. You got to know how to use them. He is probably not an experienced driver and he obviously does not know how to react and act when you feel like you are going to lose control... And 180mph on a public road? That's insane!!!

As for the "how fast do you go on the track?" question, I have never been on a track but based on the several videos I've watched, I'd say driving on a track is more about accelerating hard, braking and negotiating turns. So you can't really go high high speed like on a straight straight road.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
And 180mph on a public road? That's insane!!!
I'm guessing you have never driven in Germany, where speeds like that are not only legal, but doable on many parts of the Autobahn. During my 4 week European Delivery trip I hit 170+ mph pretty much every day once the car was properly broken in. At one point I had to get out of the way of a Mercedes SLS AMG. I believe that car can do over 200 mph, so my top speed limit of a 174 mph was no match and I had to accept defeat .

But having said that, you need proper roads for these kinds of speeds and disciplined drivers that don't doodle around on the left lanes like here in the USA.

Germany is actually quite an interesting case study for what proper drivers education, strict regulations on roadworthiness, investments in infrastructure and fuel prices about double the USA can accomplish. Most Germans actually voluntarily drive 130-140 kph (~85 mph) on the Autobahn, even though they could legally drive much faster. They also stay in the right lane unless they are passing somebody knowing that the left lane is the fast lane. And all this results in less highway fatalities per capita than the USA for example. It regulates itself, because driving fast all the time comes at a fortune in fuel cost. Just to give you an idea, I ended up filling the tank at least once a day.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-17-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing about going fast is how tunnel vision you get; the road seems to narrow dramatically.

Many years ago I had a older Maserati Mistral, which one night at about 2AM I was coming over a suspension bridge with absolutely no traffic in sight fore or aft. I lined up the car dead center on the double yellow line and hit it going over the top. I backed off at 130 mph halfway down the back side, the bridge just appeared too narrow for my comfort zone.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once hit 170mph a few years back in my lightly modified 08 Infiniti G37S 6MT coupe. I'll admit it was somewhat foolish but I was on my way back home from the lake at a huge Bike meet in Upstate NY (that thousands of bikers attend...). I was on the highway and was blocked in by several bikers (front, rear and right side) and was stuck in the left lane. They would not let me by unless I had race two of their guys whom one had a Hayabusa and the other a GXSR 1000. So I thought... ok, let's see what this thing can do. From the start both bikers we're about a car and a half or so ahead, slowly I started gaining a couple feet, the speedometer stated the car tops out at 165mph. As I was in 6th gear and stepping on it, the needle was passed 165mph and my car was still going faster. At this time I was right next to the Hayabusa and the GXSR was about 2 feet behind him. The gps on my phone at the time stated 170mph.

With that being said... I don't recommend anyone speeding more than the normal highway driving. When your speeding at rates higher than 100mph or so on public highways, all it takes is one screw up/bump/animal in the road/weather and more to take your life away and others to add.

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 02-18-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm guessing you have never driven in Germany, where speeds like that are not only legal, but doable on many parts of the Autobahn. During my 4 week European Delivery trip I hit 170+ mph pretty much every day once the car was properly broken in. At one point I had to get out of the way of a Mercedes SLS AMG. I believe that car can do over 200 mph, so my top speed limit of a 174 mph was no match and I had to accept defeat .

But having said that, you need proper roads for these kinds of speeds and disciplined drivers that don't doodle around on the left lanes like here in the USA.

Germany is actually quite an interesting case study for what proper drivers education, strict regulations on roadworthiness, investments in infrastructure and fuel prices about double the USA can accomplish. Most Germans actually voluntarily drive 130-140 kph (~85 mph) on the Autobahn, even though they could legally drive much faster. They also stay in the right lane unless they are passing somebody knowing that the left lane is the fast lane. And all this results in less highway fatalities per capita than the USA for example. It regulates itself, because driving fast all the time comes at a fortune in fuel cost. Just to give you an idea, I ended up filling the tank at least once a day.
I did drive on the Autobahn and I think you're right. Still, I love myself too much to take too much risk. Audi's are awesome and stable vehicles but what reminds me that I should slow down is the speedometer. 200km/h is enough for me lol. Got nothing to prove to no one

Last edited by kelisko; 02-19-2017 at 12:11 PM.