A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

New to Me 05 A6.....Intro and progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back on topic.

New sunvisor is in, along with the retaining clip. All copacetic there.

Waiting on the NAV install. It's freaking COLD outside, and I don't feel like doing the job twice. New antenna extension cable should be here in a matter of a few days, and I'm working my long week next week (M-T-F-S-S) so no biggie, no time lost.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh yeah, threw my "other" driver car up on CL today as a "let's see which sells first, the Audi or the Corolla." I've had one person come look at the corolla, another scheduled for today, and multiple phone calls and emails already.

Guess no one wants to pay for a good clean Audi. No skin off my back! Sell the Corolla, means I'll be in the Audi for around $2K all said and done.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just my luck. Just tossed in the nav dvd drive. It's a dud, won't accept a dvd. No resistance at all, dvd just glides in without engaging the mechanism. Great.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, pleased to report that after a psuedo-fix on the nav player, it's in and functional. Just waiting on the fakra c extension cable to come in. I'll be providing some pretty clear pictures of how to install that cable, and after that, I should have a fully functional nav system!
Old 11-05-2014, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

So........I just sold a car. I'll give you one guess what it WASN'T.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
So........I just sold a car. I'll give you one guess what it WASN'T.
I'm guessing that you still have the Audi. The question is has your wife took position of it yet?
Old 11-05-2014, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, and no. She's not getting this one.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well how's this for a deal. Still waiting on the Fakra extension cable to show up after 18 days. Only suppliers seem to be in freaking china.

Navigation Upgrade costs:

DVD player from ebay: $150
Fakra C Female Extension cable (from ebay, only place I could find that wasn't $75): $9

Recoupments:

$75 on DVD player due to me having to fix the load/eject mechanism.
Sold the 08-09 Maps DVD that was included for $75

Total investment? $9 for the extension cable, and the $10 shipping paid on the DVD drive. Can't beat that.

And.........

Found out I've got the hot air on the outside dash vents issue. Going to pull apart the solenoid mechanism and clean everything up and see if that fixes it first. That thread on here detailing it is simply awesome.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Blah, got impatient and ordered one of the magnetic nav antenna's from the auction site. Got here in 2 days, and went in the following day. Nav works like a champ. A little disenchanted as there's NO street names listed at all in simple map view, doesn't tell you what street you're on currently (come on Audi, even my 05 Chrysler tells me what street I'm currently on), but when you actually program something in, it works great. Not that I'll use it, I'm good with directions and have an android device when I need to figure out how to get somewhere, but the maps are nice to have as a quick viewing reference.

So what's next for the car? I'm thinking an 09-11 front Grille to get rid of that ugly bar in the 05-08, do a restore job on the headlights to get rid of some minor oxidation, and probably some snow tires before winter really hits, then new shoes of the 19" or 20" variety come next spring. Oh, and window tint, lol.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Blah, got impatient and ordered one of the magnetic nav antenna's from the auction site. Got here in 2 days, and went in the following day. Nav works like a champ. A little disenchanted as there's NO street names listed at all in simple map view, doesn't tell you what street you're on currently (come on Audi, even my 05 Chrysler tells me what street I'm currently on), but when you actually program something in, it works great. Not that I'll use it, I'm good with directions and have an android device when I need to figure out how to get somewhere, but the maps are nice to have as a quick viewing reference.

So what's next for the car? I'm thinking an 09-11 front Grille to get rid of that ugly bar in the 05-08, do a restore job on the headlights to get rid of some minor oxidation, and probably some snow tires before winter really hits, then new shoes of the 19" or 20" variety come next spring. Oh, and window tint, lol.
The reason you don't have the street names appearing is probably because your MMI s/w is antiquated.

The latest ver is 46.1.0 and for the C6 you need to do the following to determine the correct version of s/w:

1. Press ‘CAR’…then release
2. Press ‘SETUP’….then release
3. Press the ‘top right button’, next to the joystick and click on ‘Settings’
4. Move the joystick to ‘Version’ and click it
5. It will display the correct ‘Version’ for all your systems

Quick Reply: New to Me 05 A6.....Intro and progress